Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Bang For The Buck (Read 2028 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Re: Bang For The Buck
Reply #45 - 03/16/16 at 13:35:44

Right now I'm in the process of figuring out a set of bags for the Savage. I'm looking at military artillery shell cans. My Savage is silver so I thought Id paint them with that silver toolbox paint. Still thinking it through. I could just use this but id rather ride the Savage.

WP_20160312_10_01_29_Pro.jpg

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 03/16/16 at 19:35:29

old.indian wrote on 03/16/16 at 13:00:02:
MMRanch wrote on 03/16/16 at 12:34:46:
JOG

yea!  Wink

I'm sure that 700cc Honda has all the power needed to cruse above the Speed-Limit anywhere , Up or Down , in the US.

Some of the fellers in my CMA group ride monster bikes and I have to wait for them to catch-up a lot !  

So :   Bigger is NOT Better  ,  but we all have know that for a long time now .  Wink

Smiley Which is exactly what I've been saying on this tread all along.  Smiley   There is no reason why an S40 cannot be set up for solo touring with out requiring a second mortgage.   Travel light and ENJOY the ride....

Tis true,,, and I think Paladin may have had The most comfy seat.  A windscreen, some power, maybe some gearing..
Some suspension stuff,, go all day,
I got over 12,000 miles on it in a year, running around town and   over about forty miles once or twice a week, to see a doctor.
No windscreen, and that got old.
How much energy is spent just Not getting blown Off at seventy? How much of the fatigue could be changed by having a comfortable seat? Is there any gain from swapping shocks? I think it's been Proven that taller shocks make it handle quicker, but is there a Fatigue factor?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #47 - 03/16/16 at 20:21:04

I have taller shocks , just cause I have 32" inseams .   also  I now have more ground clearance for my Floor Boards  .

I put 12 inch shocks off Ebay,  think they came off a pre 04 Sportster ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #48 - 03/16/16 at 20:28:48

MMRanch wrote on 03/16/16 at 20:21:04:
I have taller shocks , just cause I have 32" inseams .   also  I now have more ground clearance for my Floor Boards  .

I put 12 inch shocks off Ebay,  think they came off a pre 04 Sportster ?

So hey fit OK huh? I've been wondering about that. Also did it give you any more clearance between the inner fender and the tire? I'd like to put a taller wheel on the back.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #49 - 03/16/16 at 20:35:24

Do you think a taller wheel will clear the swingarm?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 03/17/16 at 04:00:59

A taller tire will clear the swing arm - you can't go much bigger than the 140/90-15 without having to work on the fender or swing arm for clearance.  I have 18" diameter wheels on my Cafe' conversion - but then you slim the tire width down to a 120/80 or 130/70 and it can still clear the swing arm.  As the rim diameter gets bigger - the available tires get narrower - unless you to to vintage sizes like 4.00-18 - but then the vintage tires are not very up to date on rubber compounds or tread design.

If you ever decide to use a Kawasaki front pulley which has 2 more teeth and provide better gearing for touring - then the wheel gets moved all the way forward so the belt has proper tension.....and a 140/90 just barely clears the swing arm.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #51 - 03/17/16 at 06:42:18

The thing about taller shocks is the "Swing arm angle" changes.  Turns out the drive belt is tightest when the swing arm is level.   So , when the swing arm falls below "level position" the belt gets looser.   Then when you sit on the saddle the swing arm get level again - drawing the belt tight.  Then ya hit a bump and the swing arm get above level and the belt goes loose again.  
This happens all the time anyway , but longer shocks gives ya a different starting point in the cycle.   I weigh 190# , so 12" shocks work good for me.  Wink
I believe 12.5" is about as tall as you can get on the "Swing arm / Frame Combo."

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #52 - 03/17/16 at 06:49:21

MMRanch, I think we got it now LOL!!
Lotsa good info here thanks for weighing in guys.
Do you accommodate, at all, for the difference in angle with the tension of the belt, MM?

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #53 - 03/17/16 at 07:14:15

Hey MM......you gotta stop mashing that "POST" icon!

My Cafe' bike has 13" shocks, and I believe that is about as far as you can go.  I do have to make my belt a bit loose when I am not on the bike, as it does tighten up when I get on the bike, and it tightens up even more when the suspension is compressed by a bump.  Going up to 13" with the standard rear fender looks a bit weird, as the fender is really high above the tire.  In order to lose the Cruiser look and get the bike to look more like a Cafe' or Tracker, and to quicken up the steering, the common practice is to use 13" rear shocks and drop the forks a couple of inches....this would look a bit weird with the stock bodywork and seat on the Savage.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #54 - 03/17/16 at 07:30:28

Dave wrote on 03/17/16 at 07:14:15:
Hey MM......you gotta stop mashing that "POST" icon!

Yep, I think that was a record... 5. 2 & 3's are common, but 5 wow.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #55 - 03/17/16 at 18:30:25

Yep, I think that was a record... 5. 2 & 3's are common, but 5 wow.  

?

Huh

so the internet blinks out and I don't think it worked ,  but still post even though it doesn't show on my screen ?

Thanks for the Heads-Up.  Smiley

Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #56 - 03/17/16 at 20:44:22

JOG asked
How much energy is spent just Not getting blown Off at seventy? How much of the fatigue could be changed by having a comfortable seat?
answer: a lot
and a lot
simply putting a screen on my S40 made me a willing 70MPH rider, where before i was a willing 60 mph rider, and a reluctant 70 mph one
Never did get the seat fixed comfy, but I know from other bikes I've ridden that had better seats that a good seat makes a world of difference

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #57 - 03/17/16 at 21:28:40

I've found that a 'screen and a comfortable seat makes all the difference on a long ride.  At the third or fourth day of an aching back from leaning into the wind and your tail feeling like the seat is a 2X4 on edge.  It just ain't all that much fun anymore.....  Huh

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #58 - 03/18/16 at 05:08:37

I rode the BMW K1200RS last night......it was really nice.  The seating position was low, the weight was not excessive, and it was smooth and powerful.  The seating position brought my feet up a bit higher than I would have liked, the tank was wide, I could flat foot easily when standing still.  The fellow that owned the bike took my wife for a ride on the back....and she loved it.  The wind did not beat her up like it does on our ST1100.

Even with all that - I just don't think it is the right bike for me.  It is a very intimidating work of art beneath that bodywork, I have no idea how to work on that thing.  The 1,200 cc engine is very smooth and controllable - but 100 mph comes sooo fast it is scary!  I think I need a smaller/lighter/less powerful motorcycle that will be our "riding double" bike for the coming years.

I am going to go ride a Honda VT700 and see if they have enough power and room for us.  

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #59 - 03/18/16 at 08:51:16

German engineering is intimidating in the beginning. I remember when I bought my first Mercedes diesel ten years ago. There was a lot to learn and it wasn't all just mechanics. Much of it is hard to explain but Germans design things from a different thought process than Americans. That first Mercedes I bought is simple in comparison to the latter one I bought. But today. I have a completely different understanding of the vehicle itself and the purpose for which it was built.
Long story short, the old 1976 Mercedes is still carrying my youngest son to school every day. The thing is a tank and with in excess of 300,000 miles on it; the doors still shut like the door of an old freezer that's never been out of the basement. The 1995 Mercedes is fast approaching the 300,000 mile mark and shows no signs of slowing down; not even an oil leak. That is the difference and today I understand and am comfortable with the layout and design of that German engineering. It's rock solid and made to work on.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:26:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bang For The Buck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.