Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 61
Send Topic Print
Android/Chrome/Fuchsia vs Windows/Polaris (Read 15390 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Android vs Windows 10
Reply #150 - 05/05/16 at 12:34:47

http://liliputing.com/2016/05/upgrading-windows-10-will-cost-119-starting-jul...

Upgrading to Windows 10 will cost $119 starting July 29th

MS outs its new strategy to monetize Windows 10 ASAP.    Answer -- at the end of the one year start charging for the OS and any future upgrades on an ongoing fashion.

Is this the final word -- no, not likely.   The reaction so far has been "See, I told you so -- the OLD MS sticks its head back out of its freebee painted shell and starts acting like ----MS ---- all over again.  

This shatters all the image work done in the past 8 months as MS has NOT MET A SINGLE INTERIM GOAL since the project started.

And now they want you to give them $120 for a perpetually unfinished OS system ????

Pay them $120 so they can own your machine to torrent out upgrades on your data plan $$$ every night?

Read the pretty picture up above ..... for a PC only OS that does NOT run on all tablets and all the game boxes as promised before?

For an OS that they can only say they gave away 300 million copies of (that 2/3 of the people out there did not want, even if it was free)?

That MS had to lie to and coerce people unmercifully just to get it on the 300 million machines?

Huh       ..... is this who you want to be locked into for the rest of your life?

« Last Edit: 05/05/16 at 15:28:27 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #151 - 05/05/16 at 14:54:07

MS has NOT MET A SINGLE INTERIM GOAL since the project started.

. is this who you want to be locked into for the rest of your life?

Ohh, the parallels between those facts and the economy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #152 - 05/05/16 at 15:25:31

Go ahead Justin, we know you want to ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #153 - 05/15/16 at 11:20:01

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-auto-schedules-updates,31802.html

Microsoft Auto-Scheduling Windows 10 Upgrades

Windows 10 has been with us for a little over eight months now, which means there are only about four months remaining to get a free upgrade from an older Windows operating system. As the clock counts down, Microsoft has begun to auto-schedule PCs to upgrade to Windows 10 with or without consent from end users.

When Microsoft created Windows 10, it tied in numerous monitoring and data collection tools. The operating system is capable of gathering your search history, web usage, Windows Store usage, details of what applications you use, voice recordings, emails, geographic information and just about anything else that is on your PC. This information is gathered in part for improving Windows-based services, but it is also used for market research and advertising purposes.

Because each user on Windows 10 increases the amount of advertising information available to Microsoft, which in turn enables Microsoft to earn more revenue from selling this data, it is not surprising that Microsoft wants everyone to use its new OS. This lead to Microsoft offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade to both Windows 7 and Windows 8, as users of either OS were unlikely to want to pay for a new OS on an already relatively new PC.

Still, there were numerous users that opted to stick with their older Windows OSes, but they were still subject to  annoying pop-ups trying to get you to move to Windows 10. Even after you close the pop-up, it returns after a few short hours, relentlessly probing you to upgrade.

Now, as we near the end of the free upgrade period, Microsoft’s malware-like upgrade system is becoming even more intrusive by autoscheduling upgrades to Windows 10. I noticed that the Windows 10 upgrade reminder pop-up on a Windows 7 PC was no longer asking me to upgrade; instead, it’s now informing me that it has already scheduled an update for May 17.

So, they will do you willy nilly, huh?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #154 - 05/16/16 at 01:23:43

So I clicked the  Get Win 10 icon, and yes I was scheduled to be upgraded on the 17th NZ time I assumed. There was a cancel upgrade option which I clicked. I hope the exhaust box in my computer doesn't explode

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #155 - 05/16/16 at 08:30:33

so far my PC has said noffink about an upgrade
so far it continues to function
wonder how long that's gonna last?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #156 - 05/16/16 at 09:19:37

Just a FYI for anyone considering...

I just bought a used PC with a copy of Win7 that apparently wasn't registered,... so it kinda' shut-down on me.
So,... I installed Linux mint mate 17.3...
My last experience with Mate was version 16, and I wasn't too happy with it.
This one is much better...
I'm very picky about having things work the way I want them to,... and 17.3 is doing everything I demand.

