Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Cam chain - Replacement (Read 694 times)
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Re: Cam chain - Replacement
Reply #30 - 07/11/20 at 09:28:54

I am confident that I have now got the timing correct but I will let you judge before I put on the valve cover plate or whatever the correct name for the top plate is. It is now also possible to confirm the TDC position with a small rod inserted through the spark plug hole.

timing_markings_correct.png
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #31 - 07/11/20 at 09:32:28

I have not fastened the cam chain sprocket just in case you guys spot something that is wrong but I think I got everything lined up the way it should now.

cam_shaft_markings.png
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 07/11/20 at 11:36:19

As long as your cam chain tensioner is installed, all chain slack taken up, and your marks line up as you show in your pictures, it's good.  You must be able to rotate the engine three or four turns, stop at the TDC mark, and observe all the marks in alignment as shown.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #33 - 07/11/20 at 12:20:28

Chain tensioner is not in place yet but there is almost no slack at all so things shouldn't change when I install it. I will torque the screws on the sprocket tomorrow and install my new tensioner and rotate the engine a bunch of turns Smiley

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #34 - 07/12/20 at 11:50:54

OK, the new chain tensioner is basically in place but I haven't torqued the screws or release the spring and plunger yet. The cam sprocket is torqued but I have not bent up the wings on the locking washer yet.

new_tensioner.png
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #35 - 07/12/20 at 11:52:46

I turned the engine around gently a few turns and every time the markings visible through the generator cover align, the cam shaft markings are horizontal

cam_timings_confirmed.png
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #36 - 07/12/20 at 11:55:23

About the torque specs. The Clymer manual states two widely different forces for the two scres involved. The one accessible from the outside  of the engine holding the upper end of the "tensioner rail" and the one attaching the plunger to the lower end.

cam_chain_bolts_torque.png
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #37 - 07/12/20 at 11:57:37

But in the only available picture they are both referred to as "bolts". How hard can it be to use the same nomenclature in the picture as the torque specs?!??

cam_chain_bolts.png
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #38 - 07/17/20 at 21:53:34

It's time to fasten the cam chain sprocket on the crank shaft but what is the best way to lock the crank shaft? Since the nut is left hand threaded I assume I can not use the hex bolt on the opposite side to apply counter force since that might make that bolt come loose?

Should I try and lodge something fairly soft between the gears again?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 07/18/20 at 06:34:41

Some use a copper coin, I cut a belt and folded the leather.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #40 - 07/19/20 at 23:58:09

I managed to flatten a copper pipe and used that to lock the gears so I could start to fasten the nut but I got a bit unsure of the torque specs for that nut so I will check with you guys first. At first I thought the nut sitting in front of the cam chain sprocket was the "crank shaft left-hand flywheel nut" since it is left hand threaded but it wasn't reasonable to torque that to 140-160Nm so when double checking the exploded views and torque specs in the Clymer manual I now suspect that nut is the "primary drive gear nut" specced at 90-110 Nm which looks better but still very high. Should I really use close to 100 Nm to that 30mm left hand threaded nut?

primary_drive.png
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #41 - 07/19/20 at 23:59:17

Here are the torque specs that doesn't quite explain it

engine_torque_specs_2.png
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #42 - 07/20/20 at 07:36:03

You are correct. It is the primary drive gear nut. 90-110 NM.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #43 - 07/20/20 at 11:38:11

Then I'm guessing that the nut that holds the clucth is the one referred to as "clutch locknut". Do the torque specs in the attached picture look alright to you? Just wanna double check so I don't mess anything up

clutch_and_drive_gear_torque.png
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #44 - 09/13/20 at 11:10:36

Today I finally torqued the clutch nut, the primary drive gear nut and the clutch plate. I also changed the oil filter and prepared everything I could think of before it is time to put on the left and right side cover on the engine but before I do that I would appreciate if you could tell me if there are any last things I should check before putting everything back together? Are there any springs, washers or anything that most people get wrong the first time? I know of the washer that fits on both starter motor axle and the gears that connects to the flywheel assembly but are there any other things?

I have removed the clip to release the new cam chain tensioner. I have bent up one side of the washer behind the clutch nut to keep it from coming loose. I have torqued all screws to the correct specification as best I can.

starter_gears.png
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 10:45:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain - Replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.