Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Why all the hate?
06/23/15 at 13:27:58

Shheesh....
So its fricking hard to buy a truck with a standard transmission!!! And even when the maker says they offer it... its so limited as to what you have to buy to get it.. that practically.. you can't.

This is depressing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Why all the hate?
Reply #1 - 06/23/15 at 15:04:41

My feelings, exactly.

BUT, a guy I know and trust, who also likes a standard, told me that the automatic transmission s out now will actually out pull a standard.
No, not ALL the automatic transmission s, but they are out there.
Me? I just like changing gears. I miss vent windows, kick panel vents.
The guy I mentioned has a Ram, diesel, firrst gear, come off the clutch easy and roll, no gas.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 06/23/15 at 15:21:44

Yep, I found that out a couple years ago.  Ford quit selling a manual in their f-150 in 08.   Embarrassed

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 06/23/15 at 19:34:13

With all the smart phones, fast foods and a babe in the front seat can't see how anybody has an extra hand to shift a manual anymore. Wink
Automatics are the best thing that have happened to distracted drivers.
Miss a good 4 speed on the back of a worked chevy 350. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 06/24/15 at 06:04:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/23/15 at 15:04:41:
My feelings, exactly.

BUT, a guy I know and trust, who also likes a standard, told me that the automatic transmission s out now will actually out pull a standard.
The guy I mentioned has a Ram, diesel, firrst gear, come off the clutch easy and roll, no gas.

this just this....

Also .. they may be out there.. but FORD does NOT have them... been there done that.

PS: Sometimes, after riding the bike to work several days in a row.. I find myself downshifting the truck...er... I know... silly

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/24/15 at 06:04:59

For many years, the cars I liked to race, the only option for holding power was a standard.
Now there are new clutch packs and mods to run full line pressure. People have even hacked the TCU to change shift points and use different maps for racing or for street use on the fly.

Having driven both down the drag strip I'll take a standard. There's no challenge with an auto. You mash the pedal and then sit there. Where's the fun in that?

--Steve

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/24/15 at 06:30:53

Of course we're mechanical Luddites,...we ride Savages... Grin...
My 95' Metro, has manual tranny, manual steering, cable operated clutch, roll up windows, and no car alarm... it even has an ash tray...
I'm gonna' run it into the ground... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/24/15 at 21:20:47

Pine wrote on 06/24/15 at 06:04:02:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/23/15 at 15:04:41:
My feelings, exactly.

this just this....

Also .. they may be out there.. but FORD does NOT have them... been there done that.

PS: Sometimes, after riding the bike to work several days in a row.. I find myself downshifting the truck...er... I know... silly

Man, ain't a thing wrong with downshifting a truck. As long as you slip into neutral, goose it to synch , clutch, shift, and, off the clutch. Lots quicker and easier on the synchronizers. Works on a five speed Mack, heck, no clutch on a lot of shifts.
In fact, I drove from a location pulling a oilfield trailer..18 wheeler, sitting out in the nowheres, I was last out, stepped on the clutch and something broke.. years before cell phones, Got air up, pushed the buttons, pulled the kill and jerked it into gear, shoved in the kill and mashed the gas.
Fun drive back to town.
Those trucks took such a beating.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #8 - 07/02/15 at 22:49:07

New cars suck for the most part.  A truck with a stick?  Forget it!  The last one I bought was a new 2007 (I think, may have been '06) Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl Prerunner with a 5 speed manual.  They also made the 4wd in manual.  I have a Tundra now and the auto trans had major problems before 100k miles.

In cars there are a few small sports cars that come with a REAL stickshift:  Scion is one...the tc and the frs which is a really cool car.  The Honda Civic Si comes ONLY in manual shift, which I think is great.  Mazda MX-5 (miata) still comes in a stick.  I own one of the old ones and it's lots of fun.  

I have read that the Chevy Colorado does come with a 6 speed manual (believe it when I see it).  They are supposed to be offering a 4 cyl diesel version and 4wd.  If that's the case I know what I want:  4 cylinder diesel, 6 speed manual 4wd, black on black!  Where do I place my order?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/03/15 at 07:41:07

Australia has some really nice little pickups. But, we can't get those, either.
And importing to them is awful , too. Sell an Aussie a modern bike and import tariffs will eat it up.

But, heres some of why we dont get what we want.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

I, too, just prefer a standard. I feel like im actually the equipment operator.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 07/03/15 at 15:33:50

Have to work a clutch pedal, a gear shift AND talk on a cell phone while eating lunch? Forget it! It's hard enough for these morons to have to turn the steering wheel and work a gas pedal. The world is just too lazy for the manufacturers to build and sell manuals anymore. Besides, in todays view, driving a manual means you couldn't afford an automatic. We can't have the neighbors thinking we're poor and work for a living, can we?  Shocked

I, too, prefer a manual but an automatic in traffic, especially after a long, hard day at work, can be a lot easier to drive.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #11 - 07/06/15 at 07:25:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/03/15 at 07:41:07:
But, heres some of why we dont get what we want.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

It's amazing how few people know about this.  Then again, most people don't want to drive a small pickup truck, but this is the reason they no longer exist in the US.  I guess part of it is lack of demand, but you can't tell me there aren't millions of lawn guys out there that wouldn't like the option.  Especially when gas goes up to $4 a gallon.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/06/15 at 09:50:42

I know about a lot of stuff most don't. Most spend a lot or time telling me I'm wrong.

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #13 - 07/08/15 at 08:49:37

Driving my cage ('05 Sentra 1.8L 4) on the freeways of Dallas, an experience akin to being a duck in a shooting gallery, I love my auto o/d transmission. I can keep full attention on the madness around me with hands on the wheel. The way I drive I get crazy good mileage, too. It is a fantastic, trouble-free car.

But the car has power windows, with no option even back  in 2005 for manual roll-ups. They work perfectly. But they will betray me some day, and it will be raining, and it will be on a Sunday. Me no like-ey.

For many years I drove a '64 F100 pickup, three on the tree, with a clutch spring so hard that after an hour of stop and go traffic my left leg was trembling like a beaten dog. My left leg was so big I walked lopsided. And driving with a Big Gulp, lighting a cigarette with the phone ringing could be a challenge. That was enough manual truck trans for me.

But I believe in freedom of choice, so Ford, give these guys a manual!

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/08/15 at 10:49:31

Repairing power windows usually isn't that hard.
First, check power to the switch, because every open/ close cycle flexes the wires.
Really, checking power to the motor is the quick check. That proves the wire and switch.
But, if you can move the window by hand, you just proved the regulator is bad.
Be very cool with the plastic lugs glued to the window.
A pair of C clamp design vise grips with cut off fingers from leather gloves, a rag to protect paint on the top of the door. This will hold the window  up.
They're usually riveted in, but bolts will usually work. You don't wanna buy that rivet gun.
Yes, electric Windows eventually fail. Manual fail, too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 20:45:07

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Why all the hate?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.