ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: NEWBIE HELP
Reply #45 - 08/27/15 at 08:04:13

CAPT CRUNCH wrote on 08/27/15 at 07:49:51:
Alright just bought a voltmeter .. I've never used one before. Is any part of the frame a good ground?

any plated surface, not painted is good.
bare metal can be found on the inside of screw threads too.
if you're in doubt, check with the ohm meter setting on any 2 like contacts.

WWW   IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 08/27/15 at 08:18:58

so theres no setting on the voltmeter i got. it just lights up when theres power. I've been trying to find how to videos and struggling to find a good one.

i just grounded to frame and put the voltmeter on powerpoint of starter and hit ignition.... nothing

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #47 - 08/27/15 at 18:27:59

Okay, then do the same thing at the solenoid. See if that dude is getting power. You really need something that gives a readout. Just a
Yes , voltage
No, no voltage
just isn't good enough for troubleshooting.
Harbor Freight, under ten bucks..kinda disposable..I use the Micronta from the eighties for serious stuff , but HF is good enough for hunting around the bike. Alligator clips that plug onto the tips are good and a wire with a clip for an extension if it's too far for the little leads. They give up pretty quick if you wrap around the meter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 08/27/15 at 19:33:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/27/15 at 18:27:59:
Okay, then do the same thing at the solenoid. See if that dude is getting power. You really need something that gives a readout. Just a
Yes , voltage
No, no voltage
just isn't good enough for troubleshooting.
Harbor Freight, under ten bucks..kinda disposable..I use the Micronta from the eighties for serious stuff , but HF is good enough for hunting around the bike. Alligator clips that plug onto the tips are good and a wire with a clip for an extension if it's too far for the little leads. They give up pretty quick if you wrap around the meter.

What part of the solenoid do I test .. The red wire in the harness ...or the solenoid itself ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #49 - 08/27/15 at 20:39:56

One of the big wires should be hot, one of the little should be ground, and the other should get power when you push the Starter button, that is supposed to create an electromagnet, it's just a big relay, using a small current, because the starter button won't survive the current to spin the starter..
The two small wires energize a coil, creating an electromagnet, pulling two serious contacts together. I've seen them arc and weld themselves together enough to keep spinning the starter after the key is released, even removed. I had to whack it.. And, I've seen them click shut, but not pass current, due to arcing building up burned spots.

You'd be way ahead with a maintenance manual and the electrical diagram.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 08/27/15 at 22:56:06

Is it worth just replacing? Is there much more between starter and power switch?

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #51 - 08/28/15 at 01:26:32

Can our Savage motor be rotated by hand? Like, putting a wrench with a pipe on it for leverage and trying to turn the drive pulley manually?

Knowing if the piston is jammed up seems to be a priority, no? Even trying to push the bike in 2nd  (or even 3rd) gear for a couple of feet with the spark plug removed would at least tell you if it was seized.

I never looked at our starter before...can they be bench tested like a car starter? Just hit it with jumper cables and see if it engages and spins? Can the flywheel be rotated from the starter area access point?

Your starter relay should click twice (if you listen very carefully). Like any electro-mechanical relay, it will click loud when energized and softly when the start button is released and the contacts re-set. If it clicks every time you hit the starter, I would assume that the solenoid/relay contacts are OK and getting power. Whether the battery voltage is actually getting to the starter motor needs to be verified.

Try to start it at night in the dark. If the headlight dims when you hit the start button, that would seem to indicate that the starter is getting voltage but is being mechanically held back (the lights dim because the starter motor stalls). If the headlight doesnt dim at all, then I'd think no juice was actually getting to the starter motor, even though the relay contacts might be engaging.

Just a thought.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #52 - 08/28/15 at 03:05:16

You can remove the left side timing inspection cover (small round plug with big slot in it), and rotate the engine counterclockwise with a 17mm socket and wrench.

