Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Member - A Few questions (Read 324 times)
Jstat
YaBB Newbies

What a long strange
trip it's been.

St. Louie
New Member - A Few questions
09/02/15 at 13:23:15

I am a new member here.   I'm in St. Louis (Elev 750ft). Thank you for providing this forum. I've already taken advantage of some of the modifications described here. I recently inherited a stock 2007 S40 with only 2300 miles on it.  Unfortunately it sat in a garage with gas in the tank for over four years.   So now I'm trying to bring it back to life.   Here is what I've done so far:

1. New battery.
2. New stock air filter.
3. New stock oil filter and oil change with 10w-40 synth.
4. Raptor petcock and fresh tank of high octane with a dab of sea foam.
5. Cleaned the carb.  However I am a novice at carburetor work. Also I could not get the top screws off the carb so I could not get to the top portion (I need to get an impact driver). I cleaned the rest with gum out and a toothbrush.  It did not look terribly filthy on the inside.
6. Seat raised 1" with #7 stoppers.  
7. Purchased a good condition HD Dyna muffler and clamp but I have not installed it yet.

So now,  here is what is going on with the bike:

1.  It will fire up and will run (I put about 50 miles on it last weekend). However I have to keep the throttle opened a little bit because it will die at idle.  I cranked down the idle screw as far as it will go. However there is still about a quarter to half inch, depending on how warm the bike is,  between the end of the screw and the point where the bike will die.   I drilled out the plug on the idle mix screw and I've been playing with different settings for the mixture but none of those seem to make a difference.  The bike still dies if I don't stay on the throttle.   So that's my issue 1.  Any suggestions?

2. The bike backfires like crazy (shocker!).  As before, tinkering with the idle mix screw does not seem to change it. I've ordered a new header gasket just in case the old one is somehow letting air in the pipe.  Also, I'm installing a dyna muffler.  Any other suggestions?     Also, with regard to the dyna install, the tech section suggests using a tin can to make the crush gasket.  Won't the tin rust pretty quickly?   Also, I bought some Permatex Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker that I plan to use at the joint and on the header gasket.  Do you see any problems with using this?

I'm guessing that some of you may say that both of my problems are still carburetor related, but I was hoping  I missed something or that there may be other easier fixes.  I really hate carb work  Grin

Thanks again!

Jstat
2007 S40 - Dyna - Raptor
  IP Logged
strang

london
Re: New Member - A Few questions
Reply #1 - 09/02/15 at 14:20:46

1. My bike had exactly the same symptoms as you describe when I first bought it. The owner had taken the bike to at least one mechanic to remedy with no joy. The solution is to trim the white spacer that Suzuki put on the carb needle to get the bike through emissions blah blah.
white spacer mod:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1104205157

Maybe before you do that mod however you should get your dyna done, as the carb and muffler interact, so before messing with how much white spacer you want to keep/modify you might want to put the dyna in place. Dyna will make the bike run much better, faster, bit louder   Tongue
Well did for mine anyway.

If you're worried about the muffler tin can gasket rusting you could maybe use a bit aluminium or stainless pipe with a slash in it. I would just use the tin can and see how you go for a season. You might ending up modding further if you get the bug...

Anyway chuck the tin can on there, bit of gasket goo, dyna in place.
Then do the white spacer mod.
Will be a different bike.
Effort, but I think you will like.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 09/02/15 at 15:07:25

If the bike won't idle. Idle mix adjustment makes no difference at all. 1/4" of space between the idle screw and where the bike stalls, there is one thing to fix.  The pilot (idle) circuit in the carb is plugged up.
You're relying on the needle jet slightly opening to keep the bike running with a throttle position like that.  
Pull the pilot (idle) jet, very small wire through the hole...make sure it's clear.  Carb cleaner in the passages. Remove the mixture screw.  Blow out the passages with compressed air. Air should come out the idle mix screw hole.  Once you have air there, you need to get air coming out the small idle holes in the carb bore.  When air flows cleanly through the circuit, fuel should flow as well.

Oh, and welcome!  You've got a nice bike there.  Just take your time, learn as you go, and it will last a long time with you taking good care of it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Jstat
YaBB Newbies

What a long strange
trip it's been.

