Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Microsoft Windows 10 (the ongoing saga) (Read 3548 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 (the ongoing saga)
Reply #135 - 10/24/15 at 01:32:26

No, MS will always try to run its own path and try to own the dirt and the grass and your machine all at the same time.

However, computing is getting better all the time when talked about as a "general thing".   Copious amounts of very fast memristor memory will make computing "go much faster" even when using today's processors.   Computers are getting smaller and more powerful and FASTER all at the same time, just like they always have.

Google keeps getting better and Apple keeps getting better and MS keeps copying good things they see in Apple and in Google -- it has always has been that way it seems.

=======================================

Remember Crysis, the game you wanted to play but you did not have near enough computer nor near enough video card to run?

It was on $4.99 super sale on steam, so I bought a copy of it (and a copy of Far Cry 3 for $6.99) and now I am going to load them and see if it will run on my 9 year dual core old big Dell Box using my second from the bottom AMD cheapie video card.    

So, what has changed to make this even theoretically possible?

STEAM.   Gabe and Linux have broken up the Microsoft/NVIDIA control of PC gaming and now you HAVE to work to with Gabe's standards which are "reasonable standards".    Gabe's boys actually work with the card makers to write their own STEAM video drivers for all the video cards which ARE CURRENT ALL THE TIME as they load at the same time the game does.

I will report soon on how well the "impossible" game runs now, under STEAM ..... on my < $100 gaming rig.

==============================

Crysis had to load an older generation of everything, but it ran and ran well.   Now-a-days it isn't even a noticeably big game any more.

Far Cry 3 IS a BIG GAME which loaded and ran, but then got ill over one of it's dependent copy protections and said my password was invalid and I had multiple instances of the copy protection running at the same time.  

I wasn't very far along so I just uninstalled it for later when I am not running Crysis at the same time.  

Crysis and Far Cry used to be the actual same folks, but they split up and got all funky with each other over a bunch of nicky shite.   Now they sometimes have issues messing up each others installations because the bits and pieces are the same (or very similar anyway).

« Last Edit: 10/24/15 at 16:11:18 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #136 - 10/24/15 at 13:40:33

I loaded steam on the laptop and three games

Descent Underground.... won't run it hardly at all.. because it is only a 2Ghz chip

7 days to die.... haven't tried to play it yet, played it for about a week on my HP laptop... a lot of keyboard playing (I don't like keyboard playing, i'm more of a point and click / joystick type)

Rust.... after 1/2 hour trying to load all the map sets... I gave up on it, I thought it was because I had not reset my laptop, but even after resetting the laptop I still could not get it to run... is that a Linux thing? I will have to look into it.
I played Rust on the HP also...it has a lot of keyboard stuff, but less than 7DTD.... and it is (or was) a basic survival type game/w some PVP (player vrs player) action on some servers.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #137 - 10/25/15 at 09:16:26

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/deceptive-simplicity-intels-new-memory-tech/

Micron and Intel's entry into the "memristor" sweepstakes isn't a memristor type at all, it is a "3D X Point" type of memory.

Read the article and realize they haven't told us how it is going to work completely just yet, although they will say it is MUCH faster and much denser than existing memory types.

I can see why a new machine will be needed to use this tech as it is true nano tech as expressed on wafers instead of the bulky gross transistor tech as is used today.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #138 - 10/26/15 at 12:55:43

Wow... ran across an interesting article about a "mini" computer (The Kangaroo) that uses windows 10 home edition. Its the size of a cell phone and has two usb ports, an hdmi port and a power port, it also has Bluetooth capability.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/meet-kangaroo-99-windows-10-desktop-pc-small-120...

Oh...and it is only $99  Shocked

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #139 - 10/26/15 at 22:10:00

Yup, and it has a four hour battery too.

http://liliputing.com/2015/10/kangaroo-pocket-sized-desktop-computer-now-sale...

The phone PC gets closer and closer and closer to being here  ......

....... OK .......     it's here, but it can't make phone calls?

??????      Huh     ???????

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #140 - 10/27/15 at 15:24:20

According to the person at my AT&T store, if I get a tablet and stick my SIM card in it, it can act as a phone (once I download a Phone APP, so really the phone computer been here
It's just a rilly big phone  Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #141 - 10/27/15 at 15:50:06

http://liliputing.com/2015/10/is-google-developing-its-own-chips.html

Google is hiring chip designers.   Not talking about it, doing it.

