Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Cam chain - Replacement (Read 673 times)
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Cam chain - Replacement
Reply #45 - 09/13/20 at 12:09:26

Put some grease on the loose washer on the starter side to ''glue'' it in place when you put the cover back on. The magnet can pull it off and it gets into the windings. (BAD THING )
Not a bad idea to practice getting the left side cover in place a couple times before you put on the new gasket, the strong magnet will move it around while you are trying to get in place.
When puting the clutch cover back on be sure the little linkage for the clutch cable is UP. It will fall down by itself and you will have to remove, or at least loosen the whole thing to turn it back up.
And use anti seize on everything, most of all the header bolts! And just use a 1/4" drive rachet on those bolts, you DON'T want to mess up those threads.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #46 - 09/13/20 at 12:15:26

You have the washer/s on the wrong shaft.  The idler gear shaft should not have washers.  The washers go on the overtorque clutch shaft.  If you leave the washers on the idler gear shaft, the system will bind and you could also possibly break the cover or case.  Both washers go on the overtorque gear, one inboard, one outboard.

starter_gears_washer_wrong.png

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #47 - 09/13/20 at 12:22:08

This illustration should clarifiy.

Starter_Assembly.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #48 - 09/14/20 at 03:19:00

The illustration is a bit weird....it shows the torque limiter assembly way out of alignment with it's location.  The illustration makes it confusing.

The washers prevent the splined shaft on the torque limiter assembly from chewing up the aluminum cases.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #49 - 09/14/20 at 05:32:36

Thank you guys. You saved me a lot of grief and frustration! I will fix this and then attach the covers.

Should I keep the surface where the gasket seal completely dry (wipe with acetone/brake clean or similar) or should I apply s small amount of new motor oil for better seal?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 04:33:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain - Replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.