Bang For The Buck (Read 2024 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Bang For The Buck
Reply #15 - 02/18/16 at 07:08:30

Sounds like a great ride, and it involves Pennsylvania, who knew? (I am negatively biased due to incredibly moronic and asinine family in Pottstown, I avoid the whole state Grin )
and steam train museums and rides, sweet! I'm a sucker for old tech

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 02/18/16 at 07:22:32

I want to go to the Coolspring Museum in PA some day......lots of really cool and really big Thumpers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vAJy8f31Rs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pXiNo3zxnw

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 02/18/16 at 07:59:57

I didn't run the vids to preserve my Data, but man is that tempting me
I wonder if any of the cool old 'machine museums' are around in Texas anymore
there were a few in my school daze I had to be almost literally dragged out of

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #18 - 02/22/16 at 12:01:51

HuhEver notice that once you get started in to a project the "change orders" start coming in ????     Undecided

I started this a couple weeks ago with a "new to me" Corbin seat. Then for added comfort came 4" FCs .. Hum. I'd like a smidgen more mid range, so a stage 3 cam.  Well while I've got it apart a cam chain adjuster and head plug.  OH YEAH . To take advantage of the new cam I should get the ports cleaned up...  OH look, a Wiseco 10.5 CR 94mm piston.... Well while I have it on the bench I may as well see about an improved cam chain......Then, last night I decided that I really, really miss having a tachometer on the Thumper. SO..... Smiley       BUT... I'm STILL well under $4K. Cool
   CoolNO 'bot ! I ain't going to add no blue lights to the under carriage like your "home boys"... Cool

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 02/22/16 at 16:45:16

"NO 'bot ! I ain't going to add no blue lights to the under carriage like your "home boys"..."

Yea, there's no need for that stuff.  
After all, you are just being practical, and doing practical stuff.   Wink

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #20 - 02/22/16 at 16:50:31

old.indian wrote on 02/22/16 at 12:01:51:
HuhEver notice that once you get started in to a project the "change orders" start coming in ????     Undecided

I started this a couple weeks ago with a "new to me" Corbin seat. Then for added comfort came 4" FCs .. Hum. I'd like a smidgen more mid range, so a stage 3 cam.  Well while I've got it apart a cam chain adjuster and head plug.  OH YEAH . To take advantage of the new cam I should get the ports cleaned up...  OH look, a Wiseco 10.5 CR 94mm piston.... Well while I have it on the bench I may as well see about an improved cam chain......Then, last night I decided that I really, really miss having a tachometer on the Thumper. SO..... Smiley       BUT... I'm STILL well under $4K. Cool
   CoolNO 'bot ! I ain't going to add no blue lights to the under carriage like your "home boys"... Cool

Okay OI, how about a couple pictures?  Everyone likes pictures!

"home boys" from Tucson.......  Huh

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #21 - 02/23/16 at 08:03:46

Dave wrote on 02/13/16 at 02:49:06:
Yep, the Savage can be a good bargain in motorcycles if you buy one used and spend money on upgrades wisely.  Glad you found a good one and are racking up the miles. Smiley

Buying a worn out one really cheaply might not be the best bargain if it needs major engine work.....so be careful to find one that needs little or no engine work.  My recent Rescue Bike project only had 3,800 miles on it and it needed a cam and rockers, and a Versy head plug to fix the oil leak.....luckily I had some good used ones.  If the engine has damage to the cylinder head- it can be very expensive to get a replacement head/cam/rockers.

And getting used saddlebags, windshields, seats, etc. from the Marketplace on this forum can help.  When folks buy bikes to make Bobbers or Cafe's bikes they sell the stuff they don't need at really good prices.....sometimes just enough to cover shipping,

I don't mean to hi jack this thread but I can't help myself. Dave, what in the dickens did someone do to a bike with under 4000  miles on or to ruin rhe head? Let it set and idle for a week?????

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 02/23/16 at 08:05:53

Did it also have the plug wires that light up with each spark?

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #23 - 03/02/16 at 08:21:41

Roll Eyes   Like all projects, this one keeps growing...  Roll Eyes
The list now includes (besides the Corbin seat, 4"FCs, K&N filter, tires and Carb work already done),  Stage 3 cam, Head machining (ports etc.), 10.5 CR piston, cam chain adjuster, tach, 1.75" exuast header and Harley muffler.   All I can say is   "Beware the Indian Thumper..."     Cool

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 03/02/16 at 08:31:21

Yea, stuff just keeps on happening.    Cool

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 03/02/16 at 08:50:20

old.indian wrote on 03/02/16 at 08:21:41:
 1.75" exhaust header

Tell me about this one   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #26 - 03/02/16 at 11:06:40

verslagen1 wrote on 03/02/16 at 08:50:20:
 1.75" exhaust header

Tell me about this one   Cool

I'll refer this to "Super Thumper"...  Cool

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #27 - 03/02/16 at 15:57:13

Stage 3 cam

OI, this question isn't directed at your work.  But why would someone change the cam?  It coordinates and times the valves, how much better can it get?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 03/02/16 at 16:08:20

pg wrote on 03/02/16 at 15:57:13:
Stage 3 cam

OI, this question isn't directed at your work.  But why would someone change the cam?  It coordinates and times the valves, how much better can it get?

Best regards,

It can get a lot better....the stock cam is really mild.  The cams that Lancer sells can get you some extra duration and lift.....and extra torque and HP!

I have been running a Stage 1 for a couple years, as soon as the Nitrided cam chains are available.....I am going to try the Stage 3.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #29 - 03/02/16 at 17:18:26

pg wrote on 03/02/16 at 15:57:13:
Stage 3 cam

Best regards,

pg:   The cam will allow the valves to open further and longer allowing more air/fuel mixture into the combustion chamber and the spent/ exuast gases out. The machining of the head ports as well as the larger inner diameter of the new exuast header and muffler allows for a less restrictive air flow into and out of the combustion chamber.  The new piston (10.5 compression ratio vs. 8.5 CR stock), makes the combustion chamber more efficient and the power stroke more effective.  The end result is a more efficient and effective motor (greater horse power and torque). The cam chain adjuster and nitrated cam chain are "preventive maintenance" that I might as well do while I have it apart.  
Cam terms/ definitions:
Lift=  Amount  (how far) a valve opens from completely closed to completely open. (Rocker arms also pay a part in this function)
Duration = Time (in degrees of rotation) that a valve remains open.
The combination of "Lift" and "Duration" directly affects the amount of fuel/ air mixture drawn into the cylinder on "Intake" and conversely, how efficiently the burnt gasses can be purged from the cylinder by the exuast stroke.  

« Last Edit: 03/02/16 at 21:01:20 by old.indian »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 10:41:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bang For The Buck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.