Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Send Topic Print
August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND - August 24-28. (Read 2526 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND
Reply #90 - 03/10/16 at 20:16:53

I've got 23K miles + ,  our Texas ride is coming up and that will add about 3000 more .   So by the last of April I'll know if 25,ooo miles is too many !  Grin

Didn't Lancer get-up the last super cam chain order ?  

I'll put money up-front if anyone knows how to order more.  Huh

SpringMan new cam chain is not for the faint of heart !  Roll Eyes  

Just kidding  Grin
Ain't nothing hard to do on a Savage !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #91 - 03/10/16 at 20:43:06

OldFeller

If Dave all ready has his bike apart let him have the super chain , I suspect we'll get more before long .   I'm thinking :  I replaced the original on my 96 Savage at about 14K miles with the Super-Chain and a modify adjuster.  There were 42K + miles on it when I sold it with no rattle yet .   I think the original will do 30K or more.   I put a weaker spring (about 1/3 tension) when the S-40 was still young (+- 8000 miles) along with a modified adjuster arm that brought the adjuster almost to -0- zero on the used scale. Wink

During the winter of 2016 I'll put a new chain in no matter what.   I think the  S-40 will have 30,000 miles or more by then.  

I keep it idled up and use the best oil I can get in it.  

Some of those "PINK" bullets now , I might wrestle Dave over some of them !  Grin

Hay   Roll Eyes  --- YouzGuyz  would have an Idea of , "How long a cam chain can last" ?  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #92 - 03/11/16 at 04:26:55

It sounds like MM is in more need of a new chain than i am.

I only have 7,000 miles on my current cam chain......so I doubt I am in need of a new one.  But I thought since I was going to be in there fooling around to put in a Stage 3 cam, it might be a good time to upgrade to the Nitrided cam chain.

Lancer is having trouble getting though to the folks that make the better cam chain....maybe they don't want to build less than 1,000 at a time?

I put a really soft spring in the Rescue bike - but surprisingly the spring still extended the tensioner to where the original spring was.  I measured the tensioner extension, removed the original spring and put in the softer one, then turned the engine over a couple of times and measured the extension....and it was within 1/2mm of what the stronger spring did.  I do believe a softer spring might be able to get us a few more miles out of the chain.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #93 - 03/11/16 at 07:23:33

Ya'll remember them old Honda's with the adjusters without the "Ratchet action".    So , one would loosen the adjuster keeper letting the spring push the chain tight --- then tighten it so it couldn't back up. --- Then repeat at the next oil change time !  Smiley   Back then I can see where the need for a strong spring was good.  How different some of that old tech was.   Like the "Cam-Action" valve lash adjuster on the old Honda 350 twin , I used to adjust mine with the motor running ,when it quit making noise it was right.  Roll Eyes

Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #94 - 03/11/16 at 07:32:32

My XS was like that IIRC

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #95 - 03/11/16 at 09:49:56

As little riding as I am getting to do lately I figure it will be at least another 2+ years before I get to 30K miles. If Lancer is able to contact the super chain manufacturers please let me know, I guess I could possibly be in the market for one.

And maybe what I'll do at that point is ride on over to MM's and get him to help me do it. Grin Grin Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #96 - 03/11/16 at 23:32:11

And maybe what I'll do at that point is ride on over to MM's and get him to help me do it. Grin Grin Grin

Come on over !   I've got a  motorcycle jack that can pick-up any bike you got !

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #97 - 03/29/16 at 17:08:40

Dave, it is early spring time.   You got you some new toys you need to shake out some before you trust it carrying your wife.

MM is headed for Texas on April 15th and for another Group Ride with his hurley group.   It is  April May June until our run up the Blue Ridge.   That is a long time to go rideless.

Wanna do a shorter mini-run one April/May weekend?   Something to stretch the new toy out and get the cobwebs out of the exhaust pipes?    Something smaller and more local so you can do it and shake out your own winter cobwebs at the same time?

I have a couple of days vacation time that needs to be used in April/May.

You pick this one, Mike picked the Blue Ridge Run.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #98 - 03/29/16 at 19:29:48

MM is headed for Texas on April 15th and for another Group Ride with his hurley group.   It is  April May June until our run up the Blue Ridge.   That is a long time to go rideless.

The Texas ride is a Savage Ride , with YouzGuyz Leading.  

So ,  we going to take Dave's new toy out for a test run ??  Grin

really ,  I've just about filled my calendar already .

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #99 - 03/30/16 at 01:50:00

MM, you gots rides & rides & rides coming out your ears this year .....  If Dave decides to do a shake down cruise in the spring to early summer (his busy time of the year) it might well be local and very short.    Whether he wants company or not is up to him

I may go to Wilmington NC to see my brother just to shake my cobwebs off.   Or Raleigh, to see my daughter.

Vacation actually GREW while I was out on medical leave -- gotta go kill a few which will regenerate again before July.

Short ride on the bike seems a good way to do that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #100 - 03/30/16 at 04:47:17

If things at work continue like they currently are......I won't be able to get away for a while.  Weekdays are filled with "work", and weekends are filled with "homework".  I just don't seem to be able to keep up with the work that is coming in.

It will take me a month or more to recover from the last weekend we spent visiting my mother....and this weekend going to get the "NT" in "TN".  (NT700 in Tennessee).

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #101 - 03/31/16 at 07:20:25

Short ride on the bike seems a good way to do that.

Ya'll boys have fun !  Grin

Dave , if your getting your bike from TN. then its already got some good luck on it .   Wink

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #102 - 04/02/16 at 13:59:46

It is not warm enough for a good ride yet.   I will put in for a Friday "weekend stretcher" or two to keep my vacation time trimmed within bounds .....

If Dave sees a hole or an event opportunity, he can speak up at any time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #103 - 04/02/16 at 14:49:59

had to break out the summer jacket today.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #104 - 04/04/16 at 04:34:29

I was able to go get my new (used) NT700 over the weekend, and my ST1100 is leaving tomorrow.

The wife and I rode around the block yesterday afternoon when we got back from picking up the bike in TN.  The smaller size and lighter weight is more suited to my short legs and small body size, and the bike has plenty of power and rides very nicely.  Loading the smaller NT700 is a whole lot easier and safer....the ST1100 is scary to load/unload by myself.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 22:01:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND - August 24-28.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.