Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20
Send Topic Print
July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30 (Read 2386 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: July event in Waynesville NC area - July 22-30
Reply #75 - 05/02/16 at 20:16:57

Busy , Busy , Busy --- trying to get the "Chores all done up" ...  Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #76 - 05/03/16 at 05:39:13

MMRanch wrote on 05/02/16 at 20:16:57:
Busy , Busy , Busy --- trying to get the "Chores all done up" ...  Tongue

Yep....me too.  Grass to cut, porch to seal, cut grass,  columns and doors to paint, trim grass around pond, garden to plant, weed wack steep bank along road - cut grass!

The trip is still on for me.....and I just got a lighter socket to mount on the NT700 so I can power my GPS and charge my cell phone.  I need to start figuring out what to pack, and where to pack it!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #77 - 05/03/16 at 15:06:08

Re: Any savages at the Dragon May 13 weekend?

Reply #4 - Today at 17:41:11  Quote  Dave wrote on Today at 17:16:31:
So.....ask me again next time you go.....or come with us to the Blueridge Parkway ride at the end of July.

Stewmills of Alabama replies:

I'll definitely post here any time I am headed that way.  If things with work and home continue to go well, I really hope to make the Blueridge trip.  Definitely need to make it a point to connect with you all this year.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #78 - 05/04/16 at 01:28:27

OK, we are less than 2 months out now -- time to get serious on MM's Blue Ridge Parkway wanderjar.

Dave, you are much closer in now and might see your scheduling conflicts with work much better.   Pick us a start date.

On the start date MM rides from his house to the southern mouth of the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Dave starts from his house and does whatever he does to meet up with MM at the mouth of the Blue Ridge (good luck with the timing that, guys, it will be more fun than it would look like going in).  

Their current plan is MM and Dave to wind up at Blue Ridge Campground to spend the first night -- I can help with that once we have a START DATE tied down good.   I will rent Cabin #4 for one night and we can converge there along with Stewmills or whomever else is coming on the evening of the first day.   I will show up at Blue Ridge Campground the afternoon of Day 1.

Next morning, we go off into the great unplanned unknown following MM.  This plan allows Dave to pick his start day and we have a good landing spot for the end of that day, which is also a good congregation spot for all the latecomers if there are any.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #79 - 05/04/16 at 04:16:51

My last evening meeting that month is on Wednesday the 20th, so I could potentially leave on Thursday the 21st.  It is about a 7 hour ride for me to get to Cherokee (with a stop or 2 along the way), and it appears the ride for MMRanch is a bit over 4 hours if he chooses the MapQuest fastest route....so he would have to leave just before 11 AM if he didn't plan any lengthy stops.  It appears that there is about an hour or so of riding on the Parkway from Cherokee to the Waynesville area.

If I left around 8 AM, I could meet MMRanch in the Cherokee area around 3 PM to ride the first leg of the Parkway and get to the campground....most likely by 5 PM.

I have no problem delaying the departure to Friday July 22nd if that helps with the scheduling for others.

Dave    

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #80 - 05/04/16 at 05:24:08

Going on Wednesday the 21st and stopping that night at Blue Ridge Campground would give us enough time to do the entire length of the trip without having to burn ourselves up over getting back home.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #81 - 05/04/16 at 05:37:50

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/04/16 at 05:24:08:

Going on Wednesday the 21st and stopping that night at Blue Ridge Campground would give us enough time to do the entire length of the trip without having to burn ourselves up over getting back home.

Thursday the 21st?

I have an evening meeting on Wednesday the 20th, and it often lasts until 9 PM......the earliest I would be able to leave is Thursday morning.  I have no problem extending the ride into the following week....(Mon/Tues/Wed).

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #82 - 05/04/16 at 13:35:27

Blue Ridge Parkway Ride

OK, Thursday July the 21st through the 26-27.   We will go up the Blue Ridge Parkway from the south end all the way up into Virginia.  

Thurs Fri Sat Sun Mon Tues and that way we will have lots of time to go side explore some.    Wednesday is optional if we are running late getting back.

Grin

...... yes, it means if we get really lost again ......

Please note: folks can join this trip in progress and we will post our location nightly and if we are picking up somebody that we know about we will post changes to pick up schedule right here on the thread.   This trip covers a "pick up area" of the entire South & Mid East and remember, you can pick us up on the return trip as well.

And here is your weather forecast for the days in question.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/canton-nc/28716/july-weather/344623?monyr=7/...

