Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20
Send Topic Print
July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30 (Read 2386 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: July event in Waynesville NC area - July 22-30
Reply #30 - 03/14/16 at 05:27:39

My best join up spot is the Bojangles on HWY 220 (alias Franklin Street) which will be a couple of blocks north (3,000 feet) of the Roanoke Blue Ridge Parkway exits (ya got two of them exits in Roanoke both on HWY 220 alias Franklin street, so you can actually miss the first one and it does not matter at all whatsoever as the second one works just as well).

The Bojangles is located at 4440 Franklin Rd, Roanoke, VA 24014
(540) 206-2711
I will give you the number for the cell I will be carrying at trip time, since that number shifts around depending on the phone I choose to carry due to best reception.   Might even be my wife's phone, she has unlimited data reception off of either T-Moble or Sprint towers.

Google Fi, gotta love them.   Makes the handle bar Google map thing very easy to do.

Now all you need to do is get up a meet up time that seems reasonable to you and text it in to my cell phone that night when you stop for the first time.   Or call me.  Dave will be with you by then and his phone works really well with my phone.

How is that for flexible?     As long as you can tell me the approximate Roanoke meet up time up at least four-five hours in advance I can roll to hit it pretty much on the dot.    And I will be sipping tea, reading a paperback and enjoying AC comfort during my wait time.
« Last Edit: 03/14/16 at 06:34:04 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Screenshot_at_2016-03-14_083145.png

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 03/14/16 at 05:51:00

That location is very far up north on the Blueridge.....it is about 7.5 hours from MM's house and about 6.5 hours from my house if we made that the starting point.

If MM and I met on the south end near Cherokee we both have about a 5-6 hour ride to Cherokee - and we would get a few miles up the Blueridge and camping for one night.  Then on the second day we could get to Roanoke.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 03/14/16 at 06:02:05

It's not a starting point, just a pick up point.   Where you and MM meet up at is the starting point.

Once you settle in for the night give me a call or a text and allow for me to take 4-5 hours to get to the pick up spot in Roanoke.   I can ride before dawn if needed, so just see where you guys light that first night and call/text me from there.   You can plan out your travel time to Roanoke more accurately once you are at your sleep over spot.

This is everybody all riding bikes, and does not require a return to pick up cars/trailers so it works better for a roving trip.   Everybody can take their best path home when it is all over.

It also allows some other people to see how they can "slide into the ride" since that Parkway covers several states and lots and lots of list members live within reach of the Blue Ridge Parkway/Shenandoah Parkway.

« Last Edit: 03/14/16 at 07:04:53 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 03/14/16 at 06:41:09

OK....so MM and I need to schedule the first leg of the trip and get a tentative schedule.  Anyone that wants to jump in/out of the trip at any point let us know, and we can see how to make that work.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 03/14/16 at 06:48:29

I think we are proto-typing something that might work out well when used on cross country trips as well.   We just need to do it once and see how well it really works.

MM and I have done roving trips before with up to 4 people joining up, so we know about how well it does back in the age of "just paper maps".   Not all that well, I am afraid.

Paper map differences suck, BTW, unless everybody is using the exact same paper map.   Them tourist attraction type maps are plumb DEADLY as they are oversimplified and just plain wrong most times.

Which is why I actually give out the right paper map to folks like Art who are likely to get separated -- it is a kindness to give them the right KNOWN GOOD map that is well known to work well.

Key thing is having a known spot to meet and the slide in guy is there waiting patiently, ready to roll when the group shows up.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #35 - 03/14/16 at 07:53:14

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/13/16 at 10:17:53:

Wasn't it exciting though ????    

Your life flashing before your eyes as you struggle on through the turn while I am busy passing you on the inside ?????

AAAuuuggh !!!!    That's a drop off edge !!!!    A long long way down .....    EEEEEEEK !!!!

Shocked

(could have been worse, you know -- it could have happened inside a strongly curving completely unlit dark narrow arsed Blue Ridge Parkway Tunnel)

My exhaust is REALLY REALLY loud when I crank it open in those narrow tunnels, BTW --- baffle is about shot I am afraid.  

Plus it is DARK in there -- you can see my half a foot of full-ON-thottle blue flame and see inside the glowing hell of my full on muffler's white hot glowing guts and watch that 4 foot expanding diameter donut-shaped BLAM flame blast out, reaching out towards your face when I shut the throttle off when I am just pulling back in just barely in front of you.  

