Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Cam chain tensioner revisited (Read 2423 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cam chain tensioner revisited
Reply #135 - 05/27/16 at 08:19:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/25/16 at 15:44:46:
they took the time to make things last a bit longer.. Its all about the $$$...

If we knew the specs on the old spring and new spring, we would have a clue.

verslagen1 wrote on 09/22/07 at 18:51:41:
New vs. old adjuster report.

No dif between new and old plunger or housing.

Mold ID on old is "1" and "4" on the new.  This may be cavity number but on old ones I've only seen 1's and 2's.
All the new one's I think have been 4's

big dif in main spring.
old Ø .384, wire Ø .040, 2.80 length
new Ø .330, wire Ø .038, 2.66 length

about the same number of coils.

I should be able to slot the mounting hole of the housing and cross drill the slot for the relief spring.  I found a spring that should work and there's plenty of room for it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #136 - 05/27/16 at 08:45:26

I was thinking make the mount hole more sloted and, as you said, cross drill, set a small diameter, Mean little spring in the hole, slide it on the mount and have enought of a slot and enough spring to allow the tensioner to be pressed away from the chain enough to absorb the chains pressure. I think this , along with the Versy mod will change the cam chain issue. You Might sell it to Suzuki..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #137 - 05/27/16 at 08:51:34

d Ø .384, wire Ø .040, 2.80 length
new Ø .330, wire Ø .038, 2.66 length

In no Engine Ear, but the specs would make me think the new spring wouldn't be pushing as hard. And yet, chain life is generally less, so, all the variables and quality control are on the table, but QC, I'd say, leads the pack.
I wish we could get reports on the special order chains...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #138 - 05/27/16 at 09:25:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/27/16 at 08:51:34:
I'm no Engine Ear

Aha, you get it now.   Grin

The new spring is a little stiffer, not much.

Hard part is installation.  pushing back the spring enough to slide it on the pin maybe an issue for some.  I'm thinking a bullet shaped dowel that is pushed in 1st to hold back the spring, then shove it out to mount it.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #139 - 05/27/16 at 09:42:01

Versy,
Do you think you can get .060" of movement in your design?
It would be great if that were possible.

It should relieve the tension on the chain quite a bit. The only time it will come into play is when the pawl has just taken up a tooth.

I'm surprised that Suzuki didn't come up with something similar. They could have designed a different housing altogether.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #140 - 05/27/16 at 09:56:04

I think this new concept has some real potential! Smiley

The slotted mount on the backside should provide the needed movement......now a system to provide a spring in that location is needed.

Counterboring may be the easiest way, and a dowel in the hole that gets pushed out as the tensioner is pushed over the pin could work, and the user would need to keep that dowel if they ever needed to remove the tensioner and not have things fall apart.

I was trying to think of a way to install a small flat "piston" in the plunger cavity - the piston could have a pin that poked out the backside of the plunger cavity to apply the force to the pin in the new slot.  The problem with this scenario is I can't figure out how to make the spring apply more pressure out the backside....rather than to the plunger.

It might also be possible to adapt some king of angular spring on the back of the tensioner.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #141 - 05/27/16 at 10:08:03

norm92de wrote on 05/27/16 at 09:42:01:
Versy,
Do you think you can get .060" of movement in your design?
It would be great if that were possible.

No problem, there's about 3/8" of metal between the mounting hole and the spring cavity.
Enough for a pocket and a slot, that'll compress the spring about an eighth normally and up to 3/16".

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #142 - 05/27/16 at 14:27:04

While it's true that I'm not a degreed engineer, I did design a tool to capture the broken casing downhole when two engineers failed. I've built things and solved problems for decades. If you read the post above the one that you agreed with you'll see effectively the same point made.
I became The copier repairman for a small business after the other guy quit. I had seen a few repaired, been generally busy on calculators and cash register s. I couldn't even run some of the copiers. I would have someone show me what buttons to push, watch it fail, then repair it. I envisioned the necessary mods to solve this problem. So, let's try to not be looking down the nose at me.
Tapering off the end of the mount pin, using a thin, stiff piece of metal, like a shoe horn, press it on.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #143 - 05/27/16 at 14:32:38

You're upset...  Huh

Did I put the wrong smiley?

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #144 - 05/29/16 at 14:07:45

How much does the cylinder expand vertically when hot compared to cold?

Today I tried to find out.

Last night I measured the height of the cylinder when cold. I rode the bike about 100 miles so it was certainly warmed up. When I got home I measured again expecting that expansion would make the cylinder taller. No sh## Sherlock! I was surprised at the increase! My cylinder grew .5mm!!

I measured from the cylinder base gasket area to the bottom of the head cap. I would think that the change in the distance between the crank center and the camshaft center would be more than this.

I haven't attempted to do Versy's calculation concerning the effect on the cam chain but it seems that the cam chain would be bow tight if the tensioner had just taken up a new tooth on the ratchet when cold. :'(

My measuring method was not really the best ( a caliper) but I'm certain that my numbers represent something close to reality.

Versy thinks that 1.5mm is in the ballpark and I think he is being conservative. I know his doesn't solve anything but at least It seems to show how much unwanted  tension is on the chain at certain times.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #145 - 05/30/16 at 14:24:04

I checked the cam chain tensioner on my Triumph Bonneville.

It is very similar to the Suzuki in principle. However it has one vital difference. The nose of the ratchet plunger has a secondary more powerful spring fitted which gives it a built in cushion. If we can provide something similar on the Zuki it would probably solve the issue we are having. Smiley

By the way, I hope the Triumph system works since I have not touched it in 16K miles.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #146 - 05/30/16 at 14:29:01

soooo, vasimatteryou can't snap a pic?

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #147 - 05/30/16 at 14:33:11

Versy,
If I could figure it out I would. :'(

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #148 - 05/30/16 at 14:44:45

snap a pic
upload it on yer computer
then upload it when you post.
if you can, rescale to 800x600 or 640x480.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #149 - 05/30/16 at 14:55:55

You are determined to make me work aren't you Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 15:13:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain tensioner revisited

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.