badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Tasty Thumpers
Reply #75 - 05/25/16 at 20:08:16

That little Harley was a 2 stroke, they called them Rapido's in the 70's.
They did sell another Italian import as a Harley also, a 350 4 stroke single, I think they called them the Sprint.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #76 - 05/25/16 at 20:18:50

That was the Aermacchi that Harley sold.

I believe Harley purchased them at one point and was making some of the V-twin engines in their factory. Italian unions are notorious for impeding progress.

The Aermacchi bikes sold in Italy were red with some white trim. At that point in time almost all Italian motorcycles for local consumption were were painted red.

Kenny G

Aermacchi.jpg
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #77 - 05/25/16 at 22:49:46

Kris01 wrote on 05/25/16 at 19:09:48:
Which ones?

That one ^. a 125, that's not really a thumper either. The Aermacchi Harley Davidsons, they're another story.....They're cool, and proper thumpers.
http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-italian-motorcycles/aermacchi-harle...

Snap, you guys beat me to it. Here's another, anyway

11_black_HD_Aermacchi.jpg
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #78 - 05/26/16 at 10:59:31

My first ride on a m/c was my neighbors dad's Sprint, I was about 11 or 12. A low pipe red or orange one I recall, guess I should thank, or blame, him for my lifelong addiction.

Who else can recall their first ride?
What bike was it on?

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #79 - 05/26/16 at 11:02:52

HovisPresley wrote on 05/20/16 at 17:14:19:
Gizzo, +2
This Savage likes that Duke as well, as the 'no-cam-chain' mod shows:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2s7i3bl.jpg

Hovis, could you please enlighten me ?

My first bike was a Ducati 450 single and I bought the Savage for that very "big bore thumper" thing about her...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #80 - 05/26/16 at 11:10:15

Kenny G wrote on 05/25/16 at 20:18:50:
That was the Aermacchi that Harley sold.

I believe Harley purchased them at one point and was making some of the V-twin engines in their factory. Italian unions are notorious for impeding progress.

The Aermacchi bikes sold in Italy were red with some white trim. At that point in time almost all Italian motorcycles for local consumption were were painted red.

Kenny G

Not entirely correct on many counts.

Moto Guzzi you could have in any color, as long as it was red.

Benelli, Mondial, Gilera, Moto Morini were not hampered by wholesale bulk orders of red paint...  Grin

As for he workers' unions, I'll pretend I never read that one - it's like blaming Harley Davidson selling OHV bikes 50 years after the competition has gone OHC because of the workers...

The truth is Europe (and Italy, at that) are so crowded and hilly (compared to the USA) you need a light, nimble, manoeauverable bike in order to stay ahead of the competition.

Brit bikes were quick in 650/750 guise but their 500cc twins were hopeless against Gilera and Gozzi 500cc thumpers...

The Aermacchi company built airplanes and prize-winning racing machines BUT we lost the war and YOU got to have free bikes to sell in the States.
Incidentally, European bikes were 5-speed but the US-version were 4 speed ...   Huh
How so ? It's still one full hand to count to five...  Grin

Pity to see so many makes of old gone bust because of japanese and chinese imports...  Lips Sealed

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #81 - 05/26/16 at 12:58:11

That "pseudo-bevel-drive" Savage is a strange one.
When I've got some time I'll try and find more about it.
All I know is that it's a few years old, and it's from Germany.
I'm not sure why someone would build a fake bevel-drive (maybe it's an external oil passage?).
It's hard to see from these (low res) photos any detail that would convince me one way or the other.
The chrome covers, both sides, aren't 'Savage-looking', and the guy clearly has spent money on various bits'n'bobs (the forward controls are nice) but then the exhaust looks standard  Huh

All in all, the Savage is very popular in Germany.
Has been for 30 years.
Racial stereo-types aside, the Germans are well known for the excellent quality of their engineering.
I really hope this isn't just someone who has attached a bit of pipe to the outside of his engine.

I think I'll join the German Savage forum and ask around  Wink

Meanwhile, back in Tasty Thumperville:

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #82 - 05/26/16 at 13:11:11

Hovis.....you and DesertRat sure enjoy the wild side of the Savage!

