Send Topic Print
Lane Splitting (Read 358 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Lane Splitting
Reply #30 - 07/08/15 at 21:22:00

Not really. 'Cuz the car behind you is stopped as well.

However, if the car behind you isn't paying attention then somebody's getting hit anyway. That's why you should stop in gear, at an angle, pointed toward your safest exit route. Always watch your mirrors at red lights.

This discussion is a moot point around here. It's illegal to share a lane with anyone for any reason.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #31 - 07/08/15 at 21:59:58

verslagen1 wrote on 07/07/15 at 10:26:42:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/06/15 at 11:57:37:
I wonder what people like that do if they hit the lottery.

Then that's the answer I'm going with... "if you hit the lottery, do you share with everyone?"

I had a neighbor who hit the lottery. When I ask him what he was going to do after he told his boss to F.O.A.D., His answer was. " The same thing every other rich guy does. I going to buy a couple of politicians!"

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #32 - 07/08/15 at 22:08:26

old.indian wrote on 07/08/15 at 21:59:58:
His answer was. " The same thing every other rich guy does. I going to buy a couple of politicians!"

What a waste... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #33 - 07/09/15 at 01:44:29

Kris01 wrote on 07/07/15 at 18:06:44:
I don't wish to share in everyone else's discomfort but I don't want to have the attitude either that "I'm better than you because I can squeeze through traffic when you can't". If the bike overheats sitting still, shut it off.

Interesting point of view.

Please analyze the difference between raincoats and umbrellas.
Since a guy in a raincoat can squeeze past two guys with two umbrellas... should he squeeze past or just get soaked ?

Please analyze the reason behing 4-6 lane highways: why not just two-laners, it's a lot chaper to build two-laners than six-laners!

And why have a back door in the house to get from the kitchen to the back yard... can't you just walk out the front door and walk around the house like normal people do?

Kris... "two vehicles cannot share one lane" is a line written in the 1920's when there were only cars on the road, and precious few 8and slow) motorbikes, and literally no traffic at all.

That line was intended to discipline traffic as it existed way back then, and was simpoly "copy&pasted" for the last 80-odd years.

Trust me, if someone in Congress were to ask a committee of LEOs to re-write the Highway Code from scratch, I bet there would be quite a few novelties around!

PS Quote:
I don't wish to share in everyone else's discomfort but I don't want to have the attitude either that "I'm better than you because I can squeeze through traffic when you can't". If the bike overheats sitting still, shut it off.

Does this mean you endorse those who change lanes or open their doors suddenly when a bike rides past ?

Does this mean you would do it yourself, out of spite ?  Lips Sealed

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 07/09/15 at 05:47:37

Kris01 wrote on 07/07/15 at 19:37:59:
I consider it like this: if there's a person standing in line at the grocery store and this person isn't paying attention and leaves a gap between them and the next person, do I jump ahead of them? I have the opportunity.

In politics, this is known as doubling down after making a comment that didnt play well!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #35 - 07/09/15 at 15:23:32

Wow, all these negative comments! Well, I guess it is TT! Cheesy

My last word on the subject, I don't lane split. I don't think it falls in line with "naked and invisible". It seems like you are putting yourself in harm's way by riding so close to cars on both sides. If anybody pays for the mistake it will be the guy on the motorcycle. The car drivers are almost unaffected. They might receive scraped paint. The motorcyclist receives a scraped face....or worse.

As I said before, it's not legal around here. Even if it were, I wouldn't do it. I would find a safer way to maneuver through traffic.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #36 - 07/09/15 at 15:36:07

Negative? Pointing out opposing ideas, bAcked by hypothetical situations..

Disagreeing and explaining why is only
Negative
to those of a particular political outlook.

You disagreed with me, but you weren't being negative.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #37 - 07/09/15 at 16:27:51

Down here in sunny florida they are adding bicycle lanes to the shoulders of the 4 lane.
Not a good idea... 3 cyclists killed already, these folks drive nutz here!

Traffic in the morning going in the east bound lanes is loaded.....west bound in the morning.... 4 or 5 cars every few minutes.
Traffic in the afternoon (4pm to 6:30pm) worse than the morning traffic going east! because all the fools are in a hurry to get home.
There is a fire dept/ambulance building about four blocks from my house and in the afternoon at about 4:30-5:30pm I hear them leave, sirens a blazin'.