« Last Edit: 05/06/16 at 17:03:44 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #83 - 05/05/16 at 09:59:51

I just changed the dates in my phone to 21st -26th.    Huh

So do I understand it right ---

I'm going to BlueRidge Camp Friday the 21st , and then Smile and Ride for 5 days ?  Smiley

Sounds Good !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #84 - 05/05/16 at 11:32:47

Cabin #4 is reserved for the 21st of July.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #85 - 05/05/16 at 15:14:58

On the subject of Blue Ridge, Simple Life, cabins and pricing.

Currently Blue Ridge is raising our effective price per cabin by rigorously charging for any extra people staying in the cabins.   Although #4 can sleep 4, it is priced at $45 for two per night.   Each additional person is $9.00 extra.

At $54 effective for 3 that comes to $18 per person per night, which is still doable.   Still within a close shot of the pricing of putting up a tent at some places (and still cheaper than most of the up the Blue Ridge places we will see on our trip).

Big Dawg at Simple Life has gone up a bunch requiring at least 2 days of rental at $118 per night.   This is bad, because it used to match Blue Ridge's pricing but now it would require us to get 7 people to equal Blue Ridge's pricing.  

As such I am questioning whether we want to try to do a Big Dog trip this fall as I do not think we will find the required 7 people, and I think we maybe would really fit better at Blue Ridge both for group size and pricing.

I think Dragon Lodge thinking is spoiling the Big Dawg for everybody.  

Good lord knows what Dragon Lodge is charging now .......  $124 for 6 people

We used to plan for about $15 per person per night for a cabin -- better start using $20 per person per night for low cost cabins.   Some tenting sites are charging a lot more this year than last year too so we will get a bit of sticker shock on this trip.

=======================================

New info -- Simple life took all the 4 man cabins and took out one vertical bunk bed and put in a bathroom -- rooms now sleep 2 and are $38 to $68 a night.   This includes the little Rooster Pen cabin we stayed in, it is now a $38 two sleeper in vertical bunk beds.  

Simple life only has one cabin that could fit 3 people any more, apart from Big Dog that requires 6-7 to be economical.

« Last Edit: 05/07/16 at 04:08:38 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #86 - 05/06/16 at 05:02:25

One fall my wife and I went to the Bluegridge and stayed a few nights in their $ 40 cabin, and she loved it.  When they got booked for the weekend we had to leave and find another place to stay, and unfortunately there was some kind of a Gospel Sing Convention in the area that weekend, and Cherokee was the closest we could find a room - and it was $ 100 a night, and not nearly as cozy as the cabin.

If we want to keep going on these rides, we are just going to have to pay what it costs.....we can bounce around between the Deals Gap Inn, Simple Life, Blue Ridge Campground - or other places in the area.  There are lots of places we have not tried - last night I talked to a fellow that has been going to the area for years, and they stay in a hotel in Franklin and ride a lot of the roads in Northern Georgia, go to the Dragon and Cherohola Skyway, up RT 28, and to the Highlands....he believes that Franklin is a very good place to establish as the "base" for exploring the area.

Speaking of which.....is everybody bringing a tent"  Both MM and I have a tent that can sleep 2 (with gear) comfortably - and 3 gets pretty snug (ask Steve/Springman/ArtWebb).  Seems like if it is 3 (possibly 4) of us - we only need 2 tents.
On this trip, the only thing I know for sure is that we will be at the Blueridge Motorcycle Campground on the 21st....after that we will just have to see where the journey takes us.  Maybe I am being a bit naive - but I don't think we will have any problem finding a place to put up our tents at the end of the day.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #87 - 05/06/16 at 07:04:30

The tent me me Steve and Springman used at Waynesboro wa a bit tight for 3 but not unduly so
now if we'd had to hunker out an all day rain in it it might've been sorta claustrophobic

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #88 - 05/07/16 at 04:28:50

Franklin, NC is interesting.   There is a motorcycle good type of road between Franklin and Robbinsville called Waylan road -- a farm road that goes around and about a bit.   One that you could do at speed and have a little private fun.

There are lots of camping places in Franklin and it is far enough off the beaten road to perhaps not be poisoned by the Dragon Lodge elevated pricing.

This place rents cabins for $30 a night.

http://www.mimountaincampground.com/Campsites-Rates.html

This place looks interesting .....

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/113862179807952761001/photos/@35.15874,-7...

We need to go to Franklin intentionally and just see what sort of stuff is really there.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #89 - 05/07/16 at 12:33:41

Still following the post although I won't be there this year Sad

But the county road? 28, is a two laner, black topped and looks pretty clean. (I did a google street view and followed on it just for a bit)

Next time I am up in that area, I think I will make it a point to ride it Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 02:14:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.