Most of them just don't look like anything I would want to build, own or ride.  They appear to be mostly "Artcycles"...if there is such a thing.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #83 - 05/26/16 at 15:05:36

HovisPresley wrote on 05/26/16 at 12:58:11:
Meanwhile, back in Tasty Thumperville:

That is YUMMY  Kiss

*more more more pictures please, or a link PLEASE

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #84 - 05/26/16 at 15:29:59

found it Hovis - (translated from Russian)

Quote:
New "Savage"
Text: Bob Clark / Natalia Nurov
Photo: Bob Clark
If the motorcycle could resent the fact that he was given the name, it is not appropriate to his appearance and expected role, it would be "Suzuki Savage". We are talking about one-cylinder motorcycle with engine capacity of 650 cubic meters. inches in the style of "custom", the Japanese understand the term. Before the advent of the last batch of Japanese similarities "Harley" the word "custom" for the Japanese meant nothing, as a motorcycle in the "traditional style" with awkward suspension, barely meeting the braking requirements, small gas tank, a huge rear wheel and a big ugly seat low enough to make it look like a "tractor from Milwaukee." Yes, and besides, he had to be the most awkward name.

I never asked Mark Graham, why he generally bought a Suzuki "Savage", but, realizing that he had no lack of money, I can only assume that it was advantageous for him the transaction (at the time) and that it We had some plans for this bike. Despite the fact that he was given an absolutely wrong name, is in it and something good - for example, single-cylinder engine 652 cc. see (this is for those who are interested in Hulk with a large volume in the style of old English clunkers) elektrostartёr, overhead camshaft and a five-speed gearbox with reliable and noiseless main belt drive: and no oil leaks, bruises on his legs after jumping on Kickstarter and trends fail every lamppost.

First, (this was a few years ago) Mark has created a long and smooth on the bike in the form of a Swedish-style, using the engine (and even some parts) of the aforementioned Suzuki "Savage". Even with the application of traditional Scandinavian "format" very long forks, a very thin frame and a huge rear-wheel motorcycle, with his rather old-fashioned and rough single-cylinder engine, it was greeted with enthusiasm and approved by almost all who saw it. It was proof that one person can do to unpopular motorcycle in a tiny workshop in North Yorkshire, with only a cheap welding machine, basic hand tools and fresh ideas. Over the years, the original motorcycle photos repeatedly published in various journals about custom bikes, while he gradually changed shape and color from red to blue and from blue to black. And then he disappeared into the studio for a few years, since Mark was working on a new project. Early last year, he re-emerged into the light, like a butterfly from a cocoon - black, short and plump. I wasted no time and quickly went to North Yorkshire to point the camera to the latest version of the long-suffering "Savage". He was no longer thin and long, but turned into a short and thick, with broad wheels (of course, without wings), with an all-new frame, looking as if she, like a vine, threw single cylinder engine "Suzuki". Motorcycle color was absolutely black.

This latest "incarnation" was created with all of the same hand tools and thanks to the hard work and ingenuity. In addition, the US used a special bending machine and a modern welding machine, bought Mark after people saw the "Savage" (and many others of his motorcycle), persuaded him to make the frame and complete their own motorcycles. (Soon he realized that all this is quite troublesome, and returned to work on his brainchild of and ordinary farmer's life.) Ultra-wide rear wheel diameter of 25 cm and the engine - the only part, taken from the "previous life", "the Savage" (although many parts spinning -vertyatsya on other bikes - in fact Yorkshireman did not throw). Engine needs only cosmetic repairs, and on the rear wheel with spokes put the latest (at the time) 230 th bus "Avon", that it was coming to a less thick 130-mu front wheel rim and spokes, with the same. Short front fork - the result of an unnatural "communication" between the shorter "feathers" on "the Savage" and lower "glasses" old Suzuki model "RGV250", connected by aluminum pieces that Mark has turned into a pair of traverse without the aid of a machine type CNC machines. The original front brake caliper and disc from the "Savage" now serve their services with the help of the master cylinder and a single brake circuit of the "Earl" stainless steel company.

At the rear of the motorcycle dominate as a huge rear tire, and a wide aluminum disk, closing the drive pulley. The latter is a bearing structure for the rear wheel, the frame is fastened in three places, and on the other side of the wheel axle located in the center of the smaller diameter aluminum disk. It is matched with a suitable hole in the back of the frame with the normal tension of the drive belt, obtained by using a large roller with a displaced center, mounted on the frame. But I admire is the frame, the way it is "overgrown" the engine, especially on the working side of the engine where the pipe as it grew into it. They keep the large hand carved aluminum structures which support the modernized bearing drive from the gearbox. This frame design owner has thought up himself. Believe me - frame, make this guy more original than all this junk, taken together, created some so-called motorcycle designers, praising the American television.

