Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
2016 Ride Schedules and Planning Thread (Read 771 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
2016 Ride Schedules and Planning Thread
10/20/15 at 05:20:09

2016 seems to be a year for multiple group gatherings.  This is the thread for discussing and planning.  As of now the suggested gatherings include:

GATHERING IN FL. TO RIDE WITH old_rider (MAYBE BIKE WEEK)

TWISTED SISTERS RIDE IN TEXAS WITH youzguys

GATHERING IN KY AT DAVE'S HOUSE TO EXPLORE KY/OH/IN ROADS.

WAYNESVILLE AREA RIDE/BLUERIDGE PARKWAY RIDE

DRAGON CENTRAL RIDE IN AUGUST

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2016 Ride Schedules and Planning Thread
Reply #1 - 10/20/15 at 05:38:53

New Runs listing

Moderators, please feel free to reach in and edit if I miss a change in one of the planned rides or dates.

========================================

Twisted Sister Run, Texas Hill Country  Mid to Late April       (final dates not determined yet)

Sign up and discussion thread is http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1438888894/72#72

Thunder Beach Run,  Apr 27th-May1st     Location of run is Panama Beach / St. Augustine

http://thunderbeachproductions.com/rally-info/events/603-thunder-beachr-autum...

Old_Rider can bed host two people and he has Oldfeller and MM as his first takers.   Got room for lots of tent space in the yard.

Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground Run  (July 17-24)

Waynesville has a week long folk festival with multiple events -- may change some dates next year in which case we can adjust some

Dave's Farm Run, Scoot and Shoot along with 20 pound Catfish wrassling    (mid August)

Big Dog Dragon Run   (first week of October)

Bryson City does a week long historical Festival during this week including stuff like this .....

Free Concert Featuring Boogertown Gap
Date(s): Oct 03, 2015
When: 6:30 - 8:00 pm
Where: Bryson City Train Depot
Free Concert Featuring Boogertown Gap
Boogertown Gap is Ruth Barber and Keith Watson, a wife/husband duo and sometimes band. They specialize in the music that was played and sung by early pioneers and settlers of the Great Smoky Mountains and vicinity. Enjoy old Celtic ballads, fiddle tunes, American compositions, Negro spirituals, and those ever-present, unknown traditional tunes!

Next year we will get different stuff of the same kinds, but during the same time span.   First week of October has 66 high and 53 low on average for the month and decreased rainfall.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/canton/north-carolina/united-states/usnc...

=======================================

« Last Edit: 10/20/15 at 07:25:13 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/20/15 at 06:53:23

OK, I spaced the stuff out and plugged in dates when there was something going on in the area.

Big Dog goes to first part of October, which is before heavy leaf season but is when Bryson City does all their "large folk events".  Robbinsville and Fontana Village does some too, but they are "younger" smaller towns.   For those who go, we WILL be doing a late night ride down the road to nowhere and through the tunnel of No-Return to see if we can catch the bears or mebbe even the Dragon itself all curled up sleeping in its fall den.

Next, Thunder Run and Twisted Sisters are fairly close in calendar/time location.   If MM and Old-Rider are going to try to do both, consider moving the Thunder Run to some other time/occasion.   I am game for any move you may want to do.

Dave's Farm Run has a mort of things going on in Cincinnati in every month of the summer.   As do the surrounding towns.    Plus, there is catfish wrassling and MM's flat rock cookery.  And shooting, too.   And the resident turkeys are fair game according to Dave's wife, just bring you some grass seed to draw them out of the bushes.

« Last Edit: 10/20/15 at 07:56:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/20/15 at 07:23:13

Looking at it, I think we have more stuff than we can do.  

How about each of us say their favorites out of the list and  lets see how the distribution goes.

I like Thunder Run, Dave's Run and Big Dog the best.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/20/15 at 11:49:51

One of the things we might consider for the trip up to Dave(s) place, is the possibility of an overnight stay on a longer ride.  We could ride down to the Red River Gorge/Natural Bridge area, or the Mammoth Cave area and camp out for a night or find a local hotel.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/20/15 at 15:15:49

Sounds like a most excellent suggestion.

