Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Rylee's Cafe' Chat
09/11/15 at 03:19:57

We got into a discussion about a 19" rear wheel, and 3" swingarm extension in another thread.....and kinda' hijacked the fellows build thread.  I moved the discussion to here:

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Re: Oh look....another Ryca build thread
Reply #1 - 09/08/15 at 21:50:28

Like Dave has said the tire issue is just that...an issue. If you really prefer the meatier tire than I would suggest just sending your rear wheel to Buchanans and having them do it. That is the company that RYCA gets their 18" hoop and spokes from. For an extra 100 dollars you can choose whatever width blank hoop you want and they build the same wheel that RYCA will build. And they're also in Cali about 15 miles from RYCA so shipping would be identical.

I am also about to start a cafe build using a 2002 savage. I plan to do the 3" swing arm stretch and run a 19" rear to match the front. I chose to do the smaller 110/80/19 so I used a 2.75 hoop. Out the door price for me was $430 but I'm driving distance from Buchanans so I didn't have to ship.

« Last Edit: 09/11/15 at 07:17:42 by Rylee »  

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 09/09/15 at 05:12:11

Good info Rylee. BTW, what is the 3" swingarm stretch? Are there many 19" rear tires to choose from? (I just hijacked the thread Smiley )

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/09/15 at 05:30:07

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 09/09/15 at 06:22:28

Somehow I missed that on their website.

The use of the 19" rear does open up the possibility of or not using spacers (or in my case lowering the forks in the triple clamps) and using shocks with a longer stroke. This would make for a much more comfortable ride.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/09/15 at 07:10:22

This is a bit of a thread hijack.....and I will most likely pull out the last 3-4 posts of this thread after we discuss it a bit...or we can continue it in Rylee's build thread when he makes one.

I am not sure the 3" swing arm extension is a good thing.  The rear tire is already set back a bit too far to look good with the length of the RYCA fuel tank and seat.  Adding another 3" may make it look like those folks who extend the swing arms on their sport bikes and make them into.....drag racers (I don't like that look).  Also it requires the use of a chain/sprocket conversion - and since the Cafe' bike uses longer shocks and the sprockets are a smaller diameter - the chain will rub on the top of the swing arm at the pivot point....and the 3" extension will only make this situation worse (and the rear-set brackets are in the way and have to be notched for a chain conversion).  And.....this extension will shift even more weight onto the front wheel.....and in Cafe' form I believe that there might already be enough weight moved up front.

campbell_03.jpg

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 09/09/15 at 08:28:17

Good points Dave, especially as it relates to the chain hitting the swing arm. My chain is already closer to the swing arm then I'd like it. Also thinking about this further, a longer wheel base would have a negative impact on handling, making the bike more resistant to lean angle transitions.

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #7 - 09/09/15 at 20:16:39

Yes Dave all good points. I know the 18" rear conversion requires notching the center brace of the swing arm assembly so I was being proactive about a 19" wheel. The 3" swing arm stretch would be a bit much. I can counter that by offsetting the seat an inch or so further back. The ryca cafe kit has you forward and for me at 6' 2 I was not comfortable when I sat on 1 and felt I could stand to be an inch or two back further. Pulling the wheel further away does however change chain travel angles and that is an issue I haven't experienced yet. I'm sure there is a way around it whether it be notches or sprocket size options. It's a road I go down when I get there.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/10/15 at 03:21:24

Yep, at 6'-2" the standard sized RYCA might be a bit too snug.  You have the skills and opportunity to find a longer/bigger tank and get it mounted, slide the seat back a bit to make room for a longer tank (or use a different seat), and get yourself a bit more room.

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #9 - 09/10/15 at 22:24:09

@Dave
That was the plan. I intended to do the seat hoop and back pan a tad further back. Not really sure what tank to run. I've been looking at gs750 tanks with knee cut outs. Any suggestions on a good tank with a traditional cafe look. Preferably with knee cutouts?

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 09/10/15 at 22:54:22

BSTON wrote on 09/08/15 at 08:23:34:
...Yesterday I started on the teardown of the bike to get to tank sent in to Ryca. I think I spent about 4 hours in the garage and ended up working on the actual bike for about 45 minutes...

You got a helluva lot done in 45 minutes.  I love these build threads.  It's like a great TV show you can't wait to see what's happening next.  

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 09/11/15 at 03:14:25

Rylee wrote on 09/10/15 at 22:24:09:
Any suggestions on a good tank with a traditional cafe look. Preferably with knee cutouts?

I have been watching for a GS450 tank to come along at a reasonable price.....some of them have knee cutouts.  So far the cheapest one I have seen went for $ 200.....they seem to be popular tanks with the eBay bidders.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Suzuki-GS450-New-Original-Fuel-Gas-Tank-GS-450-E-...

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Re: Rylee's Cafe' Chat
Reply #12 - 09/11/15 at 07:16:02

Holy moly Dave I expected to open an eBay link to a $200 tank! I'm watching a Binelli mohave repop now from India that's 280 shipped that IMO is one of the sexiest cafe tanks with knee cut outs. It will probably be a little odd to mount since it's tunnel is very wide but I should be able to drop it down pretty far on the back bone.

Seems like the gs450 tank in all models except the E ones looks similar to an old peanut tank. It's the E model tanks with knee cut outs best price I've found for that tank so far was 750 and it was a pile of rust.

Note*
I only paid 600 for the bike not sure if I can justify putting an 800 used fuel rank on it...lol

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #13 - 09/11/15 at 07:35:37

If your gonna spend the money on a good tank this website sells repops of a bunch of classic cafe tanks. They are all new and ready to go no rust or damage. Look to spend 400 to 600 bucks but you will find a lot of rare tanks on here that cost as much of not more on ebay for 30+ year old beat down tanks full of rust and dents!

www.airtech-streamlining.com

They are fiberglass tanks though...

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/11/15 at 07:43:08

Rylee:  I wasn't suggesting you buy the $ 900 one....I only sent that so you could see the shape of the tank.  A couple of weeks ago a pretty nice used tank went for less than $ 200.....I just didn't get into the bidding war and was going to watch for a while.  I am not certain I like the overall shape of the tank.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-1980-GS450-GS-450-7-23-BLACK-GAS-FUEL-TANK-WIT...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 23:33:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rylee's Cafe' Chat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.