(use of the kill switch is optional, you know)

The first half of my muffler is all blued out for a reason, you know ....... my Stage 1 cam pushes a lot of unburned fuel out the pipe and it lights up inside the muffler at the first baffle turn when the muffler guts get hot enough to self-ignite the fuel vapors.  

Them dark-arsed Blue Ridge Parkway Tunnels can be fun, you know.      Grin

As I recall I only saw you at meet up points, the rest of the time you were WAAAAY out ahead of me Grin and this
Your life flashing before your eyes

AAAuuuggh !!!!    That's a drop off edge !!!!    A long long way down .....    EEEEEEEK !!!!
pretty well sums up the trip in it's entirety  Grin
Maybe I've just come off bikes a few too many times

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #36 - 03/14/16 at 07:55:21

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/14/16 at 06:48:29:

I think we are proto-typing something that might work out well when used on cross country trips as well.   We just need to do it once and see how well it really works.

MM and I have done roving trips before with up to 4 people joining up, so we know about how well it does back in the age of "just paper maps".   Not all that well, I am afraid.

Paper map differences suck, BTW, unless everybody is using the exact same paper map.   Them tourist attraction type maps are plumb DEADLY as they are oversimplified and just plain wrong most times.

Which is why I actually give out the right paper map to folks like Art who are likely to get separated -- it is a kindness to give them the right KNOWN GOOD map that is well known to work well.

Key thing is having a known spot to meet and the slide in guy is there waiting patiently, ready to roll when the group shows up.

Having that proper map in my jacket pocket was very reasuring as I watched the taillight of the slowest rider (aside from me) pull away through the corners  Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #37 - 03/14/16 at 08:22:36

Wow guys !  Shocked

I got away from my computer one day  ...  you fellers about got the details worked out.
I'll get on that Start Date thing today.   I might get to ride the BlueRidge north of the Carolina's this year !  Smiley

How about we pick the "Dry-est and Hot-est  time of year"  the mountains/Parkway are cool and shady anyway .   ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 03/14/16 at 08:36:28

The tentative date is July 22nd to July 30th........

I just looked at the map....and just before Roanoke we pass through a "hot spot" for Old Time String Band music.....Galax has a great music festival, and Roundpeak has a style of clawhammer banjo playing named for the area.  And Mount Airy..........more commonly known as "Mayberry"!

We will be 2 weeks to early for the Galax Music Festival.
http://www.oldfiddlersconvention.com/

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 03/14/16 at 08:52:55

Dave, want to know what is really neat about roving trips?   They can shift at will if something becomes known that is neat that the guys do want to go do.

You spotted something you want to do that is two weeks off the original dates.   Let's shift it some.  Changing stuff for good reasons, that's always OK.

Remember  I picked those original dates off of stuff we aren't going to do at all, so instead Dave is now going to propose some new stuff and new dates that DOES fit what you now know you want to go do.

And its great, the trip just gets better and better.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 03/14/16 at 08:58:36

Camping fee is $80 per space per day.   Can we stay somewhere nearby that is a lot cheaper?   That price is way on up there in the hotel room $$$$.

Quick Google search shows up over 20 campgrounds in the general area of Galax Va.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 03/14/16 at 09:25:22

The festival is something that will have to wait until I retire.....I have 3 City meetings that will be held in the 2nd week of any month.  And the Galax festival is a big deal....you most likely can't get a hotel room or camping spot anywhere in the area.

And if you fellows are coming to my place at the end of August.....I can't be taking off that much time in one month.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 03/14/16 at 09:33:43

Art,

In my unregenerate days I used to pull off in little hidey holes and let the group go on by and then I'd blast back up through them again and again and again.   (they was going sooooo slow)

One time I snuck up behind Serenity into his blind spot and pulled off into a gas stop literally a foot off his bumper.   He took his helmet off and proceeded to ask if anybody knew where I had gotten off to -- and everybody started grinning at him and laughing.   He was puzzled until I answered his question.

Unregenerate, that's what I was -- MM used to pray for me sometimes out loud.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #43 - 03/14/16 at 11:14:08

Unregenerate, that's what I was -- MM used to pray for me sometimes out loud.]

Nothing has changed execpt the "Sometimes" part !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #44 - 03/14/16 at 11:25:51

Quick Google search shows up over 20 campgrounds in the general area of Galax Va.

Dave , if you went east from you house --- how far is the Parkway ?   If me and OldFeller was headed North on the Parkway for one day from Ashville area then would we be about your latitude ?

Huh

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 11:48:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.