St. Louie
Reply #3 - 09/02/15 at 15:22:43

Thanks, Steve and Strang.   Since I'm going to be installing the Dyna, should I also increase the main jet to 152.5 at that time since it sounds like I need to take the carb apart anyway?

Jstat
2007 S40 - Dyna - Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/02/15 at 15:26:04

I don't believe the RTV will take the heat.
Don't put it on the header at all.  The gasket will do fine.
I believe steve is right, idle circuit is plugged.
Clean again.

Do back up the screws with a solid object if you're gonna use an impact hammer on them or you'll break off the tabs.  I would prefer to use vice grips on the head and replace with allen head screws.

So you raptorized, did you plug the vac port?

WWW   IP Logged
Jstat
YaBB Newbies

What a long strange
trip it's been.

St. Louie
Reply #5 - 09/02/15 at 15:33:43

Yep.  I went to Autozone and bought a pack of these little rubber caps.  

http://www.autozone.com/fittings-and-hose-line-connectors/vacuum-connector-an...

Fits snuggly and seems to work.

Jstat
2007 S40 - Dyna - Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/02/15 at 15:35:29

Carry one with you. When one of those caps starts leaking,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jstat
YaBB Newbies

What a long strange
trip it's been.

St. Louie
Reply #7 - 09/02/15 at 15:39:20

Good call.  In fact, the bike didn't come with a tool pack, so I'm putting one together and those caps will be in there.

Jstat
2007 S40 - Dyna - Raptor
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/02/15 at 16:28:46

Steve and Versy have it exactly right.  Do what they suggested.  You can do the white spacer mod after you get the Dyna on and you can get a variety of pilot and main jet sizes to play with.  They're cheap, and I wouldn't just assume that the 152.5 will be right. The ones you don't need you can very easily sell or hang on to in case you move or need to tweak for another reason.

*I also agree that the RTV won't take the heat and don't see a need for it.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Jstat
YaBB Newbies

What a long strange
trip it's been.

St. Louie
Reply #9 - 09/02/15 at 17:01:57

So, as to the backfiring issue, I guess the reason the mixture screw adjustment did not work is because the idle jet is clogged?  I was just thinking there must be air getting into the pipe somewhere and that the silicone might help. (It's not just an occasional backfire, it's ALOT...to the point where I shouldn't ride it around other humans  Shocked).  Sounds like I might get a second bite at the apple with the mixture screw fix once I clean out the idle jet.

Thanks again, guys.

Jstat
2007 S40 - Dyna - Raptor
  IP Logged
Jstat
YaBB Newbies

What a long strange
trip it's been.

St. Louie
Reply #10 - 09/02/15 at 17:23:50

Steve H wrote on 09/02/15 at 15:07:25:
Once you have air there, you need to get air coming out the small idle holes in the carb bore.

Steve, are these idle holes the 2 vents with the hoses attached?

Jstat
2007 S40 - Dyna - Raptor
  IP Logged
scotnstl
YaBB Newbies

No matter where you
go, there you are!

Maplewood Missouri
Reply #11 - 09/02/15 at 18:22:19

With the stock air filter you may not need to re-jet with the dyna. Mine runs fine without re-jetting. Welcome from Maplewood.

1986 Savage LS650, 11k, Raptor, Dyna, Tensioner mod, Rotella T.
  IP Logged
Jstat
YaBB Newbies

What a long strange
trip it's been.

St. Louie
Reply #12 - 09/02/15 at 19:02:55

Thanks, Scot.   Good to know.  Wildwood here.

Jstat
2007 S40 - Dyna - Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 09/03/15 at 03:50:26

On my bike with the stock air filter and DYNA muffler - the best jetting was a #50 Pilot, #150 main, and 2 washers on the top of the slide needle.  Some bikes run fine with 3 washers and that is the standard place to start - but mine still had a uneven "surging" just off idle with 3 washers and removing one made the bike run really well.

The #52 pilots most often are used with the cone air filters.

And no RTV sealant will work on the exhaust header.  Folks can use that on exhaust manifolds on cars as they are water cooled, and the engine block carries the heat away from the gasket surface......the header will get far too hot for the RTV to work.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #14 - 09/03/15 at 04:04:22

The idle circuit outputs beyond the butterfly. Between the butterfly and the engine if I remember correctly.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 21:58:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Member - A Few questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.