Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Microsoft Windows 10 (the ongoing saga) (Read 3548 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 (the ongoing saga)
Reply #90 - 10/10/15 at 11:26:44

This computer illiterate hasn't had any known updates for Win 7  for a couple of weeks, but then I don't computer game. Little white icon is still there. It got bigger once but I turned it off.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #91 - 10/12/15 at 06:56:25

My rate of update was high because I was making up for YEARS of updates ---- I am finally current and the only thing getting updated now is MS's in-house antivirus program.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #92 - 10/12/15 at 07:49:55

Well, neither of the two old PC's in the garage can handle the new "windows downloader" even though they have XP home edition.

So I guess MS has given me the "by-pass" on the win10 offer and is just going to let these "unsupported" PC's go unsupported until companies just update their browsers with more "advanced features" and soon (probably this year) they will no longer be able to even look at a page without locking up or having page errors.

Definitely going to reload the security camera software on one or the other and just leave it run in the garage in a corner some where.
And i'll just box up the other and give it to goodwill or something...

This experiment was fun, but now I need the space back in my garage for home projects Smiley I really need to finish my "hardware" storage project for my $99 dollar (you put it together) pressed wood Armoire....
HEY! it was cheaper than their tool cabinets.... I just installed some extra shelving in it.... Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #93 - 10/13/15 at 19:34:27

http://liliputing.com/2015/10/acer-jade-primo-smartphone-will-ship-with-mouse...

Acer Jade Primo smartphone will ship with mouse, keyboard, and PC dock

"The Acer Jade Primo is expected to be one of the first smartphones to support Windows 10’s Continuum feature, allowing you to turn your phone into a sort of desktop by connecting it to a docking station and hooking up a keyboard, mouse and display.

Acer made that announcement when the company introduced the phone in September. This week Acer confirmed that not only does the phone support Continuum, it’ll come with all the hardware you need to get started… except for a monitor."

Now the laptop vendors are selling Phone/PCs and Microsoft has two that are promised as well.   Monkey on the back now shifts to the Android and Apple folks to reply, and 3 small android players already have replied, some months ago.

Google now needs to put the feature set into a standard release flavor of Android and STANDARDIZE the interface and connection hardware so all the android phone guys can do the exact same thing in the exact same way.

Apple needs to come out of the closet and play too, or they are simply going to get left behind yet again.

So, Microsoft seems to want to get them a few kudos for trying to lead again -- been a while, ain't it?

Please remember the idea was invented by the Ubuntu folks and the Oriental Android guys (three of them) had it working and SHIPPING before MS ever got theirs to work.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #94 - 10/13/15 at 19:36:48

Had another 35000 plus updates for win 7 today

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #95 - 10/13/15 at 19:46:29

I got just one update, a MS anti-virus definition update file.

=====================

http://liliputing.com/2015/10/cloudready-uses-chrome-os-to-breaths-live-into-...

Cloudready uses Chromium OS to breathe life into old computers

Neverware has created a software program that turns any old computer into a Chromebook or Chromebox. All it takes is a USB flash drive and a few minutes to load the company’s Cloudready software onto a computer.

The company worked with Google to develop Cloudready, and it’s a cloud-based operating system based on Chromium OS, which is the open source version of the software that runs on Chromebooks.

Since everything runs online, via a web browser, the operating system puts less strain on the computer’s hardware, which helps it run faster and more efficient.

Neverwhere claims that Cloudready can make any computer that is less than eight years old run like new again.

The program is built with schools in mind, although there is a version for individuals. Schools, however, can take advantage of additional tech support and automatic updates through their existing Chromebook channel.

Old_Rider, the old stuff you just ID'd that couldn't boot / run Windows or couldn't make the update to a more modern windows --- take one of them and give this johnny a try for the shits and giggles of it.

On the pretty well proven theory that you actually can run off the cloud now days, this should prove to be a interesting move on Google's part to completely unify a school system under ChromeOS, converting all the old Windows this and that that is cruffing around the edges in the school system.

