Send Topic Print
Bags (Read 357 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Bags
Reply #45 - 08/28/16 at 22:13:20

I wonder what's going to wind up in them saddle bags,rifles ,pistols,ammo, misc skulls, etc

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #46 - 08/28/16 at 22:34:56

I once, picked myself up, by my bootstraps... Huh

What a dumb saying... Undecided

Face plant... Shocked

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #47 - 08/29/16 at 16:57:53

Brakkits made it in today.
So, do I drill a hole in the fender braces?
That's the only thing I am Seeing..
Gotta get a couple of bolts and Aaacorn Knutz.
The holes in the bags Almost line up with the brakkits..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #48 - 08/29/16 at 19:54:41

Wow they got there fast, got check today too. The bolt flanges go on the inside of fender & think the bolts are removed that mount eyebrows to fender are used to mount brackets.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #49 - 08/29/16 at 20:08:50

Ruttly, that's right. They mount on the underside of the fender using the two bolts that line up with the bracket. However. If I recall correctly you need to take out the stock bolts and get new bolts that are about 1/4" longer (or the thickness of the bracket flange). The best option when getting the new bolts is to get Allen head bolts since thet are a tad bit shallower.

JOG, it is MUCH easier to ddo all that with the rear tire removed, so if you have a reason to remove the rear tire let that be the time to do the bracket install. It can be done with the tire on, but it's a real pain in the arse.

If you need piccs of my old bracket install I can dig one up.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #50 - 08/29/16 at 20:16:44

Justin,

Allen Button Heads in SS work the best....

Kenny G

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #51 - 08/29/16 at 21:07:28

Stew is right they were freaking hard to get at with wheel on or use atv jack and remove shocks then jack it up more gives you the room you need. Strap the bike to the jack and strap it to something heavy so it dunt fall over, I don't want to hear you cry when your baby falls off the jack!!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #52 - 08/30/16 at 03:49:56

Well..  I am IN TRUBBLE, cuz I don't have two bolts that line up with the brackets.
I Am glad that you guys told me to put them on the inside..
That's gonna make the bags hang much better.

But will the taller tire still work?
I did have a Dunlop 140/90/15 on the other one,,I Think it's what it was..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #53 - 08/30/16 at 04:50:15

JOG, I have the larger rear and it fit fine.

On the bolts, look at the pillions and see the two acorn nuts towards front. One of these is the front bolt. About half way down the inside of the fender is a second bolt you only see forum the underside of the fender. It has no acorn nut to see on the outside as it screws into the pillion. This is your second bolt.

Let me go look for a pic.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #54 - 08/30/16 at 04:51:50

Don't sweat it,, after I posted that I went to look..
It's not complicated..

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #55 - 08/30/16 at 04:55:07

OK, cool. Here's the pic I had handy of my homemade bracket mock-up, but the stock connection and layout is just the same.

IMG_20160505_210743_002.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #56 - 09/07/16 at 08:19:25

JOG...did you get the brackets and bags installed?  We expect pictures, preferably without duct tape holding everything together! Shocked Shocked Shocked

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #57 - 09/07/16 at 08:48:02

Stew,

You should think about selling the saddle bag supports now that you have the design worked out. Your design sure looks superior to the factory brackets.

Or provide drawerings for the guys that could make them for themselves.

Kenny G

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #58 - 09/07/16 at 09:15:16

Thanks KennyG! I really wish I had taken the time to get good pictures and measurements along the way.  It was a lot of trial and error and when I finally got them dialed in just right I realized I didn't get any pictures of the progress. And I was rushing to get the bags on the bike to leave for the Dragon that week and when I finally got them to test fit just right, I didn't take them back off.

I keep saying that the next time I need to take things apart for any reason I will take some measurements and better pictures, but so far the dang things have held up pretty well through two trips to the Dragon and my normal around town riding and I haven't needed to fool with them.

The very short explanation of what I did is use either 90 degree or 45 degree bends to minimize confusion. I know i started with 45 degrees for the back one, but after the initial trial I MAY have changed that to 30 degrees for better fitment...but I just can't remember.  First I cut 1' pieces of the strap and stuck it up behind the pillion to park my holes. I drilled the holes, rounded the top just to remove any sharp corners. Then I bolted it on loosely so I could mark my line for the bends, and then bent the strapping in a vise. IIRC, my step out was about 1" and that was about right to clear the shocks and belt guard (mainly the belt guard).  Now remember that on the front brace a 1" step out is 1" since it is bent at 90 degrees, but the rear one you have to do the math (I can't remember) because you are bending that one at a 45 degree angle and if you measure 1" bend to bend it'll be slightly less than 1" total step out.  

After I got the two vertical braces bent at the correct angles, I then blocked up the bags next to the bike exactly where I wanted them to ride, and then got the vertical supports positioned at the right spot. Now remember that my bags came with the horizontal support that you see pictured, so I had to use this piece to keep the supports at the proper spacing because this has to be attached from the insude of the bag and bolted through the vertical supports later.  Once spacing was all dialed in, I marked the "extra" sticking out below the bags and I cut that off about 1" above my mark. Then I drilled holes for the horizontal brace, marked the proper spacing to drill corresponding holes in the bags, and sandwiched everything together.

Later, I realized that the "tail" of the bags were a bit more wobbly that I liked so I got some longer bolts and a piece of aluminum bar, and added an external support that reached out to the back end of the bags and that seemed to really get it secured and it's been great ever since.  See picture below for underside view of finished product with additional brace.

IMG_20160511_181026_001.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #59 - 09/07/16 at 10:57:04

Stew,

Thanks for the information.

Your bag supports are really well thought out.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 10:42:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.