Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Microsoft Windows 10 (the ongoing saga) (Read 3548 times)
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 (the ongoing saga)
Reply #120 - 10/21/15 at 05:39:21

I just installed Linux Mint a few days ago alongside Windows. There are still 2 or 3 programs I need that I can't get to work in Linux so I can't get rid of Windows till I retire. Enjoying the learning curve so far.

When shutting down Windows to switch to Linux I've been holding the Shift key while clicking Turn Off. I know it shuts down different, hopefully enough that Windows can't do anything in that state. Think it helps?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #121 - 10/21/15 at 05:57:34

Drestakil,

I don't know if ANY form of shutdown stops MS any more.  When you dual boot you give MS control of the root (boot) partition and they DO things to it that makes MS "live" and downloading and torrenting at all times even when you are running Linux or Steam.

You let MS on your machine and they really do try to own it ....

If you are data capped in any fashion, look to your bills to see uncontrolled MS "torrent" activity showing up there.

Use Linux to look at your Linux partition and you will find large chunks of MS stuff showing up there shortly in hidden folders.

"MS loves Linux" and has learned how to invade and hide inside a Linux set up.   The only set up that EXCLUDES MS is a pure 100% Linux machine on a raped and scraped hard drive and I am no longer sure they cannot figure a way to worm into that through a MS company software that you choose to install in Linux.

For example, if you use SKYPE on Linux --- surprise, lookie what you find on your linux partition now as hidden folders -- the full .NET enchilada.

You could state it this way.   "Microsoft loves Linux" because it is free and open and can be manipulated with hidden folders and such pretty much "freely".

Blow your mind time, Linus doesn't care if they do that, up until the point they actually use some lines of Linux code inside some MS programs in which case the FOSS license kicks in and that particular entire MS program structure becomes FOSS and MS loses it all to open source ......

This has happened once in one MS server software and indeed FOSS sued and took them over and the program became open source.   Wasn't very good software and didn't get used for much, but a few folks got some benefit out of it.

MS has been very careful since then.   MS can use Linux programs (kept whole and separate) just like anybody can. But if they get caught taking Linux code and incorporating it inside their software, well, it is sorta like injecting yourself with cancer cells -- it takes you over and you become the cancer.

Poor MS, life is so hard when everybody sorta cordially hates you for what your rapacious founder did in years past ...... and they all cooperate with each other, too, which makes it even worse.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #122 - 10/21/15 at 08:42:00

so at this point in order to go Mint I'd have to find my disc (I think it got packed and put in storage) go to a dual boot, learn Mint, get it to work right, and then have my hard drive raped and scraped, and then nevr use MS anything ever again
Oy
I wonder if my 'mobile hot spot' on my Phone (4GLTE) would be sufficient to do the setup on the Acer chromebook (con ONLY be set up with wifi, though after that can use a wired connection)
And then I get to eat the $300 I spent on this machine

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #123 - 10/21/15 at 08:45:24

http://fortune.com/2015/07/28/intel-micron-memory/

http://liliputing.com/2015/10/western-digital-to-acquire-sandisk-for-19-billi...

https://www.sandisk.com/about/media-center/press-releases/2015/sandisk-and-hp...

I mentioned that Sandisk and Hp and Sandisk and Toshiba were teaming together to bring out 1 terabyte NON-VOLATILE flash memory drives that are a thousand times faster than flash memory sticks or hard drives, and that this would spell the end of hard drive companies.

Western Digital decided it didn't want to die just now, so they have announced a plan to BUY Sandisk outright for 19 billion dollars.

I look to see other hard drive companies and PC builders either try to buy Sandisk outright themselves or to try to make a consortium out of the purchase/consolidation as the new "memristor" memory tech is COMPELLINGLY better than old memory or old hard drive or old flash drive techs.

We are talking systems memory speeds that are non-volatile and that can affordably scale up to a terabyte very easily.

Think of a PC or a phone with a terabyte of systems memory ......

..... game changer, huh?

Remember please that Intel and Micron are also teamed together to see if they can ring the bell first.   And that HP and Sandisk are teamed as well, as are Sandisk and Toshiba.  

Lots of money is available to build that first plant and get them pending patents actualized.  

Why is Intel trying to create a similar thing with Micron?   Well, both feel sorta left out right now, and very very threatened by the pending changes.

Lastly for Intel and for Microsoft to sweat over is this little nugget ......

