Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is threaded 6mm stainless rod safe as brake rod? (Read 81 times)
strang

london
Is threaded 6mm stainless rod safe as brake rod?
08/04/15 at 03:19:22

Sorting out some mid-sets last night and have used a threaded 6mm stainless rod to go from the right brake pedal back to the rear drum brake lever.
I see most people use a solid rod - is this just for looks or is the extra stiffness important for safety?
I would just go with the solid rod but I've sorted out an easy way of mounting the rear brake light switch off of the threaded rod.
The thread rod works great with the bike on a jack but am wondering how much force the actual rod takes during real life braking?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Is threaded 10mm stainless rod safe as brake r
Reply #1 - 08/04/15 at 03:40:24

When you say "10mm" rod....do you mean rod that accepts a 10mm nut?  The hole through the barrel that fits in the rear brake arm is actually a 6mm thread size.

When I built my rear brake rod, I first tried 1/4" stainless rod.  I had to stick it in the lathe to cut the diameter down just a bit to get it threaded to 6mm.  I discovered the rod flexed too much where the rod was bent to avoid the muffler, and the brake pedal was mushy as a result.

I made the rod out of 5/16" stainless, and it proved to be much better (I had to cut the ends down to 6mm to get them threaded).  Going from 1/4" (6.35mm) to 5/16" (7.93mm) doesn't sound like much - but it increases the stiffness by 56% and made a big difference in pedal feel.

So.....using 10mm threaded rod is probably fine - but I believe using 6mm threaded rod (which fits through the barrel in the rear brake rod) proved to be a bit too flimsy.  Having the entire rod threaded doesn't look all that great, and it will reduce the stiffness some as the threads do cut material away.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
strang

london
Re: Is threaded 6mm stainless rod safe as brake ro
Reply #2 - 08/04/15 at 03:59:01

yeah sorry Dave (have modified original post) meant 6mm stainless threaded rod - was late when I finished last night and am bleary eyed at work today  Shocked
don't care about the threaded look but you're right I think it's too flimsy.
cheers for the heads up on 5/16.
more work to do.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/04/15 at 04:19:21

One possible way to make this work without a lathe and the dies to cut threads on the rod - would be to use the 10mm rod and have someone weld 6mm stainless bolts on the ends......allen head bolts would be easy to get welded onto the ends of the rod.  They could also weld on a nut, washer or stud where you want to connect the brake light.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #4 - 08/04/15 at 04:27:22

I was just thinking similar - 8mm o.d./6mm i.d. pipe over the top of the threaded rod and welding it together? Leaving the 6mm ends showing of course.
Your solution is even stronger.
Needs to be farmyard solution as yes I don't have a lathe.
I do have a tig welder but havn't done stainless. For such a simple weld is it just the same as mild steel? I know you have to purge the other side with pipes but with little welds like this I imagine not?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/04/15 at 05:00:47

When you weld stainless, the metal that is exposed to air and not shielded by the gas reacts with the oxygen and turns black and becomes very porous.  It is a problem for tubing or sheet on the backside of the weld - but I don't believe it will be a problem for welding a stud into small tubing.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #6 - 08/04/15 at 12:47:14

Here's where I'm at so far with the rod and brake switch.
Am running the brake switch off the clevis pin - works well but any suggestions for what to use instead of the bit of welding filler rod?

20150804_170218.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/04/15 at 14:19:14

Sometimes the simple ways are the best.  It doesn't look any worse than some of the things I have seen on factory Norton's or Triumphs from the 1960's.

You could paint the rod black and make it match the spring......or go get some stainless welding rod and make it shiny to match the brake rod.

I fussed with this a long time when I did my bike build.  I ended up hiding the switch behind the right side body panel, and using a bicycle brake inner/outer cable to activate the switch.  The weird thing is the inner cable is mounted solid to the rear set mount and the outer cable is mounted to the backside of the brake pedal....and the outer cable moves when the brake is applied - While at the other end of the outer cable is mounted stationary and the inner cable pulls on the brake switch spring.  It works just fine - and I had to do it that way to keep the cable headed in the shortest direction possible.     

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 11:14:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is threaded 6mm stainless rod safe as brake rod?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.