Send Topic Print
Front Suspension (Read 128 times)
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Front Suspension
09/12/20 at 09:51:41

I've read this post re: suspension - http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1498156004/0

I have the linear racetech springs and 15W fork oil and plan to replace them, but I can't find the process documented anywhere. This is a first for me, so I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Can anyone point me to a video or instructions?

My plan is to see how it performs and decide later to add cartridge emulators and/or lower the front for cafe build. I already love the change from going to tracker handlebars.

Thanks for any help.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Front Suspension
Reply #1 - 09/12/20 at 11:35:33

Do you have a shop manual? Changing the oil is pretty straightforward and in the shop manual.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #2 - 09/12/20 at 12:19:03

Thanks. Just downloaded the shop manual...I was hoping I could drain it with it still on the tree, but that doesn't seem like an option  Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/12/20 at 12:42:13

Armen can..
He drills holes in everything.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/12/20 at 14:13:30

You can drain out the bottom- you have to remove the front axle and take out the bolts that hold the stork ice tubes in place. Yo will need to make the holder to keep the tubes from rotating whil you loosen the bolts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #5 - 09/12/20 at 18:20:00

Dave wrote on 09/12/20 at 14:13:30:
hold the stork ice tubes.

But how's the stork gonna deliver babies if I have her viles? Lol

Stock tubes? I seriously have no clue what I'm doing, just know I need to get the oil out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 09/12/20 at 18:51:06

I have no idea where all those typos came from......I tried to post using my cell phone, and evidently that didn't go very well.

You take out the large hex tops of the fork tubes - after you jack the bike up to prevent it from falling down when you release the spring tension.  Be careful as there is some pre-load and the caps are going to want to jump out of the hole.  Then remove the washers and springs.

Remove the axle, and there is an allen head screw in the bottom of the forks.  Those screws hold in the damping rods that are steel tubes that have orifices drilled in them to control the oil flow - when the screws are removed the oil will drain out.

You need to make a tool to hold the top of the damping rod while you are loosening the allen head screws.  The tool can be made from a hex bolt head with a shaft welded on so you can extend it down into the fork to reach the tube.

I am not at home to measure the hex size that is needed....I can do that when I return - somewhere on this forum this has been discussed before.  Have you looked in the Tech Section?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 09/12/20 at 19:06:11

Or you can just remove the tubes and dump the oil.  

1. Remove the front wheel.
2. Remove the fender.
3. Remove the caliper from the left fork lower.  No need to remove the line. Just let it hang there.
4. Remove the fork caps.
5. Loosen the pinch bolt on the lower triple clamp and slide the fork tube out.

Easy peasy.

But if you decide to drain from the bottom, it's best to aneal or replace the copper washers on the lower bolts.

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #8 - 09/12/20 at 21:32:44

I picked up a steel braid brake line. Sounds like a good time to do that too. I've bled brakes on a mountain bike before. I assume it's similar process. I had a syringe to suction the line, and create a vacuum to get air bubbles out. How would I do that on the S40 though?

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #9 - 09/13/20 at 01:18:43

The tool needed to hold the inner part of the front suspension can me made from an M16 threaded rod and a couple of M16 nuts. The outside dimensions of a standard metric M16 nut is 24mm which is exactly what is needed for the fork part.

You MAY be able to loosen the allen screw from the outside without the tool but it will be almost impossible to re-attach them without it. Since I have no equipment or skills to weld I bought a 1 meter long stainless M16 rod and two nuts that I had a guy weld for me. One nut in each end of the rod as can be seen in the picture.

One of the hardest things when I changed the gaskets and oil on my bike was to get the fork legs out of the steering head (?). There were some extra aluminium spacers that were stuck so I had the basically chisel them of the fork legs before I could take them out.

M16_fork_tool.png
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 09/13/20 at 07:19:58

Remove the forks, one at a time. Dump and pump. It really is that simple. Refill each fork with oil, maintaining the desired air gap. The OEM air gap is 75mm. With those springs you can increase the gap to 100-120mm. Suzuki used such a small air gap to try to reduce fork dive. The straight rate springs will have a lot less dive under braking.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/13/20 at 13:51:32

Drain and remove tank
Dump oil
lay bike down
Lift tires..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #12 - 09/13/20 at 15:52:06

@gary that is now my plan. Thanks for your original post. It's what gave me the direction to fix suspension as my second project. I assume the air gap is measured after the spring is in and before the space, correct?

@justin Idk of this is a joke, but my mind is running through the feasibility.  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/13/20 at 16:30:03

I told my friend it would be something that people might think was just a joke.
Depending on what your setup is, it could be quite feasible. Without help, without a shop, come along, proper stuff, maybe not. I do know what rigging up to bust stuff out is no fun. If you can safely invert it, tank, battery and oil is easier than a fork takedown.
What about small tubing and a vacuum pump sucking on a mason jar with 2 pieces of brass tubing soldered into the lid?
Once the caps come off, with a come along holding the front up, pull springs, drop tubing in, pull a vacuum on the jar, oil falls in, lower the bike, work it out.
When you're done you have a brake bleeding tool.
If you know an asthmatic those nebulizer compressors work fine. Reverse the plumbing and you're golden.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 09/13/20 at 16:38:55

gtenginerd wrote on 09/13/20 at 15:52:06:
@gary that is now my plan. Thanks for your original post. It's what gave me the direction to fix suspension as my second project. I assume the air gap is measured after the spring is in and before the space, correct?

@justin Idk of this is a joke, but my mind is running through the feasibility.  Grin

Take the measurement with the fork tube in a compressed position, with the spring out. After you are happy with the oil height you add the spring and spacers.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 15:55:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Suspension

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!