Send Topic Print
Car Battery (Read 85 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Car Battery
08/04/16 at 15:39:17

The battery in my car was weak about 3 years ago , i started using a float charger and its been fine up till now .Its 7 years old.  today it shorted out. Triple A put in a new battery ,now the car is good. the triple a guy told me not to use the float charger on the new battery. Is that the best Idea? What if I don't plan on starting the car for a week, should I use it then? thanks!

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Car Battery
Reply #1 - 08/04/16 at 16:09:54

I don't understand the obsession with battery float chargers.
A lead-acid battery in good shape should be able to sit for a couple of months without attention.

On cars, a fly in the ointment is that even when just setting, modern cars do present an electrical load to a battery. It's a bunch of small things. Theft alarms, radio presets and stuff. A battery should still be good for a couple of months of sitting.

If you were using a charger to keep a weak battery alive, you were living on borrowed time. Luckily, your car started quickly and didn't load the battery very much, because it wouldn't have had much reserve at all. If you had been in a situation where you would have needed to crank the engine a few times to get started or had left a light on, you would have been sunk. Batteries are cheap insurance. Don't nurse a worn out battery just to save a few bucks. You never know when you might require the extra capacity.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 08/04/16 at 16:20:17

thanks ,i got a AAA battery ,they came out and installed it. i read triple A batteries are made by johnson Controls. Some people say they are crappy batteries ,while other people say the are as good as any .Whats  your thoughts on this? Thanks

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #3 - 08/04/16 at 17:03:12

I don't have a lot of info about the different battery manufacturers. I don't care to. Life is too short for me to worry about small details like that.

It does seem like batteries don't last as long as they used to. It's hard to find a battery with more than a 3 year warranty. The battery people blame it on the additional load that car batteries have had to endure in the past 20 years.

Even a good battery can quickly go bad. My last motorcycle battery was DOA from the store. It showed a charge, but wouldn't maintain voltage under load. It wouldn't even start the bike.

Sometimes they just develop an internal problem that kills them. Just last month, my wife's car battery died. It was a 2 year old battery (3 year warranty). She stopped to get gas and the car wouldn't restart. Heck, it wouldn't even keep the dashboard lit. I jumped it to get it home where it still wouldn't start. No load voltage was 12.6, but as soon as you turned the key on, voltage dropped to 5 volts. I stopped to get a new battery and was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was same same parts chain where I bought the original battery. I got a replacement for 0 dollars.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #4 - 08/04/16 at 17:29:50

thats pretty cool that they gave you a new one for a few bucks. This battery supposedly has a free replacement for 3 years ,and pro rate for 3 more. If they honor the warrantee and It holds up for a while  i'll be satisfied.  I guess it's hard to know anything.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/04/16 at 19:19:21

Getting answers to questions now that the Innerneck exists is Just SOOO Cool!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2760190

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 08/04/16 at 19:41:30

Huh, battery purchased/installed in 1993, will still take and keep a good charge. Big 6v from Les Schwab (best chain tire store in the world, wish we had them here).

Bike battery usually goes 2-3 years. 12v car/truck batteries 4-7 years. 12v tractor batteries a year or two. Tops. NAPA junk, but the warranty is always honored.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 08/04/16 at 20:16:07

It seems like stock batteries always outlast the replacements. I replaced a stock Ford battery in my Mustang after 9 years. I'd like to see a replacement go that long.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 08/04/16 at 21:20:26

I hope You don't have any bald tires you've been ridin' around on for three yrs waiting for them to pop ! 3yrs on a battery you knew was tired in snow country? That ain't right!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #9 - 08/05/16 at 04:08:03

Thanks for  your replys. Thanks JOG for an interesting link.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/05/16 at 06:18:03

When people ask a question about something, I just go looking.. sometimes, I even find them some clues.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #11 - 08/05/16 at 11:26:53

So what do you think? Is it a good Idea to use a float chrger on a new car battery if you don't drive it that much?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 08/05/16 at 11:43:57

From what I read it is acceptable to put a car battery on a FLOAT charger that has the technology to know when the battery is low and top it off, then stopping the charge when it knows the battery is full.  TRICKLE chargers are quoted as having nothing regulating the charge and they supply power to the battery as long as it is connected...which is a bad idea and will damage the battery from repeated overcharging if you aren't closely managing it.

You need to make sure you know what kind of charging equipment you have and whether or not it is regulating the charge for you.  If your is truly a FLOAT charger, then it seems like it would work without too much issue.

But...I do agree with the other folks that a week or two between driving isn't enough for me to worry about having it on constant charge.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #13 - 08/05/16 at 12:28:50

i have one of those harbor freight float chargers. it seems to work ok.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 11:14:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Car Battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.