Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Cam chain tensioner revisited (Read 2423 times)
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Cam chain tensioner revisited
Reply #105 - 05/24/16 at 14:27:29

Were not talking about movement here. One eighth of an inch will be plenty. Just enough to relieve the pressure.

A rubber pin to hold the adjuster? Just kidding. But you get the idea.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #106 - 05/24/16 at 15:26:47

we are talking more movement then a simple mod though.
we need .06"
we got a 9mm pin or .35"
we need at least .18" in rubber.
If I cut the pin down to nothing and drill out the hole till it wasn't a hole no longer, it'd work great.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #107 - 05/24/16 at 16:02:08

I see this getting more and more complex, has anyone just tried putting in a weaker spring? Maybe 60% strength of stock. Leave everything else like we run now. Go to a extension when necessary. I like the K.I.S.S. method of wrenching.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #108 - 05/24/16 at 16:07:29

badwolf wrote on 05/24/16 at 16:02:08:
I see this getting more and more complex, has anyone just tried putting in a weaker spring? Maybe 60% strength of stock. Leave everything else like we run now. Go to a extension when necessary. I like the K.I.S.S. method of wrenching.

MMRanch has done that and has been testing it for a year or two.  I just put a weaker spring in the Rescue bike with 4,000 miles on the bike.  I told the lady I sold it to come back and 10,000 miles so I can check the cam chain.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #109 - 05/24/16 at 16:47:19

My guess is that the ratchet teeth are about 1mm so we get 1mm free so to speak.

The real question is how much does the expansion  take up of the slack in the chain. If it is indeed 1.5mm then we need to find more than that.

I think as long as the chain cannot move back too much we are ok. Thus placing a solid rod inside the spring will achieve this.
The pawl is the problem. When it has just taken up a new tooth the expansion of the cylinder is more than the mechanism can accommodate and the chain is placed under extreme tension. I don't think there is a problem with not having a pawl, as long as the rearward travel is limited somewhat.

The stock spring provides the tension most of the time it is just when a new tooth has been acquired that we have a problem due to the pawl.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Garry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #110 - 05/24/16 at 17:35:52

I wonder if removing every second tooth from the ratchet would slow down the rate of advancement of the tensioner?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #111 - 05/24/16 at 18:03:51

I askkid my maw why she throwd out my paw,she sayed he was a be'in a pain in her chain.She throwd him out and aint looked back agin'.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #112 - 05/24/16 at 18:17:37

I have been thinking about removing every second tooth on the ratchet.
Apparently it will also be necessary to modify the pawl also to make this work.

It seems that if we have more than .060" backlash the chain will not be over tensioned when starting up from cold?

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #113 - 05/24/16 at 18:20:56

I hear you batman. I  just haven't got the guts to remove the pawl without some kind of backlash protection. Undecided

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #114 - 05/24/16 at 18:25:51

Dave, Has anyone measured the stock spring? Open length and dia. is easy. To measure the strength, put a piece of steel in the vise sticking out one side about 2 inches. Drill a 1/4' hole vertical, and place the spring on top. Measure the spring's length, then put a 3/16'' bolt down thru the spring and hole. Add weight to the bottom of the bolt till the spring compresses 1/2". Weigh the bolt and weight, multiply by 2 and that is the compression strength of the spring per inch. If we find one matching length and dia. about 60% of the strength I think it would be worth a try.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #115 - 05/24/16 at 18:40:20

Removing teeth from the plunger won't work.  The pawl has 2 teeth, so if you remove every other tooth from the plunger....the only thing you will accomplish is having only one toot of the pawl engaged with he remainng teeth on the plunger.......the plunger will still ratchet at the same rate.

When I wanted a weaker spring....I just went to the hardware store and matched one up in diameter that was considerably weaker and a similar length.  I measure the plunger extension with the stock spring, and with the new lighter spring the plunger was pushed out within a half mm of the length the stronger spring pushed.....close enough for a trial run as far as I was concerned.  The spring does nothing when the engine is running as the pawl is doing the work.....the spring only moves the plunger when the engine is at rest and cool, and likely the pawl takes a new set as the starter first turns the engine over when doing a "cold start".

The space between the teeth on the plunger was a bit hard for me to measure with my calipers. It appears that there was 0.910" of teeth on the plunger, and it has 23 teeth as best as I could count.  That results in about 0.03956" per tooth - or about 1mm each.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #116 - 05/24/16 at 19:47:50

If there's room, I'd make the mount hole a slot, drill through the back of the loop, in line with the tensioner arm, seat a  short, stout, small diameter spring that is stronger than the tensioner spring.

I could build it and see it work.
Look up a few posts,, I described it , but without some detail.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #117 - 05/24/16 at 20:10:02

Here's a crazy idea for a manual cam chain adjuster: How about a ratchet device like the brake adjuster in an old drum brake system, adapted to fit where the chain tensioner lives now. The hydraulic oil sightglass could be fitted to the side cover, and removed to adjust the chain slack with a  flat blade screwdriver. Obviously a bit of user skill be need to get the right tension but it might work...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #118 - 05/24/16 at 21:55:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/24/16 at 19:47:50:
If there's room, I'd make the mount hole a slot, drill through the back of the loop, in line with the tensioner arm, seat a  short, stout, small diameter spring that is stronger than the tensioner spring.

I could build it and see it work.
Look up a few posts,, I described it , but without some detail.

That's doable with the right spring.
Although, it'll be difficult to install.

WWW   IP Logged
Garry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #119 - 05/24/16 at 22:21:37

So the new stronger spring would actually fulfil the roll of keeping the chain tight and preventing the plunger from ratcheting out until the chain had stretched to the point where the new springs tension was less than the plunger spring tension at which point the plunger spring would take over and allow the plunger to advance a tooth. Is that how it will work?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:57:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain tensioner revisited

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.