If you get too frustrated with MS,... it's worth a try.  It's free, and it's pretty good.
Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #157 - 05/16/16 at 09:23:28

thanks for that report
I'd still probably just go android though, since I am in no way a power user
oh BTW, anyone know of a good 'first person shooter' for PC? sometimes the net just ain't enough
(apologies for thread jack)

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #158 - 05/17/16 at 13:24:05

http://liliputing.com/2016/05/ibm-phase-change-memory-cheaper-ram-versatile.html

There are 3 camps attempting to pull this new super cheap solid state memory off.  

One is IBM with their Phase Change memory.  

Second is HP/Sandisk working on Memristor/ReRam.  

Last, and most theoretical at this point in time is Intel/Micron with their 3D Xpoint Memory.

Kinda like LENR, the 3 groups are chasing different ways to skin the same Cat -- and all you can really count on is somebody is gonna pull it off, sooner or later.

Somebody will do 7nm and somebody will do a memory that really complements the new non-silicon computing chips.  

Cool

Count on it -- take it to the bank as it will happen.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #159 - 05/18/16 at 00:53:45

http://liliputing.com/2016/05/nxpfreescales-64-bit-mx-8-chips-finally-coming....

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/05/17/nxp-unveiled-i-mx-8-multisensory-enabl...

NXP is a company that does electronic packages for cars.   This is a large business with strong and growing requirements as we swing towards self parking, self driving as required sales features in new cars.

NXP bought up Freescale as they were using their chipsets a lot but NXP wanted additional features put into the chips to suit their in-dash uses and to expand out into multiple sensors and cameras out all over the car.   Lots more video and camera and sensors of various types.  Freescale was willing but lacked the funding -- now that NXP owns them they don't lack funding but are now using most of their foundry allocations up internally.

Now NXP/Freescale has built them a monster 10 core ARM A72 to do all the neat stuff the car makers currently want.

Makes cell phones and computers look sorta easy, doesn't it?    Now you get a feel for why ARM designed the A72 deca-core monster designs -- automotive was a big needs area.   Now that both Freescale and Mediatek have the 10 core chips in production, you can expect to see more and different products coming out that are using the 10 core monster ARM processors instead of Intel chipsets.

And you also see why Intel has retreated from these industries back towards the datacenter world (especially after Ford fired them and Microsoft for costing Ford a bunch of JD Powers consumer satisfaction points for "very difficult to use" dash packages ..... )

ARM processors running Linux (a skinned version of Android)  ......   that  Google type self-driving stuff is coming to see you from everywhere.

« Last Edit: 05/18/16 at 13:19:00 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #160 - 05/18/16 at 13:08:56

http://liliputing.com/2016/05/keeping-windows-7-windows-8-1-date-just-got-way...

Guess who just decided that Win 10 really WASN'T really going to be taking over the whole world just yet ...... and that they'd had better get crackin' to keep Win 7 up to snuff and working well if they wished for all the Serobots in the world to please quit telling folks to go to Linux Mint 17.3 and DUMPING POOR OLD MS OFF ON IT'S ARSE.

Microsoft would really like you to use Windows 10… but if you’re not ready to make the switch from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, the company is now continuing to support those operating systems with security updates and bug fixes.

Monthly Rollups

So what about updates from after April, 2016? Microsoft will be offering monthly rollups that let you install a bunch of cumulative non-security updates all in one go.

There will be monthly rollups for the following operating systems:

Windows 7 SP1
Windows 8.1
Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2012 R2

Monthly rollups can be downloaded manually, but they’re also available through Windows Update.

Holy 180o 100% screeching full reversal, Batman !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #161 - 05/18/16 at 15:17:27

http://liliputing.com/2016/05/yep-google-play-store-coming-chrome-os.html

Yep, the Google Play Store is coming to Chrome OS (on modern touch screen Chromebooks first) in June of this year

If you are a Chrome centric sort of person, this completes the fusion of the OS's with it all taking place on your Chromebook as a backbone.   You now have your full on-line world AND the full local install world of Android Play Store apps.

You also can Crouton all of Linux Ubuntu and Mint on your same machine, treating Ubuntu or Mint as Chrome App tabs that can do a whole lot more as local loaded software.

This move gets a full year to mature and to jell together to see what sort of acceptance it grows against the existing Windows laptop populations.  Then the Android half will rise up to meet it.

Yes, the Android half is yet to come.   Chrome OS picking up all of the Play Stores is just step 1-A of the whole total Google fusion plan, the next move is the next year's Android O (not N but O).  This will be an Android that will have all the Jide type functions built in to Android itself, giving you a full functioning windowing taskbar'd type OS out of Android.  