So much that is VERY BASIC about computing is going to change soon, such basic level changes that HP and Lenovo and the other major players are going to need to go "silicone out" to make their devices work optimally.   Apple does this, as does IBM ---- it is a way to get exactly what you want out of silicone and hardware and software.

Google has historically been out there in front with a released to FOSS guiding solution that has been commandingly good, good enough to guide an industry.  They have done this trick 3 times now and are working on a 4th and 5th as we speak.

The Internet of Things is going to take off in the next year, and the computing part of it needs to keep pace with the "software vision" driving the user's experience.

"According to Business Insider, the job would be in the same department of Google that’s responsible for Pixel devices, which suggests that Google might be planning to build its own custom processors for upcoming tablets, notebooks, or other consumer devices."

Change, she comes ........

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 10/27/15 at 21:26:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #142 - 10/27/15 at 16:00:28

http://liliputing.com/2015/10/play-tetris-credit-card-size-gaming-device.html    

yeah, you remember stuffing all them quarters into the arcade machines

"The Tetris MicroCard is a tiny gaming device that’s the size of a small stack of credit cards. Despite its compact profile, the Testris MicroCard has an actual D-pad and action buttons.

Although it comes outfitted with an officially licensed version of Tetris, the tiny console is fully programmable with Arduino.

The Tetris MicroCard is available for preorder now from the company’s website for $49, which might seem a bit steep, but remember that Tetris is officially licensed and the tiny console is programmable for additional games. Estimated shipping is sometime in the first quarter of 2016."

If these things take off, think stocking stuffer for kids.

Apple is building 10nm chipsets and they will roll out from Samsung and others next year.  Then the 7nm non-silicon (supposedly much faster) generations of chipsets will roll out in the next 3 years.

New memory (faster non-volatile) will change things up too in the same time frame.   Stretch your mind a bit and think of Google Glasses with prescription lenses sitting on your face and you simply carry your computer with you all the time.

Wink

« Last Edit: 10/28/15 at 10:04:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #143 - 10/28/15 at 09:33:36

http://liliputing.com/2015/10/google-launches-android-based-brillo-os-for-int...

Google comes out with documented IoT OS and Wireless Communications standards -- the Brillo and Weave documented open FOSS standards for operating system and wireless communications

What does this mean?   Well, it is Android based, so it talks to phones already and it has potential to become a general "use for all things out there" OS system as it is scalable, open and free.

Watch this for a light background coverage   https://youtu.be/2rPkbyyviGI

This is likely one part with Google's recent hiring of full bore chipset designers, as all current ARM chipsets do phones just fine but lack a lot of experience with IoT little nicky stuff covered by these two new open standards.   Chipsets (phone and otherwise) will have to change some to accommodate the IoT items scattered around your house.

Of course, ARM can incorporate whatever Google designs into their designs if it is good stuff, because that's how Google works.   Google believes in "Turn it loose and let it grow".

Being able to work with all the small IoT stuff around your house will be very important to you going on out into the future.  

Intel and MS likes to lock all their stuff down and charge megabucks for it which isn't going to be the way into the future, I do not think.

"Organic Android derivatives" are currently larger than any other computing platform out there right now and the tool box for this is just getting better and better.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #144 - 10/28/15 at 21:51:26

Well, here is my big beef with the cell phone companies...

1. Making a phone with no removable battery (to totally shut the phone off)
2. Making a phone with no removable memory (for upgrade) flash memory only goes so high, mine is at 16gig, so 32 gig total.
3. Making the phone only usable with THIER system.
4. Not making a 10" or larger tablet with phone capability.

I argued with a rep at Verizon (well, a HEAVY discussion) about tablet with phone capability and she stated "It wouldn't be a big money maker, so they won't make one".
She then says "you know you can link your phone with your tablet and use it that way right?"
To which I replied "I'm 56 years old (she was about 27), my vision is getting worse, my hearing is getting worse, and I can't remember where I put ONE device let alone THREE of them (cell phone, Bluetooth ear piece, and the tablet)!
Then she says "Maybe one of those smaller Chinese companies will make one since the big 3 won't be doing that."
And then I stated, " I am of the BABY BOOMER group of folks, if I think it would sell, don't you think about 100 million others might think so? or at least 60 million of us?  I guess that Chinese company will be taking in some big money!"
I then asked her if she had heard of the google glass, she said she had, but they were beyond her monetary reach. I told her I bought one and use it regularly, and I could afford it, and if Verizon would come out with a tablet capable of phone use, I would buy it tomorrow. I also told her I would not purchase another smart phone, and would keep mine until it died, so no money for Verizon or commission for her.
I told her, think about it.....maybe you could tell the company what they are missing out on.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #145 - 10/29/15 at 07:46:12

How big does your device need to be?  