Traffic then slows down to a crawl and locks up for about 5 miles ..... next time it happens and i'm on the bike, i'm using the bicycle lane until an officer pulls me over... I will then explain my bike is air cooled and I have no water.
In other words.... i'm going to chance it, instead of sitting still in traffic for an hour or two.
Yeah it takes an hour for me to go four miles to my house.... highway 98 is the ONLY road along this route for about 20 miles, unless I could possibly get to I10 (30 minutes north), to travel to gulfbreeze, then come back home from the west going east, and that would take me about an hour and a half.....
Like I said, next time... I will chance the bicycle lane.....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #38 - 07/09/15 at 18:07:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/09/15 at 15:36:07:

Negative

Yeah, when I typed "negative" I knew it wasn't the best choice of words. I just meant basically "Me vs. Everybody else". I didn't realize my comments would ruffle so many feathers.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 07/09/15 at 18:43:41

You didn't ruffle feathers, you made a statement that others didn't agree with and we tried to explain why. If the law says I sit,, ill sit until I think I'm gonna mess up my motor... but if it's legal, I'm cruising,,, if we're riding together  , I'm cruising..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #40 - 07/09/15 at 18:52:11

I have no problem with others who do it if it's legal. I just choose not to.  Smiley

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 07/10/15 at 05:51:18

Down here in sunny florida they are adding bicycle lanes to the shoulders of the 4 lane.
Not a good idea... 3 cyclists killed already, these folks drive nutz here!

oh, don't get me started....

We did the same thing around here. Nearby suburb took a 4 lane road with a grass medium and no parking and turned it into a 2 lane with bike lanes to  the right of the driving lane and then a parking lane next to the curb. Predictable results.....

Honestly, how stupid do you have to be to get in positions of power?... Is there a class you have to take (and fail) so you suddenly get to make stupid decisions that ultimately make things worse and (in some cases) get people killed? (Can anyone say Professor Obama....?)

So thanks to progress, we went from 2 lanes to 1, with bikes on the right very close to you because the right lane now has car parking, But they park sporadically so bikers swerve back and forth. Oh, and a$$hole flat bellied bikers in their neon shirts ride side by side so they can chat. so the end results is a former 35 MPH 4 lane road with quite a bit of traffic into a 15 MPH traffic mess...  So cars divert off to parallel side roads that are all filled with families with kids.....

Great freaking idea....  but hey, they get to put up signs saying they are bike friendly.   (as long as that bike doesn't have a motor in it....)

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 07/10/15 at 06:17:23

There are some roads in my town that were two lane that have been reduced to one lane, and a bicycle lane.
The 49cc scooters still clog the road ways and I have no problem cutting between them like a knife while on my motorcycle. Those things are no registered, insured, you don't even need a license... you shouldn't be on the road that I pay registration, taxes, and property tax for.

--Steve

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 07/10/15 at 08:08:36

I'm just sick of bicyclist 'share the road' preaching when they do anything but share the road....  someone's going to have to explain to me why a bicyclist has the right to turn a 35mph zone into a 5mph zone....  Most pretentious group of people out there today. (minus gay rights, transgender, blacklivesmatter, handsupdon'tshoot etc....)

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #44 - 07/13/15 at 04:37:34

Kris01 wrote on 07/09/15 at 18:07:14:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/09/15 at 15:36:07:

Negative

Yeah, when I typed "negative" I knew it wasn't the best choice of words. I just meant basically "Me vs. Everybody else". I didn't realize my comments would ruffle so many feathers.

No ruffling, Kris, but maybe I should put things (back) into perspective.

I see you are from Tennessee, so I googled a few photos of "traffic tennessee" and came up with pictures of traffic jams in Nashville.

So I presume that in THIS kind of environment, you find it pointless and dangerous to split lanes, and I AGREE.

However, come to Big City, USA... "traffic jam" takes on another meaning...

... to the point that you DO NOT want to sit it out, and potentially suffer from sun/heat stroke and exhaustion...

...to the point that...

http://my.firefighternation.com/forum/topics/fire-department-motorcycles-a?q=...

"This is nothing less than progressive thinking and preparing for the worst case scenario, which is a reduced response time due to factors that often times include traffic.
Getting boots on the ground and on scene in a timely manner is all of our jobs. The use of a motorcycle sure seems like a reasonable alternative to long response times.

Two BMW R 1200 RT were delivered for fire department of croatian highways (HAC) in july 15. 2008.
Motorcicles are stationed in firehouses near tunnels Sveti Rok and Mala Kapela. Motorcycle teams have 100-150 alarms per year.
Fire motorcycles are very useful in accidents, when the traffic is very dense.
Until firetrucks arrives moto team can start the intervention.
Equipment:
IFEX water impulse gun
Fire extinguisher
Hydraulic spreader/cutter (combi tool)
First Aid kit
Light equipment
(source: http://www.vatrogasni-portal.com/news.php?readmore=2218 )
"

I rest my case

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 20:46:17

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Lane Splitting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.