Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Issue Installing new HD Dyna Muffler (Read 308 times)
savagerider
Ex Member

Issue Installing new HD Dyna Muffler
05/09/16 at 16:58:30

Hey everyone,

I need some help. I just bought a Harley Davidson Dyna Muffler (685747-94) and I am trying to install it.

I am following this guide:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417

I am following it step by step. I am now trying to attach the new muffler onto the exhaust pipe but I am running into an issue - it is not going on all the way.

I cut 6 slots into the pipe and even pryed them apart a little to make it wider so it will fit. Still didn't help.
Here are some images:

Any suggestions?

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Issue Installing new HD Dyna Muffler
Reply #1 - 05/09/16 at 17:39:00

Something doesn't look right, not sure what is going on there.  Maybe you are trying to get it too far in, it doesn't have to fit all the way.  The Harley Dyna has a bigger diameter opening than the Savage pipe.  Anyway I made an adapter for mine which makes the angle of the Dyna line up a little better.

Dave has a thread on this method in the tech section with drawings and pictures.  His is a very nice piece of work.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1353284557

I made mine a little shorter and managed to use both mounting points.  Mine was made from an exhaust pipe adapter I bought at a NAPA store.  I took a slice out of it and re-welded it to get the angle and expanded one end a little and cut it to length.  Mine looks a little crude but I covered it with a cheap Ebay heat shield.  Others have found a simpler way which is to go to a muffler shop and have them make the adapter.  They have equipment to make the bend and to expand the pipe. You could copy Dave's drawing and show that to them.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #2 - 05/09/16 at 19:24:46

you're MISSING the adapter that slips between the stock exhaust pipe and the Dyna muffler ...

I did the Dyna MOD by Dave, with my own DIY twist:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1443386041/2#2

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #3 - 05/09/16 at 19:29:18

Nothing wrong there. The Dyna inlet necks down where the inlet to muffler casing is. It becomes smaller than the Savage header pipe.  Just slide it on as far as it will go, then clamp the muffler down. The muffler does not have to reach the "ring" in the header pipe to seal or to clamp onto the header.

If you really want the Dyna to slide up to the ring, you'll need to chop a little bit off the end of the header pipe.

However in the long run, it doesn't make any difference.

Some people use an angled adapter pipe, some don't. I didn't, and was able to still mount the muffler to the muffler bracket, but with just one bold at that point. It helps to loosen the header pipe at the head end so you have some wiggle room to get everything to fit. Tighten the head flange bolts last.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/09/16 at 20:45:33

I don't see how that is gonna work out. The slots are past where you can get the end of the header, IMO.
Don't go banging on it. The little bolts holding the header won't take it.
If you're gonna get horsey with it, mark the muffler and header, take them off, rassle them off the bike.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, use a grinder on the header and allow sparks near the battery vent tube. Trust me on this..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagerider
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/10/16 at 15:35:15

Alright well. I read what you guys had to say and I put on the muffler. I made sure to get a good clamp, and make sure the tin can was there to help crush it in a bit.

I have a small exhaust leak (i felt the air coming out where the muffler and the exhaust pipe met) and some black smoke coming out ( i only ran it for like 30 seconds and gave it a little bit of throttle)

Anything I should be concerned about?

IP Logged
striknein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/10/16 at 17:12:48

I had a similar issue with leaks. I solved it by wrapping the connection a couple times with muffler tape and clamping over it. Easy peasy.

IP Logged
savagerider
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/10/16 at 18:04:49

I am definitely going to buy another clamp. I am just using the stock one. It doesn't clamp down far enough.

Think I should have any concerns with the black smoke?

I read that it shouldn't be an issue if the engine is running cool (which it was) and that if it keeps up after its warm then its an issue.

Just looking for a second opinion.

IP Logged
striknein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/10/16 at 18:51:05

Black smoke indicates that the bike is running rich. That's perfectly normal for a bike that hasn't warmed up, and it's a problem if the bike is warm. What does the exhaust look like when it's been running for 20 minutes?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 05/10/16 at 19:11:24

I spread a layer of high-temp caulk around the header, wrapped it in several layers of aluminum foil, more high-temp silicone and then a layer a thin sheet metal cut to fit. I used enough layers of aluminum foil so that attaching the muffler was a tight fit. I already had a clamp on hand that I wanted to use. No use in buying something if you already have it. It's stainless steel and used to connect PVC pipes with a rubber coupler. I just robbed the clamp for my exhaust system. It's a bit redneck but it works great! I never could get the tin can method to seal. I always had a leak.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/10/16 at 19:42:53

I don't see how you can possibly get the header seated as deeply as some of the cuts.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 05/10/16 at 21:14:29

I cut mine slightly too deep as well. That's where the aluminum foil and silicone came in handy. I tested for leaks by holding a candle around the joint and watching to make sure the flame didn't move.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #12 - 05/10/16 at 21:33:46

In my humble opinion:

I really think that the adapter that Dave designed or the adapter that Super Thumper sells is the only reliable way to have a neat leak free installation that will last.

I think genuine Harley Davidson clamps are the key to making the adapter work.

Kenny G

Muffler_Adapter.jpg
  IP Logged
savagerider
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/11/16 at 03:29:24

KemnyG,

Is it possible to order one of these cheap online? I don't have the tools to strip or cut anything off. Ideally I would like to get the adapter piece that I can just slip on and clamp and then be finished or whatever.

I agree with you that this method looks the cleanest and simplest.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/11/16 at 03:58:46

Although you may be able to find something cheaper if you run around to muffler shops and see what they will bend for you - the RYCA adapter makes the job easier, and it is chrome and looks nice.

http://shop.rycamotors.com/exhaust_adapter.html

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 06:29:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Issue Installing new HD Dyna Muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.