Bang For The Buck (Read 2024 times)
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Re: Bang For The Buck
Reply #30 - 03/06/16 at 08:13:58

Without the head machining (?$?) I'm at $3,300.00... Bike, tires, seat, FCs and engine upgrade parts, gaskets etc......  Huh

(AND BEST OF ALL.!!!! The wife is starting to look favorably on my ridding to Penn. in June.  Smiley Smiley)   Beware the Indian Thumper !! Shocked Shocked

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #31 - 03/07/16 at 15:52:20

You need to hit the Delaware Water Gap if near Scranton Pa. Nice twisties and a lot of fun. Check the Freemansburg Hill Climb, don't know when it happens but if you are in the area during the event it's a must see!!
 Used to ride that area before moving to Florida which is the land of flat straight roads. Angry

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #32 - 03/13/16 at 09:59:58

verslagen1 wrote on 03/02/16 at 08:50:20:
old.indian wrote on 03/02/16 at 08:21:41:
 1.75" exhaust header

Tell me about this one   Cool

CoolI managed to get Super Thumper to sell me one of his early production / prototypes.  Cool             He was talking about possibly listing them on "The Marketplace" at some point.        I look upon it as a win/ win modification.  Gain in performance by reducing exuast flow restriction (stock header = 1.3" I.D vs 1.7"+/- I.D ).  And an improvement in the reliability of my air cooled motor by getting rid of the hot stuff (exuast gas) faster......  Cool Cool

Smiley Yep !!!! I'm definitely going to hook up a sound system and announce my pending arrival by blasting "Ride of the Valkyries "..... Smiley Smiley

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #33 - 03/13/16 at 17:34:12

Has anyone experienced any adverse effects to the starting system by puttin a 10.5/1 piston in one of these Savages or does the compression release seem to take care of the increase in compression OK?

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 03/13/16 at 18:06:29

Gus wrote on 03/13/16 at 17:34:12:
Has anyone experienced any adverse effects to the starting system by puttin a 10.5/1 piston in one of these Savages or does the compression release seem to take care of the increase in compression OK?

The compression release and starter work fine with the Wiseco...at least for my riding conditions.  My bike is stored in a heated garage, and I never ride the Cafe' bike when it is below 60 degrees.  I have the 95mm and it starts instantly.....I am not sure what would happen at 30 degrees when the oil is thick and the battery performance is lower.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 03/15/16 at 09:35:56

My Honda ST1100 is a great bike and most likely has a couple hundred thousand miles left in it - but it is a bit tall and heavy for my 30" inseam.  

I might have to go look at (and ride) this - it is local, and has always been stored indoors:

2000 BMW K1200 RS, with only 23,000 miles for $ 4,000.  It has removable saddlebags that are not shown in the photo.

(Of course.....I would have to get matching clothes and helmets, and a few turtle neck shirts with the BMW logo).

BMW.jpg

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #36 - 03/15/16 at 10:58:06

That is an extremely nice sled and a good buy. It's hard to find one with less than 50000 miles on it.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #37 - 03/15/16 at 22:30:10

Dave ???    Roll Eyes   ???  

Can we still ride with ya ,  if you buy that THING ???

Shocked Shocked

« Last Edit: 03/16/16 at 08:36:05 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 03/16/16 at 04:07:18

Thats a slick ride. Do the due dilligence. Check for a forum. Maintenance issues, and how hard is it just to get past the Tupperware,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #39 - 03/16/16 at 04:37:40

Yep.....the BMW is most likely a bit more complex than the Honda.  I have a friend that is very knowledgeable about these bikes, and will get him involved if the bike fits me physically.  I am certain that maintenance on the BMW will be more complex and more expensive than it is on the Honda. It is a bit intimidating to have to learn the care and feeding of a whole new bike breed.

What the world really needs is a good 3/4 size touring bike for those of us that are just too small for the Goldwing or ST1100.  The ST1300 has a better seat height - but it still is a big and heavy motorcycle.  The Honda CTX700 would be a better fit for me - but I can't spend $ 7,500 for a new motorcycle.  Maybe I should ride the ST1100 for a few more years....then look for a used CTX700 as I get a bit older.

And yes MM....I will still ride you you guys.  And next years project will be a Savage made for touring - but it will be a single seater and may become my bike of choice when I go on these SavageForum trips.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #40 - 03/16/16 at 08:33:06

Dave

Can't ya lower the height of the ST1100 ??    

Well I like the wide seat, floor boards , taller gear , and wind shield on my S-40 !  Wink  

This year the handle bars that came on my Sportster are now on my S-40 in place of the Drag bar.   They are wider, taller and set back  a little .  The S-40 rides like a bigger bike now but it lost a pound.  the  original drag bars was leaded on the ends.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 03/16/16 at 08:47:19

The forks could be dropped easily on the ST1100 - the back is not so easy as it is a single shock bolted to the frame and swingarm, without any links.  There was a company that made a shorter shock - but it is not longer available.

I am thinking maybe a used Honda NT700 might be a good bike for downsizing to.

NT700.jpg

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #42 - 03/16/16 at 12:34:46

JOG

yea!  Wink

I'm sure that 700cc Honda has all the power needed to cruse above the Speed-Limit anywhere , Up or Down , in the US.

Some of the fellers in my CMA group ride monster bikes and I have to wait for them to catch-up a lot !  

So :   Bigger is NOT Better  ,  but we all have know that for a long time now .  Wink

old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #43 - 03/16/16 at 13:00:02

MMRanch wrote on 03/16/16 at 12:34:46:
JOG

yea!  Wink

I'm sure that 700cc Honda has all the power needed to cruse above the Speed-Limit anywhere , Up or Down , in the US.

Some of the fellers in my CMA group ride monster bikes and I have to wait for them to catch-up a lot !  

So :   Bigger is NOT Better  ,  but we all have know that for a long time now .  Wink

Smiley Which is exactly what I've been saying on this tread all along.  Smiley   There is no reason why an S40 cannot be set up for solo touring with out requiring a second mortgage.   Travel light and ENJOY the ride....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 03/16/16 at 13:27:26

For one person I agree, the Savage can be made into a bike that will do the touring job just fine.

I am looking for an affordable way my wife and I can ride around together.  She will never go on any overnight trips with me, and we just need enough room for the two of us to ride comfortable, and have enough space for rain gear and an extra coat for the chilly ride when the sun goes down.  (Friday nights are "date night" for us, and we ride the motorcycle when we can).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 19:38:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bang For The Buck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.