Any yes you can "bench test" the starter by applying the (-) terminal to the frame and the (+) terminal to the threaded stud.  You can also do it while in the bike.....just connect the (-) to the frame and the (+) to the stud.  The compression release will not work - so don't be surprised if the starter pushes the engine up onto the compression stroke and then stops (release the cable quickly).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #53 - 08/28/15 at 06:38:08

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 08/28/15 at 01:26:32:
Can our Savage motor be rotated by hand? Like, putting a wrench with a pipe on it for leverage and trying to turn the drive pulley manually?

Knowing if the piston is jammed up seems to be a priority, no? Even trying to push the bike in 2nd  (or even 3rd) . for a couple of feet with the spark plug removed would at least tell you if it was seized.

I never looked at our starter before...can they be bench tested like a car starter? Just hit it with jumper cables and see if it engages and spins? Can the flywheel be rotated from the starter area access point?

Your starter relay should click twice (if you listen very carefully). Like any electro-mechanical relay, it will click loud when energized and softly when the start button is released and the contacts re-set. If it clicks every time you hit the starter, I would assume that the solenoid/relay contacts are OK and getting power. Whether the battery voltage is actually getting to the starter motor needs to be verified.

Try to start it at night in the dark. If the headlight dims when you hit the start button, that would seem to indicate that the starter is getting voltage but is being mechanically held back (the lights dim because the starter motor stalls). If the headlight doesnt dim at all, then I'd think no juice was actually getting to the starter motor, even though the relay contacts might be engaging.

Just a thought.

I'd either get fog oil or some of the light oil in a Zoom spout and trace the cylinder wall with the tip of the spout, before I spun the engine.
Clear debris from the plug cavity prior to removal.

Knowing if the piston is jammed up seems to be a priority, no? Even trying to push the bike in 2nd  (or even 3rd) . for a couple of feet with the spark plug removed would at least tell you if it was seized.

Stu, I've made the point twice, and mentioned that we've seen a piston and sleeve damaged by a dry start, no reply as to whether or not it's been done.
The
Look at it at night
thing may yield nothing, but it's just So easy and can reveal a problem,, it's worth trying.
I'd either get fog oil or some of the light oil in a Zoom spout and trace the cylinder wall with the tip of the spout, before I spun the engine.
Clear debris from the plug cavity prior to removal.

IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 08/28/15 at 09:25:59

I have no dry started it .. Don't know if previous owner has. The headlights do dim when I hit ignition

IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 08/28/15 at 09:27:41

CAPT CRUNCH wrote on 08/28/15 at 09:25:59:
I have no dry started it .. Don't know if previous owner has. The headlights do dim when I hit ignition

But I could not get the voltmeter to light up when conacting starter while I try to start

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #56 - 08/28/15 at 18:36:41

Don't start throwing pArts at it. Get proper tools and information.
You need a Real multimeter, ten bucks,
You need a wiring diagram.
Some of these guys are computer savvy and can post sections of it..
Or maybe point you a direction,, I can't. I had a Suzuki maintenance manual and let it go with the bike.. And I can't remember hoot about how stuff is wired. I don't even remember if the start button supplies the ground or the power to the solenoid.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #57 - 08/29/15 at 04:27:37

Capt. Crunch.  Where do you live....maybe somebody with a bit of experience and a volt meter can come help you.

Go to the top of the pae and look for the Icon that says 'MY CENTER".  Go in there and change your settings...and add your home City and State.  You might be able to hook up with some local members.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 08/30/15 at 17:33:46

Wildomar ,CA.. Any help would be appreciated . I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed with the electrical stuff .. I really don't want to bring it the shop but I might have too.

So green wire looks to be coming from a negative of some kind of relay thats in line with the wire going to the plug. sorry dont have better description

photo_1_010.JPG
  IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 08/30/15 at 18:16:03

then there are these.. no idea . the 8 wires going in and out of the connector

photo_2_005.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5