Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Harley Muffler and Exhaust Theory (Read 450 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Harley Muffler and Exhaust Theory
Reply #45 - 12/03/15 at 13:02:40

Dave wrote on 12/03/15 at 12:50:51:
cheapnewb24 wrote on 12/03/15 at 12:32:27:
Nobody has really tried to explain why the fellow with the Raask drag pipe didn't have a mid-range dip in his torque curve.  Wink I'm waiting... Cool

Hate to keep you waiting.

Maybe that sag in the HP curve at 3,750 is the mid range dip.

Hmmm... maybe. I originally took it as a midrange bump rather than a dip. Doesn't seem too bad for a drag pipe dip compared to what I remember on that drag pipe bashing video. Maybe he stuck some good baffles in it, or the big single is not as vulnerable to it for some reason.
Isn't there a point in the midrange where there is sometimes an extra torque boost due to the exhaust pulses working to the engine's advantage, or something like that? Like I said, I took it as a bump rather than a dip. I may be wrong, though; it could be a dip. Not trying to stretch out an argument here.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #46 - 12/03/15 at 13:19:20

cheapnewb24 wrote on 12/03/15 at 12:41:30:
chzeckmate wrote on 12/03/15 at 12:11:08:
All the science in the world isn't going to tell you what it feels like.  Adding a performance muffler and rejetting accordingly will definitely deliver more HP, but not enough in my opinion, to put this much thought into it.  The rule of thumb is, you need to gain 10% or more HP in order to really make any real difference.  A new muffler and jets will certainly not deliver 10%.  You're not going to even come close until you start looking at mechanical parts (cam, piston, etc).  If you're thinking about that stuff you're either a garage warrior who just loves digging in, or you've got the wrong bike.  New muffler and jets is more of a visceral improvement than anything else, but that's really more important than anything else in my opinion.

You're saying that there will be a noticeable difference in the feel of the bike even though it doesn't show much on a dyno, and that some of the difference will never really be measured powerwise?

Yep, that's exactly right.  If you put on a performance muffler and rejet, you won't regret it.  The whole experience is very different and the dyno just can't measure awesomeness.  

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #47 - 12/03/15 at 14:06:25

Well, I just went out and rode my Savage to get the mail. Kinda refreshing, though just slightly unnerving. The mud was really slippery and the weather chilly, and my skill going cold. I am also not in the best mood for finding myself and the bike rubber side up, lying in the mud.  Tongue Didn't crash though, in case you're wondering. Wink Took more than one click on the enrichment to crank on this chilly day.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #48 - 12/03/15 at 16:40:49

That dyno chart don't look kosher... hp/torque should always be equal at 5252 rpm...

HP = (RPM* TRQ)/5252

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #49 - 12/03/15 at 17:10:39

I plugged the numbers roughly. It doesn't seem too far off. What have you found? Somewhere around 5252 on the graph, the torque is a little under 45 Nm or 44.5 Nm, which is a little less than 33 ft lbs. The HP at that point is a little less than the max of 33 HP, so I would say it is reasonably close.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #50 - 12/03/15 at 17:29:16

Nm's threw me... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 12/03/15 at 18:41:49

Dave took the time to type out a very useful procedure in this thread for tuning the stock carb and I appreciate the effort he puts into this forum.  I cut and pasted it into a folder of useful Savage reference material that I keep on this computer.  I have a folder for each vehicle I own.  My bike runs fine but someday I might get energetic and want to tweak it a little more and Dave's short but thorough guide will be handy.

To cheapnewb I say keep on asking the questions.  Your desire to optimize your bike's performance is understandable.  Keep reading, asking, discussing and tinkering.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:02:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Harley Muffler and Exhaust Theory

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.