My daughter and son-in-law have six inch Nexus phones ($600 phones) and they have completely stopped hauling around their tablets -- they have good enough eyes to use their phones for everything.

If I take my glasses off I can use my phone too, but only using my short distance vision which is still pretty good.

There are BIGGER  7" phones out there, with relatively large batteries to support the big screens.

http://liliputing.com/2015/10/blu-launches-a-phone-with-a-7-inch-screen-199-p...

This is a world phone so it can get support from ANY GSM CELLULAR PROVIDER.

....... and Amazon sells it for $190

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016SCZWF6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&cr...

PLEASE be aware that last year's version and the year before that are still being sold, so WATCH OUT for what you are buying !!!!   The older chipsets do not have the world radio in them and are not 4G and are not real LTE and cannot support all the stuff the current model can.

Watch your list of carriers/players .... Sprint is not on the list.

Blu offers zero support after sale --- they are throw away phones at the price they are sold at.

Amazon will sell you a warranty, which translates into a replacement phone if it dies.

« Last Edit: 10/29/15 at 09:45:41 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #146 - 10/29/15 at 18:57:57

http://www.wsj.com/articles/alphabets-google-to-fold-chrome-operating-system-...

Same info is being bounced all over the web tonight -- Google is going with Android and combining Chrome OS into it according to Wall Street Journal and other sources who are quoting Sundar Pinchar.   The first beta will be released next year (2016)  for testing with the finished product to come out in 2017.

"The Wall Street Journal just released a doozy of a report saying that Android and Chrome are merging. The venerable paper says that a unified operating system will be released in 2017, but Google will show off an early version next year.

The report says that the merger has been underway for "roughly two years," and it refers to the end result as "Android," which makes it sound like Android will play host to the merge and integrate parts of Chrome OS. The Journal says the unified OS will "run on PCs," and Chromebooks (which will now run Android) will be given a new name.

As a "browser only" OS, Chrome OS has struggled to get the app ecosystem traction that Android and Google Play have excelled at. Most of the software innovation we've seen from Google over the years has been on Android, with Chrome OS remaining "just a browser," with few major exciting features. It's been clear that Android has been the OS with all the momentum, but it's still a shock to hear that Chrome OS is going away.

A merger like this is going to bring massive changes to Android. The mobile OS is awful with a mouse (or touchpad) and keyboard, and it would need a big UI revamp to work on Chrome OS-style hardware. Android also has no scalable update solution, while Chrome OS has a controlled, seamless, silent update process. Part of the allure of Chrome OS for schools and businesses is that it's relatively bombproof, easy to manage, and easy to update."

The article writer is assuming that Google is going to follow MS's path of throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the OS itself -- instead Google may go modular and let the devices each carry whichever load they need to carry, that way they stay faster and cheaper to do for the job at hand.

Whatever Google does, it must be released into the wild just about as soon as it is debugged and running well.    

This one is going to be the quintessential battle between poorly written, huge and over-controlled  (MS Win 10) and organic fast growing FOSS with hundreds of hands in it writing away -- with how well Google does the skeleton itself saying which one will eventually win.

The people's OS vs Microsoft's OS --- this one will be interesting to watch develop.

=======================================

Clarification for the hordes of educators emailing and tweeting in about the fate of Chrome OS on Chromebooks --- it isn't going to change beyond getting additional functionality over time.   Their investment in hardware and software is totally sound rolling on out into the future.

This gives a bit of boost to my idea that Google may "modularize" the new OS instead of going the kitchen sink approach (a la MS).  

There is no reason to burden a device with more OS than that particular device needs.   Phones need a sleek minimalist Android OS and full bore laptops need a lot more to do all that they can do -- but no law says all stuff needs to be on all devices all of the time.  

