Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
4 gallon tank on Purple Passion (Read 996 times)
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
4 gallon tank on Purple Passion
01/21/16 at 19:03:23

Ok in my Purple Passion build link I said I would dedicate a thread to my adding a 4.2 gallon tank to the S-40 build.  So here it is.

I searched many tanks trying to find one that would:
1.  hold at least 4.0 gallons
2.  fit over all the crap along the backbone
3. Still look like a cruiser
4. not really be much longer if any than the stock tank

I searched quite a few and finally settled on a V Star 650 tank.  I was amazed at how hard they were to come by if you don't want one that is already bashed in.  If they are clean they are pricey.  I finally snagged a deal on one.  So I will try to give all the details and answer any questions in case anyone decides they want to try the same.

Here is the stock bike.

Now here it is with the V Star tank.

For those that want to see the tanks side by side here are some views.

To do this mod I wanted to limit the amount of modifications to the frame that I had to make.  I got by with drilling one new hole and barely opening up two existing holes.  I will point these out as I go forward with the mount details.

Total length difference as far as affecting the seat was only about 1-1.25".

Here is what the front of the seat looked like after I trimmed it to fit.

I will post more details on the mounts shortly.

« Last Edit: 01/22/16 at 03:27:48 by smokin_blue »  
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 4 gallon tank on Purple Passion
Reply #1 - 01/21/16 at 20:27:03

Looks great. The only thing I see that makes me wonder how it is gonna work out is how wide it is inside the bottom. Are you gonna be able to disguise that? It may look like a taco shell sitting on a coat hanger as you walk up from the front.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #2 - 01/22/16 at 03:30:29

Actually it is not bad.  It is all right behind the forks and headlight.   The horn fills up the left side and the right is not bad at all.   Yes it is not as close as the stock tank but it does not look really wacked.  I will be posting pictures of the mounts and then when I get the tank back on. I will try to post some pictures from the front.

WWW   IP Logged
Jer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/22/16 at 09:51:40

Wow! Looks good!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #4 - 01/22/16 at 10:24:32

Smokin, What is that back wheel from? 15'' or 16''? It looks like it takes the stock rear brake? I used the rear from a 02' Murader and had to make a torque arm.

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/22/16 at 10:31:09

Looks good! No issues with lock-to-lock contact of forks to tank?

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 01/22/16 at 10:41:00

badwolf wrote on 01/22/16 at 10:24:32:
Smokin, What is that back wheel from? 15'' or 16''? It looks like it takes the stock rear brake? I used the rear from a 02' Murader and had to make a torque arm.

See the Purple Passion build  for details on that
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1453341892/0

« Last Edit: 01/23/16 at 09:33:34 by smokin_blue »  
WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #7 - 01/22/16 at 10:43:09

Rodger wrote on 01/22/16 at 10:31:09:
Looks good! No issues with lock-to-lock contact of forks to tank?

nope... the forks are fine what you have to watch is the back end of the turn signals but I checked and I have about an inch

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 01/22/16 at 12:24:53

Maybe it's partially camera angles being different, but the 2nd pic with the new tank just looks bada$$. If that ends up being a relatively simple install I would love to find a black one and do the same.

Will the tank speedo and lights work when you are done?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 01/22/16 at 12:52:23

Is the stock petcock (or Raptor) gonna fit?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Blade

Sydney   Australia
Reply #10 - 01/22/16 at 16:44:21

Totally transforms the look of the bike. Very nice.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 01/22/16 at 22:33:50

Wow! Looks like a much bigger bike.  Looks cool!

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #12 - 01/23/16 at 09:15:43

update on the fork clearance.  I decided to double check one more time.  Forks are slightly closer than the turn signals by about 1/4".  At least on this bike the turn to lock on the right is farther than the turn to the left so the right side is the closest.  What comes the closest is the chrome bezel to the triple clamp at full lock to the right.  However the tank can be adjusted forward and back pretty easily so sliding it back 1/8" goes from just kissing it to clearance.

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #13 - 01/23/16 at 09:26:35

stewmills wrote on 01/22/16 at 12:24:53:
Maybe it's partially camera angles being different, but the 2nd pic with the new tank just looks bada$$. If that ends up being a relatively simple install I would love to find a black one and do the same.

Will the tank speedo and lights work when you are done?

Seat has be shaved to a fast back style.

The speedo is geared the same.  I ran them with my electric drill up to full drill speed and they both held right at 62-63 mph.

I want to run the speedo just to track miles so I have two choices.
1. I can have a new speedo cable made up 3" longer than stock and on a stock bike this should work.
2. Run a speedo cable down to the front rim and run off a standard wheel drive.  That is the way the yamaha worked and that bike runs either a 130/90-16 or a 100/90-19 front.  Tire diameter would be 25.2" and 26.0" respecitively which is a 3% difference or 1.8 mph at 60.  I am guessing they didn't make different drives.

Now I am running a 16" mag on the back with a chain conversion with a total gearing (sprockets and wheel) change of about 9%.  That said coming off the engine will have some error for me.  If I come off the front wheel being a 19" mag I should be able to be accurate.  I just need to try it and see if the old GS speed drives were geared the same as the yamaha.

Ultimately my wife runs a Vapor for speed and tripmeter so it would be more of an odometer and indicator lights, which she rarely uses.  I wanted to just make them functional and keep the total miles as current as possible.  Ultimately the bike would have more miles than shown by the 9% but as far as engine wear the revs would be the same.  Either way I am not sure which way I will try first  and I am not going to worry about the error.  As for the lights I will have to make a pig tail jumper or rewire the speedo with a suzuki connector.

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #14 - 01/23/16 at 09:31:09

Kris01 wrote on 01/22/16 at 12:52:23:
Is the stock petcock (or Raptor) gonna fit?

The petcock on this tank is way forward compared to the S-40.  The stock petcock does not fit because the diaphragm part of the petcock hits.  I was planning on using the stock yamaha petcock that came with the tank but it is made for 6mm fuel line not 8mm.  I bought a raptor petcock for that reason and it bolts up fine and the reserve point is identical to the stock v star.  The only difference is the petcock hangs down 3/4" lower than the stock V star which was very tight to the tank.  

all that said since then I have found the brass spigot can be pulled out of the v-star petcock so I could just replace that with an 8mm piece if I wanted.  The fit diameter is the same it is the hose portion that is different between them.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 12:36:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 4 gallon tank on Purple Passion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.