Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Send Topic Print
July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30 (Read 2386 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: July event in Waynesville NC area - July 22-30
Reply #45 - 03/14/16 at 11:51:45

Dave is 6 hours from Roanoke heading slightly south of  east on major roads

Kelly is 5 hours from Roanoke going straight north on major roads

==============================

MM, I think Dave has given up on the fiddle fest as it conflicts strongly with some of  his most busy times at work.  

I am flexible and can get picked up at Roanoke no matter what else you guys choose to do.  

You and Dave dice out where you will call your meet up point.

..... and as the remaining unregenerate of the group, we will just have us some fun doing whatever it is we wind up doing .....  us unregenerate types can always have fun anywhere that Hurleys go as getting fresh brown icky sticky spots to magically appear on Hurley seats is what us unregenerates do best .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #46 - 03/14/16 at 12:21:47

MM.  I think the best approach for us to get a bunch of riding in - is to meet at Cherokee and start riding the Blueridge.  It is about 6 hours for me to get to Cherokee, and about 4.5 hours for you to get there.  We most likely could meet in the early afternoon - then have another 3-4 hours of riding to find a spot to camp for the night.  For the first night I don't know that we need a formal campground - we likely can just find a good spot in the woods somewhere, or maybe stumble across a decent priced campground....we will be passing right by the Blueridge Motorcycle Campground, and that is always affordable and would be a good place to stay the first night - so anybody else that wanted to come on the ride could meet us there.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #47 - 03/14/16 at 13:06:01

Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground to Roanoke Va is 6-8 hours on the parkway.  That's most of a day.

(ain't nothing straight on the NC Blue Ridge Parkway, all turns all the way all the time)

Once in Virginia the roads do straighten out some ......   you will likely need another day going up to the bitter end then two days coming back if you take normal roads on the return loop.

...... lots of riding ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #48 - 03/14/16 at 20:08:08

Dave , how about we spend the first night at Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground .   That is about a days ride from my house.

I'll start looking for campgrounds in the Roanoke area , I'm ok with camp just off the road (long as we don't get busted) .   I have an alarm to wake me up if someone approaches camp , to cut down on surprises .
Smiley

Best I can tell its about 300 miles from Cruso,NC to Roanoke,VA.    Three hundred miles on the Parkway is a Fun Days Ride.  Cool

..... and as the remaining unregenerate of the group, we will just have us some fun doing whatever it is we wind up doing .....  us unregenerate types can always have fun anywhere that Hurleys go as getting fresh brown icky sticky spots to magically appear on Hurley seats is what us unregenerates do best .....

I may ride the Savage !  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #49 - 03/14/16 at 20:27:18

Hey Old Feller. I just want to say I am glad to see you have had such a quick recovery. Nice to know you are back to your old self. Live long and prosper. And thump on my friend. Smiley

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #50 - 03/14/16 at 20:57:01

Going back to work on March 21.     Going to see how the daily grind does for a bit before the first NC to Virginia trip actually comes up.    

Think of it as a trial run.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #51 - 03/14/16 at 21:05:31

Good luck to you OF. I expect you'll be making that trip and enjoying the heck out of it. Heck, I wish a could join you guys but I believe it is going to have to be at another time.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #52 - 03/15/16 at 04:52:45

Here is the event list for Mount Airy (Mayberry).  There are Old Time Music Jams....and Moonshine Tasting events!

(You will have to scan forward to August....the cut and paste just gets the current calendar).

http://www.visitmayberry.com/calendar/

http://www.visitmayberry.com/category/attractions/mayberry/

I don't have a strong "need" to go to Mayberry.....but if we need a place to get off the bike for an hour or so - this might be worth a visit.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #53 - 03/15/16 at 07:28:47

Dave :    

I watch Andy on the "CW" station out of Huntsville almost every night at 10:30 . Wink    
If it works out to be convenient for us I'd like to check out the little town and see if its somewhere where Marcia might like to go visit sometime .  Roll Eyes  she enjoys the Andy show too .   Cool

They have live entertainment on the 23rd and then again on the 30th. !
Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #54 - 03/15/16 at 07:43:28

MM, pick a campground in Mayberry.    You will get to see the town and eat in it, etc.

There is no law that says we can't hit multiple itches with the same scratch, you know.

If we have a known campground I'll meet you guys there that afternoon and we can go eat dinner together.

Wink

Mebbe we can eat at Aunt Bee's place  ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #55 - 03/15/16 at 07:52:03

Camp Grounds in the Roanoke are :

There are plenty  !   This one $12.00 per night and check out the view !

http://www.visitroanokeva.com/listings/peaks-of-otter-campground/5700/

Smiley

There are several right off the ParkWay .

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #56 - 03/15/16 at 07:55:18

so is Mayberry right off the Parkway too ?   I'll start checking .  Huh

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #57 - 03/15/16 at 08:38:45

Here is a great map for planning and discussion.
http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/upload/blrimap-2.pdf

It appears that the Blueridge Motorcycle Campground is about 40-50 miles from the south end of the Blueridge.  From there it is about 240 miles to the Mount Airy (Mayberry) area.  The Roanoke area is about 80 miles farther north.

It also appears at the north end the Blueridge Parkway turns into something called Skyline Drive, and it looks like a similar kind of road on the map.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #58 - 03/15/16 at 20:13:28

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/14/16 at 09:33:43:

Art,

In my unregenerate days I used to pull off in little hidey holes and let the group go on by and then I'd blast back up through them again and again and again.   (they was going sooooo slow)

One time I snuck up behind Serenity into his blind spot and pulled off into a gas stop literally a foot off his bumper.   He took his helmet off and proceeded to ask if anybody knew where I had gotten off to -- and everybody started grinning at him and laughing.   He was puzzled until I answered his question.

Unregenerate, that's what I was -- MM used to pray for me sometimes out loud.

I have zero problems believing this  Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #59 - 03/15/16 at 21:50:44

HAY !

I think I found the Jack-Pot of MayBerry Campsites . Grin

http://www.mayberrycampground.com/rates.html

$20.oo + tax ! Wink

http://www.mayberrycampground.com/site-map---gallery.html

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 15:57:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.