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/533066/hp-will-release-a-revolutionary-n...

Yup, a HP operating system that actually uses the copious amounts of new memory in an intelligent fashion.    Only a supercomputer type Linux has ever had or has actually ever used this level of FAST memory before.

The new "memristor" memory is just that vital and compelling to the computing industry and it will cause massive disruption very quickly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #124 - 10/21/15 at 09:01:35

Art, please don't take this the wrong way ......

(jeeeze I hate saying that, because they always do take it the wrong way)

Considering your technical base knowledge (and the fact that all you understand is Windows and Windows related) you might be better served to just continue to use your Windows machine and gracefully let MS "own" you and hope they use you gently out into the future.

Even full time computer article writers who are VERY knowledgeable are saying they are getting tired of fighting with MS.

And the journalist guys have computing alternatives on hand, like Chromebooks and Macs and Linux machines that they already have set up and thoroughly understand.  

You don't.   You just have a Windows machine that is going to be rolled to Win 10 soon enough whether you want it to or not.

============================

For all the locked in Windows people like Art the only advice I have is FIND YOUR WINDOWS REGISTRATION KEY FOR YOUR OLD "upgradable" WINDOWS VERSION AND DO NOT LOSE TRACK OF IT -- because it is your path to reinstall Win 10 on a clean install if MS makes a mess out of your automatic upgrade that is coming for you whether you want it to or not.

For the more technical hobby types who have a spare old machine laying around that is Vista, or XP or older, yes, play around some with a Linux like Linux Mint 17.2 Mate that does NOT require you to do things beyond what an XP person would understand.  

Remember, the new supercomputer PCs likely will have an HP OS available, and a MS OS available, and a Linux variant or two -- all of them running like scalded dawgs on 100's of gigabytes of system fast memristor memory.  

New I/O ports will be needed, as your new memristor thumb drive can run at these speeds too.

« Last Edit: 10/23/15 at 03:58:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #125 - 10/21/15 at 09:22:53

OF, i'm thinking the versions of MS before windows7 won't be affected, they just won't let you use the key to go to Win10.
This I know for fact now, you can upgrade windows 7, windows 8 and 8.1, but anything before that will most likely not be able to run the new windows 10.
I was one of the insiders and got to play with the "upgrade" on the little laptop (2Ghz CPU and 4 meg RAM). I was not "guaranteed" to keep my version if my laptop dumped (bouncing around in the back of my wife's bike fried the HD), which did happen and I had to reload my copy of Vista home.
My son upgraded to Win 10 with a bootleg copy of windows 7 (don't know where he got it) and tried to go back to the copy of win 7 when he was dissatisfied with win 10, it would not let him.
He had to have his "key", he called me, I gave him some old keys (legal ones I had purchased) from past discs (XP and Vista keys).... when he tried, the error was "you must have a windows 7 or higher version key".
So i'm thinking MS is just going to stop supporting anything older than windows 7, and let them fall between the cracks, and suggest you buy a newer system.
I still find it unbelievable that MS is dumping any kind of support for systems they are "liable" for. Legally they are still responsible for your systems if they are the proprietary owners of the software, and that is why I thought that was the reason behind the "free windows 10 upgrade", so that they could nullify all those old systems. It has to be in the legal speak somewhere in the software contracts that if the system can no longer handle "upgrades" they (MS) are not liable.
After all, they can't put a Lotus carb on your Smart car.....so to speak.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #126 - 10/21/15 at 10:24:12

Well OF my Mate disc is 16, so supposedly simple, but really the PC is sort of clunky for a guy living in a 16x8 travel trailer, I'm contemplating a tablet in the future, and go all Android all the time, or a chromebook
Actually I had the thought that a tablet with speaker and mic might double as a Phone (sort of bulky but not terrible) and computer
Something like a galaxy note, and put the SIM card from my phone in it lol
Or something like the phone you posted, that can simply be docked into a larger screen with a keyboard and maybe a mouse
Currently I have the AsUS ZenFone 2E and I'm running my PC off it's data via USB tethering (yes, I asked LOTS o questions at the ATT store) as only ATT works well in my new home and there is no DSL available here that I have yet found
And no I am not the least offended by your post
My problem with staying with MS is the way they plan on charging for use in the future
although honestly they've been charging fo use all along with all the 'new version' buys

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #127 - 10/21/15 at 22:54:09

Art, its all about "DATA"... how much you use through your phone can up your costs.

