YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Beartooth Highway
Reply #15 - 09/01/16 at 21:39:12

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/356/Montana/Beartooth-Pass.html#sthash.5fiO...

Quote:
North entrance....Go south of Billings and I-90 on highway 212 through Red Lodge (MT). About 15 minutes south of town you go UP! way up to nearly 11,000 feet. Extreme road. About 2 hrs later after going over the top and down a even narrower south decent into Wyoming, you can go West into Yellowstone Park on 212 through Cook City, or East to Cody on the Chief Joseph scenic Highway, and it is nearly as good as the Beartooth! From the East do yourselves a favor and come from Sheridan over the Bighorn Mountains(another great route!). Suggest if going South to forget Yellowstone Park and go east! Fantastic mountain route. If you gotta see the park..Turn around at Sheridan and go back in on 14 through Cody. Don't miss these roads! - See more at: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/356/Montana/Beartooth-Pass.html#sthash.5fiO...

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 09/02/16 at 20:27:51

Was reading the reviews on Bear-Tooth --- the only way I could afford to do a trip like this would involve a lot of camping .  

Anybody in the black-hills area have tent spots available ?  

Roll Eyes

1471023776603.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #17 - 09/02/16 at 21:06:57

I agree with you MM, camping it would be. We need to start planning rides for next year. I would like to do at least 2 rides. July fourth week is already taken for me. It appears I will be in Orlando that week.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 09/02/16 at 21:32:18

There is free camping along the Natchez trace (3-one on each end and one in the middle).  

from my place deals gap is a one easy day there and $20.oo tent sight , then one easy day to Dave's ,  .     I like those 6 hour day rides over those 12 hour rides.      Tongue

I need a ride in April or May ,  in June there will be a CMAUSA National Rally , then in August there will be a CMAUSA State Rally ,

I'd like a 5-10 day ride but don't want to get that far from home without a second biker for back-up.    The Black-Hills area is on my bucket list !  Roll Eyes , but that "above-the-tree-line" stuff makes me think August --- that is also Sergis SD. time with lots of camp-ground in the area. ???  Huh

Ain't no shortage of places to go , its just planning the logistics and then just GO !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #19 - 09/02/16 at 22:22:02

Ideally June, July and August are my best bets for taking off. Other times are doable but not certain for me. Where are your CMA rallies going to be?

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 09/03/16 at 03:52:01

Dave and MM's farms are group spoilers, to be sure.   We need to include a trip back to one of them next year, certainly.

Next issues you will have to deal with is RAIN PREDICTIONS and vacation time off.

Several of us (myself included) generally need to take vacation during summer recess (June July first two weeks in August).   To say anything else is to quietly cut down on the folks who can actually come.   Very early in the summer is cooler, but this also tends to throw you more into conflict with that 'ol debble RAIN.

Example, I had to miss a football game to go to Dave's and this was unheard of at work (I got an exception due to a mgmt schedule shift which resulted in my late vacation time).   I am told it will not happen again, even if I do schedule it months in advance.

Planning group motorcycle trips devolves on to the folks who are going, and I think our days of big 10-12 people trips is pretty much over now.   So, bluntly, plan next year's trips to suit the people who say they are going ..... then jest do it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #21 - 09/03/16 at 16:58:43

I don't see  sticky for this trip yet...

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 09/03/16 at 18:56:26

So from Lynchburg to Henryetta ~640 miles
Henryetta to Ogallala ~660 miles
Ogallala to Red Lodge ~570 miles
to ride 50 miles?

Be a shame not to visit yellerstone and see yogi.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 09/03/16 at 18:58:03

pg wrote on 09/03/16 at 16:58:43:
I don't see  sticky for this trip yet...

Best regards,

where do you hail PG?  gonna make the trip?

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #24 - 09/03/16 at 21:19:03

June, July, early August tends to work for me also. Generally speaking if I have a couple of months heads up I can get the dates that I want off.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #25 - 09/03/16 at 21:46:58

Yea , Versey  I might have to wait till I really retire to do a 1900 mile ride (one way )  .    400 miles a day (ish) so 10 day round trip ... I would have to play catch-up on chores for a month !     I lack about a week more to make up for the 5 days I took off for Dave's trip , but it was well worth it !  Smiley

pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #26 - 09/03/16 at 22:56:07

verslagen1 wrote on 09/03/16 at 18:58:03:
gonna make the trip?

I'm certainly interested, but it is more if I can get away from work.  That is the challenging part for me.  Two years ago I did a 3K trip and had a wonderful time and this year unfortunately it was a no go.   I tentatively start the plan and see how it goes...  This is a nice little spreadsheet I use to estimate the costs.  I don't think we can attach excel files so here is a snap shot.  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 12/15/17 at 14:39:18

time to poke the bear... tooth hwy.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 12/15/17 at 15:47:48

Sounds like an absolutely gruesome place to get some road rash.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 12/15/17 at 21:18:07

I looked at m/c roads and if we stay at red lodge, beartooth hwy is it.
But if we stay in Cody there's 4 different loops to go on.
1. cody via chief joesph to beartooth to redlodge about 115 miles.
2. cody to yellerstone 100 miles
or 2 more roads towards little big horn for 150 miles each.
so 2 to 300 day rides.

and a cabin for 4 at $66
http://www.codyponderosa.com/rates/rates.html

restaurants, museums and I'm sure there's a hospital for jog.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 20:48:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Beartooth Highway