The world of Linux Distros has all the old windows boxes pretty much covered for drivers, etc.  so combine that driver coverage with the light fast (no big resources required) nature of Chromium OS and Google/Neverware may actually have something here.

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #96 - 10/14/15 at 18:11:03

Sounds to me like "trap wear"..... stores all your information online... you basically just have a browser....

So it traps all your information so they can use it for "information" purposes.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #97 - 10/14/15 at 20:50:27

Google has done well by the Chromebook crew, they really don't voice any complaints about how their data is treated.   Nor do the actual Google users have any heartache about how their data being used by Google.

Look, I know Google is all over my phone data stuff, but it is worth it to boot up a new partition, toss a random OS on it and load Google Plus for that OS  and get that opening screen, type in ID and password and BAMMO -- all my stuff is there, correctly configured exactly the way I like it.

Take a pic with my phone and in 2 seconds it's available on all my screens.  THAT is convenience .....

On Android phones (various candy flavors over the last 4 years)

On iPad 2 (iOS 4 through 8 no less)

On XP, Vista, Win 7 and Win 10

Microsoft will EVENTUALLY finally figure out how to be a Google, once they get stuff that just works and then figure out how to let it go and then let it GROW organically along approved pathways once it is outside their control.

Microsoft and Google will serve to keep each other honest (mostly) and their one upping each other means more progress done faster.

Microsoft will lose in the end because they cannot "turn it loose and let it grow" organically, and Google can do that and HAS done that for years now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #98 - 10/16/15 at 05:43:04

We done told you this bullshite was coming .....

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/10/windows-10-upgrade-inst...

This latest system update has already generated some complaints, as Windows Update will download the sizeable operating system installer even if you don't intend to upgrade any time soon, but, over the last couple of days, the situation seems to have become a little more aggressive. We've received a number of reports that people's systems are not merely downloading the installer but are actually starting it up.

This is an optional update, but we didn't check that box...
Our own testing shows that, yes, the optional update is getting chosen by default, and that's not supposed to happen to optional updates.

For those not wanting to make the switch to Windows 10 just yet, all is not lost; the installer does require human intervention to actually proceed, so you won't run the risk of waking up to find your PC running a different operating system. If you're not paying attention, though, you may find yourself upgrading sooner than you expected.

Microsoft backpeddled on this issue the next day, and sent Ed Bott out to "explain" their increased tightening of the screws on people who are stalling on Win 10.

Win 10 has an image issue because MICROSOFT has a very old tarnished image with many people.

Doing stupid tricks like this is why.

And sending Ed Bott out "to explain things" once you already got your bleeding ugly stubbed toe is just pure cowardice on MS part.  

But what Ed the hand puppet says is interesting, MS is increasing the pressure on users to upgrade by "encouraging them" in various ways, including bugging the crap out of them with pop up notes.   It is implied by Ed that this encouragement will escalate over time.

THRESHOLD 2 is coming in early November, and MS is far far behind where they planned to be and their upgrade issues with customers is why.  

Win 10 is just now approaching the place it should have been at as originally shipped  --- as BETA software ---- not as fully finished software.   Win 10 is not nearly feature complete at this point in time, much less being polished in any fashion whatsoever.

« Last Edit: 10/16/15 at 08:27:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #99 - 10/16/15 at 08:14:52

http://liliputing.com/2015/10/dell-hp-lenovo-intel-and-microsoft-launch-pc-do...

A group of PC makers are partnering with Microsoft and Intel to convince you that it’s time to buy a new computer. While it’s not unusual for Intel and Microsoft to work together to highlight the latest chips or operating systems, what is unusual is for competing PC makers to partner in this way.

But with PC sales stagnating, maybe it shouldn’t be surprising to see Dell, HP, and Lenovo band together to try to convince you that PCs are still exciting.

As user resistance to their forced upgrade tricks increases, MS is also now finding NO ONE IS BUYING THEIR OVERLY EXPENSIVE NEW WIN 10 PCS.