We have a long history of taking little over night trips, on some of the exploratories we did the dotted line trick and never stayed in the same place twice.  To save convenience and hauling space we stayed at cheapie hotels that we found using Kayak or Priceline.

Adjust the length of your trip accordingly to give enough time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 10/20/15 at 19:53:54

Well I know I'm doing the sisters again, we'll see about the rest
NC was pretty far over my head last time,, but the thunder run sounds interesting if I can swing it, and I ain't seen the beautiful state of Kentucky that I recall as of yet

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 10/21/15 at 09:18:18

It should go without saying ... but I'll say it anyway !   I have room for over-night-ers' on the way too and from events , in Lynchburg Tn.  The living room has 5 recliners and we have one spare bed (most of the time   Huh )
There is also all the tenting room (up to 100) , fire pit/sitting wall , and covered bike parking (up to 20) .    Bring something to throw on the grill and your favorite beverage (w/moderation)   Roll Eyes .

I'm thinking yes on :
Texas
Florida
Kentucky
Blue Ridge Parkway
Retirement life is GREAT --- go with it the first day you can.   Spair time with little money is better than lots of money with no spair time .  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 10/21/15 at 09:25:52

Hay ! ... if there was one of our members in the "Kentucky Ride" overnight ride area (Red River Gorge ) that could ride with us --- that would make it even sweeter !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 10/21/15 at 10:08:40

I think we are finally doing some real ride planning ......

We'll go see Dave's farm (and think he underestimates the fun we can have shooting and fighting catfish on ultra lite tackle --- throw in an overnight to someplace scenic and it will be quite a trip.

In 2017 we may do something similar from your end of things, who knows?

And you are right, we don't have to spend a mort of money to have a good time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/21/15 at 10:30:34

Yup, I may trailer or haul to Dave's thing so I can bring some of my toys
The catfish I'll leave to you fellas, I don't fish because I'm like a bad doctor: I have no patience

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 10/21/15 at 14:50:49

Art, I don't like to fish  ---  I like to catch.

It's all in the artistry and fish fooling (cheating) that gets the job done.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 10/22/15 at 19:04:23

If I want to catch fish I toss a stick of dynamite in the water, no foolin necessary  Grin

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #13 - 10/23/15 at 18:45:31

Well, down here its all flat roads and beach, unless you guys want to swim in the gulf for the first time, just to say you did it.

I am about 45 minutes from panama city and usually take a semi-scenic route to get there, once there, panama city beach is PACKED with bikes... and about 4 main venues to go look at stuffs.

It lasts for about four days, the fifth day vendors are usually packing up to leave and there a only a few hundred bikes Smiley

Still it is something to see and do for a couple days... april might be chilly for dippin' yer toes, but if your from up north 60 degrees sounds great Smiley

In all my time down here (off and on for about 25yrs), I've never really looked for historical or entertaining things to do as the beach, bar and seafood thing pretty much keeps everyone busy... and I like to shoot pool and throw darts and have been active in those leagues for a LONG time.

There is parasailing, deep sea fishing, dolphin cruises, and in fort Walton there is an indian mound museum (drive by it all the time, have never stopped in), and SEAFOOD... TONS of it. (I don't like seafood, but can stand to watch folks eat it while I munch on my steak or burger).

Most things down here are tourist trap things....which mean moola'... the beaches are free, the gulf is beautiful and the traffic is horrible during spring break and mid summer Smiley

Like I have said.... do a "google" of the area and i'll go check out what folks think would be interesting to see or do Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 10/23/15 at 19:44:17

If anyone needs a free overnight camp spot in route, feel free. The 5' flathead catfish in our pond is fair game, as are the channel cats. Coyote and feral hog open year round, no limits. Plenty of Osage orange trees in need of eradication for bowyers.

Can tent host pretty much unlimited numbers.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 23:20:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2016 Ride Schedules and Planning Thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.