Each part of this bike is perfect, not only from a technical point of view. All parts - it is non-standard samples are placed in an extremely beautiful from an aesthetic point of view of the body. Mark - a self-taught in the field of welding (and in all other areas), but the welds and the joints of the frame are flawless. Mark has adapted the aluminum pieces in many places the bike, using them as fasteners. Almost everything except the engine, wheels, brake parts and seat incredibly small (supposedly made ​​from calf leather with ear, with supposedly enough residues and wallet), handcrafted Mark. Even the gas tank, which at first was a serial "mustang tank", has undergone many hours of processing to look as it looks now - perfectly smooth, with hidden supports and filler cap. Every detail is hidden the result of hard work and human thought to create this bike. As a rule, I am not interested in motorcycles, which are almost not functional, but the custom-bike is exceptional both in terms of design and development. And now - the good news: it is already available and ready to use: you just need to have 5,000 pounds and a large pillow, so that you can sit on it.

TECHNO

* Owner: Mark Graham, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
* Engine: "Suzuki Savage 650" 1992 g / in. Serial carburetor equipped with an aluminum filter by hand. A single self-made exhaust pipe with double-skinned. Decompressor with manual control. The drive pulley lengthened the gearbox to set the wide rear tire using a hand-made aluminum outer suspension ball bearing.
* Frame: single tubular steel frame is rigid, designed and assembled by the owner. Handmade aluminum battery plates with fastening parts made ​​of stainless steel. Made by hand gear shift stainless steel and brake levers are mounted on aluminum supports.
* Front: shortened "feathers" from the fork "LS650 Savage", fitted to the lower "cup" of the old Suzuki model "RGV250". Handcrafted aluminum traverse. Steering wheel with central support, which is also the spool of the steering column. Bush, brake rotor and caliper from "LS650 Savage". Welded rim 12.5 cm with spokes made ​​of stainless steel. A single aluminum support bracket slide handmade and fasteners made ​​of stainless steel. Bus "Pirelli" 130 / 90x15 inches. Handmade stainless steel axle. The main cylinder of the motorcycle brake system with stainless steel pipe trial of "Earl". Clutch lever and the cable from the "LS650 Savage".
* Back: drive pulley and belt leading from the "LS650 Savage". Brake disc and caliper on a scooter. Master Cylinder "Suzuki" made ​​with hand brake reservoir and stainless tube of "Earl". Welded rim 10x15 inches, attached to the hub "LS650" with stainless steel spokes. Bus "Avon" 230h15 inches. Handmade aluminum centering bearing parts for the rear wheel and the frame with stainless steel fasteners and shaft. Homemade system drive belt tension on the frame.
* Body parts: highly modified after sales tank "mustang" countersunk filler neck. Saddle of "Cleveland Trim".
* E. Equipment: wiring harnesses and wiring done by Jan. Spotlight on the "Bates". Taillight LED on handcrafted aluminum plate license plate. Lamps / ignition key is also somewhere.
* Painting: "Wizard Paint Works". Powder coating performed "Hutchcoat", Terrington, Moulton, North Yorkshire.
* Polishing: carried out by someone who managed to persuade Mark.
* Design: motorcycle designed and handcrafted by Mark Graham, using hand tools. All individual parts are designed and made ​​by him. No contour machines with CNC control.

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #85 - 05/26/16 at 16:59:39

230 x 15 rear   Cheesy

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #86 - 05/26/16 at 17:26:32

yeah, I noticed that, it looks like it throwing the belt outta alignment.

The offset on our bikes are even MORE proud with that fat a$$

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #87 - 05/27/16 at 00:49:27

Tonights offering Velocette Venom 1957 mightn't work

Venom.png

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #88 - 05/27/16 at 01:34:24

DesertRat wrote on 05/22/16 at 19:49:28:

looks like a 2 stroke not a thumper

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #89 - 05/27/16 at 01:35:58

badwolf wrote on 05/25/16 at 19:06:38:
Can they really be called thumpers if they are 2 strokes?

no

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 09:04:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tasty Thumpers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.