Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2003 Savage Cuts out at speed (Read 94 times)
Net
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2003 Savage Cuts out at speed
07/29/15 at 10:50:02

I'm new to riding a bike so I am probably the problem. The problem I am having is I cannot maintain a cruising speed of 55-60 mph or coast to a stop without the bike cutting out. If I am accelerating its great but when I level out the bike just shuts off.  I have taken this bike to the mechanic and have had it serviced, oil change with filter, air filter and had the fuel tank drained and blown out of old gas. The Mechanic says its a good bike in good condition. It ran fine after that but when I put gas in it this problem started up. I put 87 unleaded in it.
I'm having to restart the bike while coasting down the road. Freaked me out the first couple of times.

2003 Savage
20,000 miles
No modifications done (yet)

Any Suggestions?

Net

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 2003 Savage Cuts out at speed
Reply #1 - 07/29/15 at 10:55:50

STOPS AT IDLE.......You might try bumping your idle speed up a tad......that is an easy fix as the know can be adjusted with your fingers.  If the idle speed is too low it can stall when you close the throttle abruptly.

If it all started soon after a fill up.....I would wonder about the quality of the fuel you bought.  If you carb has a drain screw....I would drain out a bit of fuel and see if that helps.  There might be some water in the carb.

You might also want to drain out that tank and see if some different gas solves the problem.

DIES AT STEADY SPEED.....That one is a bit tougher.  If it all started right after that new tank of fuel, I would sure wonder about the fuel.  The bike runs fine on 87 octane....as long as the fuel is good and not old or tainted with water.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Net
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/29/15 at 10:57:54

I'll give it a try and reprot back. Thanks

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #3 - 07/29/15 at 13:00:29

Could it be a leak in the vacuum line not completely opening the petcock valve or the petcock itself has fouled?
That would let the bowl fill when accelerating and idle, but it may be enough to let it go empty at steady speed.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/29/15 at 19:29:02

The thing that jumps out at me AND is easy to do is the gas.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Net
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/30/15 at 07:27:08

Ok, so i adjusted my idling speed which worked so far, but, in the process of adjustment I found a gas leak at the hose between the carb petcock and the tank.  Undecided  Now I'm going to find this hose and clamps to replace what's there. It possible this could also be the culprit of all this mess. I just wanna ride!

Net

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/30/15 at 07:50:11

Net wrote on 07/30/15 at 07:27:08:
Ok, so i adjusted my idling speed which worked so far, but, in the process of adjustment I found a gas leak at the hose between the carb petcock and the tank.  Undecided  Now I'm going to find this hose and clamps to replace what's there. It possible this could also be the culprit of all this mess. I just wanna ride!

Net

The petcock is bolted to the tank....there is no hose between the petcock and the tank.  There is a fuel supply hose that goes from the petcock to the left side of the carb, and a vacuum hose that goes from the petcock to the right side of the carb.

If you are talking about the hose that goes from the petcock over to the right side of the carb...that is the vacuum hose for the diaphragm operated petcock.  If there is a leak in that hose, it is not good and can be the cause of your problem.  If the vacuum is leaking out the petcock may not be opening and allowing fuel to flow.  (And if that hose has fuel in it.....that is a sign that the diaphragm is failing and leaking fuel where it is not supposed to be).

IP Logged
Net
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/30/15 at 08:00:51

Awesome, sounds like another trip to the shop.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/30/15 at 08:13:38

Net wrote on 07/30/15 at 08:00:51:
Awesome, sounds like another trip to the shop.

If the stock vacuum operated petcock is acting up, this forum recommends replacement with a genuine Yamaha part from the 660 Raptor. It is a manually operated and very reliable petcock.....provided you become accustomed to turning it ON when you start riding for the day, and turn if OFF when you are done riding for the day.

Here is a link that contains useful information for new owners.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

IP Logged
Net
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/04/15 at 03:42:38

Well, I got my bike back yesterday from the shop. The verdict is, the fuel line leading into the carburetor was old and cracked (leak) and an exhaust leak was found. My gut replaced the lines and also replaced the muffler with a Harley muffler. Now I have no backfiring and it didn't stall this morning going to work. YAY!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/04/15 at 06:26:39

You should always go with the gut.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 04:27:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2003 Savage Cuts out at speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.