Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Voodoo Vintage hardtails (Read 1040 times)
Whistles83
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Voodoo Vintage hardtails
Reply #30 - 04/09/16 at 05:59:08

I am also doing a VooDoo hardtail build... Should have some pics that ive posted on here.. Im using the stock tires and rims... doing this on the cheap..

Im digging you bike so far.

Whistles

Castleton, Ontario, Canada
'88 savage in rough shape,
rebuild, revamp.
  IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Reply #31 - 04/10/16 at 08:14:49

I'd assume you also dug up the other VV related threads on this forum. In a couple of them people discuss running into clearance issues at the point when they first try and put a chain on it and put the rear end together. I recently got through that point of the project so I figured I'd share my experience. I am sure that to anyone that's done a few of these this is commonly understood,
   The first issue people used to mention involves chain clearance over a bottom cross support piece that some choose to weld in place. When mine was shipped that piece was really just a spacer to keep the thing together right in shipping. My chain runs clear and smooth. I will probably run a small chain tensioner that mounts to the side rail instead of the big spring loaded one that most seem to run with the big bump to clear the cross piece.
   The side to side clearances are another story. First off just cause your frame rails are a perfect 8.5" up higher in the loop, the measurement you need to pay attention to is at the bottom. They tend to creep in a bit as they run their length.  The little blue print that David Roy(great guy) sends with the tail is accurate. The key is getting your wheel spacers right. The side to side clearance between the frame rail and chain is pretty tight. The spacers are the critical component to getting everything to go together. Just make sure you are making measurements from the bottom of the rails or the axle plates and not the top when you're trying to center everything else. The inner frame rails should be 8.5" at the bottom also.
   Keep in mind that the axle plates aren't specifically made for our bike. They are designed to accommodate a 3/4" Harley axle. You will need a bushing to accommodate your 17mm stock axle  (get one from VV. They're cheap and easy). Also you won't be able to use close to all of the length of the slot for the chain adjuster cause the nuts that hold down the sprocket will hit it. I've seen at least a couple of others get longer chain adjusters only to realize that it's the nuts that limit travel. There's sufficient travel as is to tighten the chain.

image_019.jpeg

87 Savage currently receiving a total rebuild
79 XS 650 Special (stock)
  IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Reply #32 - 04/10/16 at 08:43:06

Whistles,
I started this "budget" project three winters ago. I also intended to use the stock wheels. I even went as far as getting new tires mounted on them and having a beautiful fender made by Led Sled that fits the rear like a glove all now collecting dust in my shop). My attitude was that although I had seen a few people advise against using the stock wheels that mine would be different cause I think I'm different and so therefore I wouldn't have a problem. I put my first roller together and man did I think it looked sweet. I was sending my buddies pics etc. only after staring at it for a while did it dawn on me just how low the clearance was below the frame tubes. If you use those little grind bars he sends you we're talking barely 2" in reality and that's with no one sitting on it. It really doesn't look bad until you think about it, how are are the potholes in Canada? Cause in Massachusetts we've got ones that border on sink holes. Not to mention most speed bumps here are taller than 2". I wouldn't even want to turn into or out of a driveway with a little incline with only that much clearance. I was stubborn about accepting this reality about my project and it cost me around $500 and set me back a year. There was a guy, nickythegreek on this forum that was running all over the Midwest putting real miles on one of these things with stock wheels. His thread is in the cafe but he hasn't been around for a while. The guy had stones for doing real miles on a chopper, it did appear that most of his miles were on nice smooth highways and not what we get in N.E. And Canada.

IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #33 - 05/31/16 at 04:21:48

Any more progress on this?  I'm working on a VV roller and just bought a GS550 wheel off of eBay and the VV axle bushings.  Appreciate the info so far!

IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Reply #34 - 05/31/16 at 05:48:54

Hi, thanks for asking. I've actually been finishing up on the sheet metal this week. It was actually starting to look like a bike again before I had to take it apart to do weld in some tight spots. Also took some filler rod and the old grinder and cleaned up a bunch of the horrible looking welds that were on the small peice of factory frame that remains. That quick and easy task was well worth the results. Some of the welds on that thing looked like some 15 year old Japanese kid must have done them blindfolded 30 years ago. Went with the tc bros fake oil tank, as generic a peice as it is it happened to be the exact size that I could get to fit so had I whipped something up on my own it would have been pretty much identical so I went with it. I also used tc bros air bag seat mount. It required a lot more finagling to make it work then I'd hoped. They call it a "universal" piece but what I found is that the "spring" is quite tall for a "short chop" like this and so the mount requires fabbing up a bar which drops down the mounting point lower onto the frame so that the seat is something close to level. This required dropping the mount down into the area that the fake oil tank is supposed to be.

IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #35 - 05/31/16 at 06:50:07

Thanks!  Always looking for threads from those that have gone before  Grin

I'm in sort of a weird position.  I bought one complete bike (a '96), but he threw in the VV kit, an already cut frame that included the title, and a complete front end.

So I'm doing a stripped down bobber-ish job on the complete bike, but also working on the VV half-bike as well.  That'll probably be a long time coming, since I have to buy an engine, chain conversion, and all the other bits and pieces to make it into a complete bike.  The GS wheel will at least get into "roller" status Smiley

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your progress.  It's looking awesome!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #36 - 05/31/16 at 17:55:48

I think if I were doing this build I'd stay with the stock wheels and gain the needed ground clearance by 4or6 inch extended fork tubes less money, less hassle.The longer wheel base would enhance the ride on a hardtail anyway.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Reply #37 - 06/01/16 at 04:42:11

I went with a chain tensioner that I got from TroyFab in Rhode Island. It is a nicely made piece. I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived and I pulled it out of the package to find that it is nice and heavy and well made. It also mounts to the side rail which is nice on VV tails.  The tensioner isn't necessary for chain clearance issues within the frame as it was on a couple of the other VV related threads on this forum.  The chain runs clearly through the frame without it but is a long chain and I'm running a pretty full fender hence the tensioner.

image_030.jpeg

IP Logged
Jeremy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Philadelphia
Reply #38 - 06/01/16 at 15:11:02

Looks great!  Was your concern that chain slack would hit the fender?

IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Reply #39 - 06/02/16 at 05:00:32

The clearances between the chain and frame rails are tight so I figured the tensioner was a good idea to help keep everything running in the right places. Im not worried about the chain slapping it but I'm running a full length fender and there is only so far you can go in the axle slots. This will allow me to tighten the tension on the chain as it stretches without worrying about running out of room under the fender.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:48:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Voodoo Vintage hardtails

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.