Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 20
Send Topic Print
July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30 (Read 2386 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: July event in Waynesville NC area - July 22-30
Reply #15 - 03/13/16 at 07:19:50

Some of the sweeper roads are like the Cherohala Skyway which have 45mph general speed limits that could be throttle locked by Hurley people not wanting a ticket --- then they could concentrate on the scenery and not worry about them gentle sweeping curves.

Other people see the same road as more challenging but are doing it well above the speed limit .....

Rule of thumb  --- twice as fast as the turn is rated gets you up into the exciting range.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #16 - 03/13/16 at 08:24:59

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/13/16 at 07:19:50:

Rule of thumb  --- twice as fast as the turn is rated gets you up into the exciting range.

or smeared across the scenery
I lowsided on the sisters at about 1.5x the posted speed for that corner
Target fixation and ham fisted braking  Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 03/13/16 at 10:17:53

Wasn't it exciting though ????    

Your life flashing before your eyes as you struggle on through the turn while I am busy passing you on the inside ?????

AAAuuuggh !!!!    That's a drop off edge !!!!    A long long way down .....    EEEEEEEK !!!!

Shocked

(could have been worse, you know -- it could have happened inside a strongly curving completely unlit dark narrow arsed Blue Ridge Parkway Tunnel)

My exhaust is REALLY REALLY loud when I crank it open in those narrow tunnels, BTW --- baffle is about shot I am afraid.  

Plus it is DARK in there -- you can see my half a foot of full-ON-thottle blue flame and see inside the glowing hell of my full on muffler's white hot glowing guts and watch that 4 foot expanding diameter donut-shaped BLAM flame blast out, reaching out towards your face when I shut the throttle off when I am just pulling back in just barely in front of you.  

(use of the kill switch is optional, you know)

The first half of my muffler is all blued out for a reason, you know ....... my Stage 1 cam pushes a lot of unburned fuel out the pipe and it lights up inside the muffler at the first baffle turn when the muffler guts get hot enough to self-ignite the fuel vapors.  

Them dark-arsed Blue Ridge Parkway Tunnels can be fun, you know.      Grin

« Last Edit: 03/13/16 at 19:46:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 03/13/16 at 18:57:57

Seriously now are you going to have a starting spot and a starting date/time and a planned duration so people can put in for vacation?

If it is a carry a tent and bag and Camp wherever we find trip you need to say that and simply get the start Point tied down good.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 03/13/16 at 19:16:36

Seriously now are you going to have a starting spot and a starting date/time and a planned duration so people can put in for vacation?

If it is a carry a tent and bag and Camp wherever we find trip you need to say that and simply get the start Point tied down good.

Huh

If this is mine :
I need to find  somebody who want to do the same ride , and plan it with them , then invite everybody else .
Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 03/13/16 at 19:21:50

It's yours, you pack the tent and tell me where/when to meet up with you.    

Pick a spot to leave a car and a trailer ...... could be your house, you know.

I solemnly promise not to terrorize Jeb if your bring him, nor anybody else for that matter.

I am now just a little old slow poky old geezer any more.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #21 - 03/13/16 at 19:28:58

Roll Eyes

Has your Dr. and  Wife'y OK'ed this  ?

We've had some really cool trips , that started with just you and me .  Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 03/13/16 at 19:32:28

I am cleared to go back to work on the 21st of this month and am already driving a car and riding my motorcycle.

My ticker is just that -- it clicks and ticks along jest fine.   All my holes are at the scabbed over and shrinking to pimple sized stage.

Need a start date/time, meet point and duration time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #23 - 03/13/16 at 19:59:52

OldFeller

Is the nine day trip (from my house) to Texas and back too long right now ?  

I need to plot out the summer on a Desk size calendar so I can see it more clear .    How many days can you be gone ?  