In an attempt to correct this horrible momentum killing issue, MS is offering $200-$300 trade in your old PC or Mac programs along with a concerted push by all their main PC vendors.

If you thought there was free competition in MS space, this should disabuse you of those foolish foolish thoughts -- all the PC boys are sitting there in a row, each saying his little piece as MS calls the general tune.

"Buy something, please buy something".

Intel was there too, selling a NUC for $250 with memory and storage and Win 10 already in place.

It's Christmas, buy something ---- please ???

Tongue     ..... come on, our OS is almost finished, so go buy you an overpriced new PC using our almost finished OS, OK ????

« Last Edit: 10/16/15 at 10:03:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #100 - 10/16/15 at 08:45:01

So, now MS has geeked completely on the "we tell you when" upgrade thing, and will (for a short time) allow you to download a Win 10 ISO image and hard install it on a scraped clean hard drive using your old Windows activation key from any approved previous OS version.

Part of this is due to MS's inability to auto-fix some of the screwed up installations out there where MS and the actual user hosed some stuff up fighting over who controlled what on the end users' machine.

Meanwhile, the Chinese are still working on their XP class machines, getting the old antique driver mass and such all squared away and ready to go for Win 10.

Life goes on everywhere, however, and more and more people are realizing that MS isn't the only (or even the best) way to get on line and get their various stuff done.

AND YES, THE NEW PC/PHONES ARE ROLLING OUT NOW, WITH NEW ONES COMING OUT WEEKLY FROM ALL VENDORS.

Most announcements are running Win 10, but some are coming out Android ..... and the resulting pressure on Google to incorporate all the Android windowing and multiple display tricks officially into a unified mainstream Android release are mounting and mounting and mounting.

Oriental Android versions aren't waiting on Google, they are rolling ahead in native language releases intended to be sold inside their own boarders.

« Last Edit: 10/16/15 at 10:01:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #101 - 10/18/15 at 01:22:07

OF, I suppose you know all about MS offering rebates for people who buy new Win 10 machines, and bigger ones if they trade Mac products, these rebates are available in big markets like the US, not down here in Godzone.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #102 - 10/18/15 at 05:16:50

Well, since I was a beta for win10 I already have one windows10.iso install disc. I believe it was build number 285 or some such.
My little 14" acer laptop hard drive went to poop on the return drive from our last outing in simple life.
I ordered another one on ebay for a whoppin' $25,and its a one screw, remove a door, unplug and do the reverse, to change it out.
But maybe i'll just reload it with the windows 8 it came with and watch the "magic" of win10 do its stuff Smiley
Oh, by the by, my wife's 17" HP Pavilion still has 8.1 and has not been forced to windows 10... (auto downloads are shut off).

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #103 - 10/18/15 at 06:56:01

Threshold 2 is coming in November, and for those who intend to hard install I would wait for that as it includes new features and "complete fixes" for existing issues  (yeah, right).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #104 - 10/18/15 at 07:15:29

JC, I read about the $200 and $300 and consider it admitting that Windows 10 machines are being intentionally over priced by more than that.

It is common to see $1000 plus dollar Surface units get introduced and then sit in inventory for most of a year or two before actually moving out at less than 1/4 of that price.

Microsoft wants to sell stuff at Apple prices, but cannot.

What you should do with an old trade in machine (electronically sound) is put a Linux or a Chrome on it and use it.    You will find the old hardware is amazingly fast and reliable, once you get away from the Windows OS products.

If most of what you do is in a browser anyway -- yes you can run ChromeOS as your main tool.

If you have fears of the unknown, dual boot a Linux -- I too did this for years before giving up on Windows completely.

Now if I can get Google Chrome to run on it, it doesn't MATTER to me what the base OS is any more.

I freely NOW use Linux and Apple iOS and three different generations of Windows and I DON"T CARE ANY MORE AS CHROME IS CHROME IS CHROME.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 16:14:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Microsoft Windows 10 (the ongoing saga)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.