With my Verizon phone, I can watch football games live... but one game can take up my whole 3 gigs worth of data for the month.

Linux can run faster than windows via tethering.... and actually uses your windows settings to connect. I put mint 15 on an old PC here and used a dual boot setup (the Linux setup asked if I wanted to load it alongside windows) (don't let Linux delete windows or replace it).

You can stick the mint 16 disk in your drive and hit the escape key, and tell it to "boot to cd rom", and just run Linux from the cd rom itself, and it will not even install on your PC, it will use your windows net settings to log onto the internet.

I am not sure how it will handle tethering as I've never had to deal with that (but have read it does nicely), but still, just run Linux off of your cd to see how you like it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #128 - 10/22/15 at 09:46:09

For what it is worth, the last three Win 10 mobile updates have been Lumina only (MS products only) updates.

Microsoft seems to be settling in on being a proprietary platform again, thinking that Win 10 mobile is able to "carry them forward" as a exclusive platform.

So, all the "mobile openness" that was promised early on currently ISN'T and doesn't seem to be fated to be going on out in the future, unless MS realizes they aren't selling well as an exclusive platform and goes back to working closely with other vendors as a non-exclusive platform.

To the best of my knowledge, the broken BLU and HTC Beta tester phones remain broken -- but since MS is being so closed mouth about the whole affair they may have put out a fix and told no one about it but the poor sods involved.

MS is still telling everyone not running a short list of Lumina phones to IMMEDIATELY DE-LIST from the Beta program and stay gone until notified otherwise.

=============================

ON THE PC FRONT ---  Threshold 2 will be out by Thanksgiving and will be pushed out first to all the existing "good working" Win 10 users <~30%> who will be the beta test group for the changes included in the T-2 release.  

PR on new stuff is being carefully controlled by MS so the results will seem "uniformly good" in the press.

Troubled users will get to pick it up later on (yeah, right).

2016 will have at least 2 major releases in it (Redstone releases) where the rest of all the advertised stuff will be put out in the same sort of carefully metered and controlled manner.

TROUBLED USERS will be force led to a full re-install re-set of the software which may involve a DVD and using your key from your old Windows software.

Part of this is some hand spanking for users who dared to disagree with MS's decisions about what goes where in your machine.   You will be getting trained to NOT MESS WITH IT, as pain and suffering goes with along with messing with it.

« Last Edit: 10/23/15 at 09:24:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #129 - 10/22/15 at 13:21:16

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/606243/Windows-10-Micr...

Just read it. --  Satya couldn't get Cortana (after three tries no less) to work correctly during a televised presentation and he stopped trying and gave up on it, rolling on with his slides and presentation spiel.

« Last Edit: 10/23/15 at 09:42:24 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #130 - 10/22/15 at 19:36:57

old_rider wrote on 10/21/15 at 22:54:09:
Art, its all about "DATA"... how much you use through your phone can up your costs.

With my Verizon phone, I can watch football games live... but one game can take up my whole 3 gigs worth of data for the month.

Linux can run faster than windows via tethering.... and actually uses your windows settings to connect. I put mint 15 on an old PC here and used a dual boot setup (the Linux setup asked if I wanted to load it alongside windows) (don't let Linux delete windows or replace it).

You can stick the mint 16 disk in your drive and hit the escape key, and tell it to "boot to cd rom", and just run Linux from the cd rom itself, and it will not even install on your PC, it will use your windows net settings to log onto the internet.

I am not sure how it will handle tethering as I've never had to deal with that (but have read it does nicely), but still, just run Linux off of your cd to see how you like it.

If I can locate my disc, I'll try it
I have 4 gigs high speed, then I drop to (I think) 2G, too slow to run a PC, but fast enough to interweb on the phone (maybe on a tablet, too)
I think my Mint 16 disc will be fairly easy to find, IIRC it's not buried too deep in the storage roon
It will use less data, yes?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #131 - 10/23/15 at 03:22:20

Trusted Reviews is starting a multi-part review on Windows 10 ..... I think they have bitten off more than they can chew with that 8 of 10 rating that they initially gave to Windows 10 ......

http://www.trustedreviews.com/windows-10-review-stability-performance-and-ver...