Google already has the ability to move modules into a device as needed through the net seamlessly with you not even noticing it has happened.   Google also is good at doing data farm supported "big calculations", etc and just giving your device the answer to display, they do that already too, both on Android phones and Chromebooks.

If Google has been working on this for two years, likely they already have something interesting and compelling that they are now getting ready to start talking about.   And already have business partners lined up to build and support.  

Now they need to start with the user base (having watched MS fumble through alienating their Beta Testers in both PC and Mobile implementations,  I bet Google does a much better job of it).

It also explains why Google wouldn't support anybody else's attempts at a multi-user windowing full laptop environment in Android, they already had one under development.

Smiley

Once they name the thing we can have another ?????Wars to track for a year or three.

Microsoft is struggling to force enough users to go to Win 10 in order to have their promised billion Win 10 devices.  Right now they are hung at 130 million PC and phones and holding.   The new device sales of Win 10 are not that good right now as people are realizing that Win 10 isn't right yet and Win 10 certainly can be viewed as unstable in the broadest viewpoint.   And Win 10 is falling behind more and more on the list of "completed features" that were promised to be done by the end of this year.

On the Android side, Organic Android initializes a billion devices brand new every year and has done so for well over a year now ...... in one month alone Android initializes more devices than are running on Win 10 right now, period.

So far free Win 10 has only served to put a positive blip into MS's slide into obscurity, a short term reversal that MS is having to drive with whips and shock prods at this point in time.

What will happen when Android becomes a full featured OS ???

« Last Edit: 10/30/15 at 09:15:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #147 - 10/30/15 at 09:02:08

Ah, here it comes ..... revolving slowly as it bites into your flesh and starts to bore on in.

It is the lead tip of the BIG SCREWJOB from Microsoft.

Their very first 1,400% price increase on Win 10 computer associated stuff.

http://liliputing.com/2015/10/got-a-skype-phone-number-you-rates-might-be-goi...

This is what has happened to Brad Linder, the guy who runs Lilliputing.   Needless to say, he posted it and checked into it some to see if it was real.

"Skype offers customers an optional Skype Number which links your account to a phone number. When people call that number, your Skype app will ring. And there’s an optional feature that allows your Skype number to show in caller ID when you’re calling a phone number from Skype.

I’ve had a Skype Number for almost a decade and for much of that time I’ve paid about $24 per year for the number. But this morning I got an email from Skype telling me that the rate was about to go up to $29.94. Per month.

That comes to $359.28 per year, which would be a nearly 1400% increase. I’m not the only person getting this sort of message."

"Trust us."     right .....

Is this why everyone on Win 10 gets an automatic Skype account and why MS has back installed it automatically into all Win 7-8.x accounts just lately?

Angry

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #148 - 10/30/15 at 09:54:06

http://liliputing.com/2015/10/windows-10-is-coming-to-windows-update-be-caref...

Then, on the same day as the Skype 1,400% price increase MS drops this little dungus into your computer.

Windows 10 is coming to Windows Update: be careful if you don’t want an accidental upgrade

This particular change is also potentially possibly firing off some more random "forced automatic upgrades" that MS will say was accidentally created again due to your particular mix of automatic update settings.

"Here’s what’s happening:

Right now Microsoft is updating the “get your free upgrade” notification language to help encourage more users to take advantage of the free upgrade.

You also no longer have to register and then wait for a download. That system was in place at launch so that Microsoft could ensure that your computer wouldn’t encounter problems during the upgrade. Now that more than 100 million devices have been upgraded, Microsoft has a lot of data about the process. Now when you sign up for the upgrade, it starts right away.

Soon Microsoft will begin offering Windows 10 as an “optional update” in the Windows Update service for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users. This means it won’t download and install automatically, but you’ll be able to select the update if you’d like.

In early 2016 Windows 10 will become a “recommended update.” If you have Windows Updated set to automatically install recommended updates, this means your computer might start the upgrade process without any user intervention… but it will only start the process."

Sure, we believe you that you aren't going to twist our arm behind our backs to coerce us into upgrading .....  you are our "trusted" OS supplier, right?
You are just going to let millions of us do it by mistake, right?

Gonna set us all up for a new "free" Skype number too?

Angry

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #149 - 10/30/15 at 09:58:46

You got the notice cause you have a paid account (u r screwed)

Most have a free account (I m not playing)

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:26:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Microsoft Windows 10 (the ongoing saga)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.