Send Topic Print
NEWBIE HELP (Read 738 times)
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NEWBIE HELP
08/21/15 at 07:53:34

So i just bought an 06 S40. Needless to say im super stoked on it and am really hoping i didnt just buy an absolute money pit. Anyway, bike has been sitting for a few months so once i got it in the garage I started with some general maintenance

new battery, oil and filter, new spark plug, and unfortunately just purchased a starter..

sorry for rambling, new question is.. I found a hose thats not connected to anything. It appears to be coming up from a unit thats super low and just in front of the rear wheel. The hose runs up toward the carb. What is it?

Also I have about 2.5 quarts of fresh oil in her and still have yet to see any in the sight glass ? Any suggestions .. More oil?
thanks
« Last Edit: 08/21/15 at 21:17:36 by CAPT CRUNCH »  

photo-1.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: NEWBIE HELP
Reply #1 - 08/21/15 at 08:28:43

carbon cannister - epa BS.
that hose goes to the other side of the carb, should be a small port to the rear of the slide.  note that the vac port is in front of the slide.

WWW   IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #2 - 08/21/15 at 15:25:26

Make bike level when checking oil

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/21/15 at 16:08:05

The plug? Why? I hope you cleaned out the cavity it sits in first.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 08/21/15 at 16:43:00

No more oil, you may even be marginally over, as Chase suggests, have someone sit on the bike while you look at the window or get a suitable block of wood for the side stand to level it up.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/21/15 at 18:35:35

Why did it need a starter?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/21/15 at 20:53:44

the starter was not turning. I brought it to the shop to test it. Dude said it was no good.

I could not get it to turn over. It gave one good try at turning over then just intense clicks every time i hit the ignition switch after that.

checked the petcock, I'm getting fuel. Brand new battery fully charged and repeatedly hook it back up to the charger in between trys.

installed a fresh spark plug, so i did have the tank off for a bit.

IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/21/15 at 21:08:35

I was unable to find the port out form the carb to the carbon canster hose.  And unable to find much info about it.

IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/21/15 at 21:23:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/21/15 at 16:08:05:
The plug? Why? I hope you cleaned out the cavity it sits in first.

I changed it because the bike had been sitting for a while, had starting issues and its 4 dollars so if figured why not. I did not clean out what it sits in. never really though about that

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #9 - 08/22/15 at 00:29:26

First of all, welcome to the Forums at Suzukisavage.com! Here you will find absolutely EVERYTHING that you would ever want to know about the Savage/S40. The gurus here are much more knowledgeable about this bike than the techs at Suzuki dealerships, so when they give you advice...it's generally a good idea to listen Cool

As far as your problem, the carb is not that complicated. Is it one of the bowl vent hoses? (there are 2, one on each side).

Carb_Screws_Web_001_001.jpg

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 08/22/15 at 00:33:35

With regards to your starter issue, I have a quirky starter on my '03 Savage. I hit the start button, loud click...count "one Mississippi" and then she turns over. Does that with a brand new, fully charged battery. Sometimes I even have to hit the button twice (about 1 second apart).
Only does this when its "cold"...once she's been running she kicks right over. I always just assumed that was how they all were Roll Eyes

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #11 - 08/22/15 at 01:27:55

CAPT CRUNCH wrote on 08/21/15 at 20:53:44:
I could not get it to turn over. It gave one good try at turning over then just intense clicks every time i hit the ignition switch after that.

Sounds like your starter motor or solenoid might be shot. Try dismounting your seat and listening for where the clicks originate, the solenoid is just behind the intake snorkel below the seat.
If you want to investigate further, then try bridging the terminals of the solenoid with a screwdriver, watch your fingers and wear gloves! if the motor churns then you know it's the solenoid that's shot. If not then your starter motor might be toast.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 08/22/15 at 02:25:32

Check your earths.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/22/15 at 05:11:56

First, check the battery.
If it's good, check connections, and that includes Earths.. as they say.
Or, ground, as we say. That's often overlooked.

IP Logged
CAPT CRUNCH
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/22/15 at 19:08:14

Check carb hoses all look good. bowl vent as well.

I dont understand checking grounds.. I understand what a ground is, but how do you identify it in order to check it.

thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 19:21:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NEWBIE HELP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.