You remember Al-from-NH.   Best I remember he would make two or three days between NH. and the Dragon.  The way he told it was , after the Blue Ridge ends then another parkway starts up , then another ,and goes North to some more mountain stuff.  
You remember any of those pictures of the Northern Appalachians Mountains  ?   or the name of the parkways after we get north of the "Mason-Dickson" line ?  Grin

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 03/13/16 at 21:13:43

Worry about your Texas trip first -- lots of time to plan another trip after the Texas trip is over.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 03/14/16 at 03:42:39

Well I am in for some portion of the trip.  Maybe meet at the start point and ride for a 3-5 day portion.....or intercept you somewhere along the way.  The weird part about the Blueridge.....is that both ends are about 5 hours from where I live.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 03/14/16 at 04:35:08

Here's an idea (just a thought) -- pick at it all you want, its free to pick at all you want.     Cheesy

Dave likes to start on Wednesday afternoons since that works well for his job stuff.

Dave will likely ride his bike to his most likely Join Up Spot since he is going to break off at some point in time and head for home.   I expect to see a big comfortable Honda show up (with lots of bag space).

MM is going to load up a tent and ride his Sporster up the Parkway to the Join Up Spots anyway.   [color=#0000ff][b]He can ride to the start portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway and come up the Parkway to the first Join Up Spot and pick up Dave.

Skyline Drive used to be the name of the Blue Ridge Parkway once it got up into Virginia.  Now the whole thing is the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way up to just about at Washington DC.   The Shenandoah Skyline portion used to require a fee to get on it, I am not sure about that any more.   This stuff changes from year to year.

You got over 469 miles of very pretty 45 mph road to oggle at.    People claim that the Virginia portion gets to be very very mild compared to the higher steeper NC portions.

Dave and I will break off at some point to ride back for home.  Likely we will get to Friday sometimes and talk about heading on back.   Dave will bust out on to an interstate at that point in time and make him some better time heading home.   I doubt I'd ride the parkway all the way back, but might pick some faster secondary roads that led back quicker to my house.

Can we do the whole length in 2 days one way?  Yes, it will be low traffic weekdays and we can go faster than the speed limit in some of the sections.  If we do that, the trip will be more risky, but would be a much more satisfying ride.

Issue really is that the whole enchilada is a two way trip of at least 4-5 days from the way MM is looking at it.

The rub is that when it gets all flatter up in Virginia Shenandoah hills area -- you have to ask yourself "Whats the point?"

The Shenandoah Skyline wasn't ever noted as being a real motorcycle road anyway ('cept mebbe for a big Hurley group ride).

=====================================

I will ride my Savage straight up north to the Roanoke area and pick the up group up there at my designated Join Up Spot and just ride the bike north for a few days, then back South and exit at Roanoke again.   My open road miles will be perfectly doable that way.  

So, around Roanoke area pick a Join Up Spot and name a time span for me to be there and I will be kicked back reading a paperback book when you get there.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 03/14/16 at 04:59:27

With the trip being late in the month - I have a lot less meetings and I might be able to get away a little longer than usual.  I was not able to get away much last year, and I have a lot of carryover vacation time to use up this year.  The only thing I need to worry about - is if I have any construction projects that need attention in late July.

And if the thing is a moving camping trip - I will most likely have the Honda ST as my ride. My Cafe' conversion is a great bike when we are riding around Waynesville or Dragon Central - but it isn't good for hauling any luggage.  This will be my first motorcycle camping trip - last year was the first trip where I actually rode a motorcycle to the event....instead of hauling a bike down on  a trailer.  The interstate ride down was really hot and the traffic in Knoxville was brutal (Full sun, 95 degrees and an hour traffic jam) - so in those conditions I like having a car, AC and a radio!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 03/14/16 at 05:13:23

Dave, where do you see the best spot for you to meet up with MM?

Realize it needs to be a spot where you can wait comfortably since that is likely from what has happened in year's past on these roving type trips ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 03/14/16 at 05:24:13

If the goal is to stick to the Parkway....the south end is near Cherokee and the ride for both MM and I to get to that location is a similar distance.  If we are going to meet at MM's house....that is about the same length of ride for me as it is to Cherokee.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 10:04:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.