Plus the phone/pc thing will be naturally occurring as the phones will all have 3-4 gigs of memory and lots & lots of processor power to drive the whole shebang while showing it on a big monitor and a real keyboard and mouse.

Now it will be all there and THEN it is time to trim off the excess and start to refine and polish the merged systems ......  completely according to where the customer base wants to drive it.

Thought ..... if Oracle wins their current anti-Java suit against Google, the fused stuff will just be more Chrome based in order to comply with ditching any Java taint remaining in Android.  

If not, then not.

« Last Edit: 05/19/16 at 19:22:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #162 - 05/18/16 at 19:59:02

Well OF, you've played a part, by keeping the illiteratui  like me away from the darned thing. A friend of mine has his computer in "hospital" at the moment because of Win 10.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #163 - 05/21/16 at 04:09:07

http://lpxshow.com/lpx-episode-9-funeral-for-an-atom-processor/

Here is a group of futurists discussing where computing stuff is going in the next 3 years.    Intel is dropping out of the mix on the low end, Nvidia moving over to automotive, Qualcomm losing a lot of ground to Mediatek and Allwinner and Rockchip -- these are the sorts of things that tend to affect the industry rolling into the next few years.

Cars are very very big right now and Intel isn't there at all -- Nvidia owns it right now.   The smarter companies are finding new expanding niches to roll their research dollars into so they are the ground floor "owners" of that area as it begins erupting into exponential growth.

Another item of huge expansion is big rack space Internet supporters -- the biggest rack space companies are now designing and building their own specialty chipsets to cut energy and cooling and still gain massive amounts of speed by being built specifically to run their particular software and application.    

As Intel attempts to roll into this space as their safe haven, they are finding their biggest potential customers (Google and Facebook) really don't need them at all any more because they both build their own chipsets now.  

And theirs is 100% ARM RISC derived customized designs supporting customized to fit cut down very fast Linux softwares.    Hardware and software were designed at the same time to do that one job just as efficiently and quickly as possible.

CISC and Intel x86 simply need not apply -- way too fat slow and porky.   "Generic" do anything x86 simply isn't what is needed in rackspace any more.   Intel hasn't figured this out yet ..... and having made their move to the data center and abandoning low end PC as uncontested leaves them middle to upper PC space as their only sales outlet.

And, please remember those 10 core A72 chipsets and the Apple A-10x superchipset that CAN DO LAPTOP DUTY RIGHT NOW WITH THE RIGHT OS PRODUCT TO DRIVE IT.  

Intel is not looking good at the moment.

Neither is Microsoft, after being forced by reality to backtrack 180o on their big Win 10 "do or die" push.

Tongue

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #164 - 05/21/16 at 04:55:54

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2989001/microsoft-windows/windows-10-ada...

Windows 10: Adapt or die

And although the changes seemed massive -- and overnight to many, what with Microsoft talking about the specifics only this year -- there will be time to make the necessary adjustments. Windows 10, after all, launched only eight months ago, and enterprises have another 30 to get their ducks in a row, and their devices onto Windows 10 before 7 lumbers into retirement.   Oh wait ..... is Win 7 even going to retire now ????

Likewise, measuring Microsoft's success in the transformation of Windows into a semi-service won't happen overnight. Kleynhans predicted that it would be at least two years before customers -- and Microsoft -- have a good handle on how, or even if, the new process works.

And if it doesn't?

"Microsoft can be pretty responsive to the customer base," said Kleynhans "If people say, "I just can't take this," Microsoft will work with the customer base."

I think MS has hit the end of their declared free upgrade period, skirting the limits of getting sued massively by class action lawsuits for coercing their customer base and lying out the ass to them about "promised this and that" just to get them to upgrade.   The number of dead post upgrade PCs is quite large now and the bill for that is coming due and MS doesn't want to pay that bill nor acknowledge their actions created all those dead computers and angry customers in the first place.

Expect MS customer service to start offering a post 30 day Win 7 or Win 8.1 go back to people with hardware that simply cannot run their new Win 10 OS that got Win 10 installed anyway by MS at night willy nilly style.

Win 10 was indeed do or die for MS ---- time to start talking about joining "the walled garden tea party" or else planning on moving away from MS completely.

Sero, what was that completely free software that works good again ?????    The stuff you installed when your Win installation got all unfriendly on you?

Huh

« Last Edit: 05/21/16 at 12:19:22 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 61
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 16:17:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Android/Chrome/Fuchsia vs Windows/Polaris

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!