What is interesting here is the heavy stream of user comments listed immediately below the "Trusted Review" page -- these Trusted Review contributors are being MERCILESS and very accurate in what they say about their own experiences and they want to know how THEY as a group ever managed to give Win 10 "an 8 out of 10 rating" by analyzing their feedback.

This goes along with the Pollyanna effect that MS always seems to seek out of its paid reviewers -- you will only hear the good stuff, until you read the comments down at the bottom that is.

« Last Edit: 10/23/15 at 09:43:04 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #132 - 10/23/15 at 03:41:26

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_7?url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field...

Amazon is a place where purchaser comments FROM REAL ACTUAL AMAZON PURCHASERS get automatically tallied and shown to help folks to decide what is safe to buy.   We all know how this system works and we all know how to use it.   Being automatic, Microsoft can't influence it like they apparently can a review site like Trusted Reviews.

So, go look at Windows 10 on Amazon and decide Amazon style if you would want to buy it ..... at 2 1/2 to 3 stars  (it moves some from day to day)

Tongue   then read the reviews themselves ......  and please remember this is identical to the rape and scrape DVD install using your old registration key that Microsoft now uses to fix all them troubled screwed up Win 10 automatic upgraded installations.

Scary, ain't it?      Roll Eyes  

I mean normally would you buy anything that had only three stars and that high a level of strong customer complaints (close to 50% when you add 1 stars and 2 stars together) ????    

And these people PAID REAL MONEY for it too.

Go down the page to Windows 7 and see what the customer rating is on that version.  

Hmmmmm ???    Think you might want to stall on that upgrade for as LONG AS YOU CAN?

« Last Edit: 10/23/15 at 09:23:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #133 - 10/23/15 at 09:30:17

Some feedback from Nvidia and AMD and several other card vendors -- they are slow to say they have anything other than a "preliminary Win 10 driver" because Win 10 keeps moving around and scooting out from under them.    

Or, saying this way, the driver that worked fine last week doesn't work this week because MS changed something.

So, it is Catch 22 all the way -- you can' get a good Win 10 experience because the drivers aren't stable and you can't get a stable driver because Win 10 keeps moving around all the time.

And nobody is going to go back in time 6-8 years to work their older stuff and waste their effort writing a driver until Win 10 is done changing (goes through its 3 planned major revisions).

Satya's plump baby boy has a built in stability Catch 22, looks like.   And this is scheduled to last beyond the free upgrade time frame.    

People are getting fatigued dealing with Win 10's erratic nature.

Huh

HP threatening to come out with a Linux based "Memristor OS" is a very viable threat right now, especially if Gabe at Steam and Linus himself make strong commitments to support it completely.  

Gobs of lightning fast memristor memory will change computing in very large ways, especially if the OS can actually handle that much systems style memory to make a lickety split fast STABLE user experience when playing the most modern games.

Wink       ...... he who controls gaming has much to say about what goes on,  right?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #134 - 10/23/15 at 19:31:42

I am being told (by gaming programmers) that AMD is loosing the race chip wise.
You can stack them 8 deep, but they still won't perform as well as an intel quad 4.  Something or other about quantum chiping.... or some such.
I was going to build an AMD 8 core system, but am being told by those in the game building business, to just purchase a high level quad four intel chip.
I found out recently (using my task manager tabs), that my 2.5 AMD chip does not ever run at 2.5, unless it is not being taxed...and it always is. The 2.5Ghz is what it runs at MAX.... and if its being bombarded by four or five processes it will usually run at 1.5 to 1.8Ghz, NOT EVEN 2Ghz!
However... my large laptop is still running windows 10, and yes, I am finding issues. It runs super great when not being bombarded by security scans, or back round updates.
My hard drive when I boot up is 100% busy, not my cpu, or memory, just the hard drive.
I have reverted to using IE 11, because edge seems to do the security thing more than 11 does, and I don't get as many slow downs with 11.
ASUS still doesn't have drivers to fix the windows hotkeys.... I never use them anyway, but I imagine if folks do use them it would be driving them nutzz.
I am still happy with ten and will keep using it, because it WILL improve and its really easy to use Smiley

Never know... i'm playing with Linux again on the little laptop, so I can get to know BOTH styles, much like OF is doing with his stuff and his wife's stuff.

Can you imagine if they actually get together and use one overall OS? Can you even fathom the progress that they could make? Someone smack me! I am dreamin' again! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 14:19:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Microsoft Windows 10 (the ongoing saga)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.