Send Topic Print
Squealing brakes (Read 33 times)
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Squealing brakes
06/27/19 at 22:01:03

2005 Boulevard s40. Dealer said he put new fronts in (I had to wait a coupla days), back brake....I dunno. Everytime I stop, though, both brakes squeal. Should I check the fluid? The brakes?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Squealing brakes
Reply #1 - 06/27/19 at 22:47:38

Unless your pads were worn out, most likely they'll squeal again.
I prefer pads of kevlar, that's a trade name so you'll have to look for the generic name which gets a little tricky.  Organic is the usual keyword.

Normal squeal prevention is to keep em clean.
Drilling the disk helps.

On the rear, they don't wear out very fast.  Just check them every tire change.  Several hard stops to drive out moisture helps.  Clearing the dust out helps.  Not that you can do that.  But if you cut the leading edge of the brake shoe so that dust is moved towards the end of the brake it will help.  Almost all brake shoes are ground with a taper that allows the dust to get between the shoe and drum.  That's where your noise comes from.  Cut that taper off with an angle grinder.  Cut it at an angle that will push the dust to the end of the brake.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Squealing brakes
Reply #2 - 06/28/19 at 04:00:08

The stock front pads are prone to squealing, and as Verslagen suggested using the EBC organics are quieter.

When you wash the bike, it is leaning on the left side kick stand - which also makes the rear brake open on the uphill (right) side....water can sit in the brake drum and rust the steel lining.  When you ride the brake shoes rub off the rust - but over time the rust gets impregnated into the brake lining.  The  rear brake noise can be reduced by taking the rear wheel apart and cleaning the drum, and using some sandpaper to clean the shine and contamination off the brake shoes.  (And never wash a bike and put it away wet - go for a long enough ride to bake the standing water off the engine as a lot of water get trapped in the cylinder head and used the brakes enough to dry them out).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 07:58:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squealing brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.