Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015 (Read 3292 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015
Reply #195 - 09/24/15 at 09:20:07

I am sure that MM can ride 400 miles on either of his bikes on roads that allow 60-70 mph speeds.  I have ridden both bikes and he has windshields, cushy seats, and the bikes have no problem going 100 miles between fuel stops.

Once at the ride area....the 400 mile days are few and far between.  I have ridden some long days with MM and Oldfeller, and we only get 250 miles on the bikes in a day.  Occasionally we may get on a 4 lane road on the way to something - but most of the riding is on the 1.5 or 2 lane backroads and speeds are generally moderate.  As the group gets bigger, it becomes harder to stay together and the pace slows down a bit.  And.....if we don't know where the heck we are going and how to get there......the stops to look at the map and program the GPS can cut down a bit on the riding progress as well!  (I just bought a used Garmin Nuvi 500......maybe that will help!).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #196 - 09/24/15 at 09:38:53

Dave is still cogitating on the idea, he hates them long long drives just to get to the riding part .....

And now he has quantified why we get such concentrated enjoyment out of the NC mountain runs --- more FUN per mile than anywhere else in the world.

...........   ???

And he bought his Garmin so he won't have to gratefully kiss the pavement, ever again.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #197 - 09/24/15 at 10:03:36

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/24/15 at 09:38:53:
Dave is still cogitating on the idea, he hates them long long drives just to get to the riding part .....

While I would not be opposed to long rides on the 4 lane between different ride areas.....I am not a fan of riding on the interstate once we reach the camp area.  Riding a long way out means a long ride back!

When we are at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground....the rides on roads like 215 from the campground over to Brevard are what I really enjoy.  Not much traffic, lots of curves and hills, good scenery.  The Blue Ridge Parkway in that area is also very nice and not too crowded, and even going over to Route 28 to ride up to the Dragon is cool.  Once we get to that area......riding on Interstate 40 just doesn't appeal to me much - too darn many semi's and campers going waaay too fast and concrete barriers walls keeping you really close together!

When were are in the Deals Gap area - The Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway are great.....and when we can eventually find Wayah Road that is also fun.  Happy Valley is a nice road - but it dumps us out in a town full of cars and traffic lights....and the route home is full of slow moving campers!

It is good to be able to go to those two different areas...they both have their merits.  And now we know the best BBQ places in Waynesville and Robbinsville!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #198 - 09/24/15 at 12:09:24

springman wrote on 09/24/15 at 08:32:22:
MM and Oldfeller. That all sounds real good. I am looking forward to getting together with as many as possible at the Sisters. I think youzguyz likes the idea also.

I've been following the discussion about the Twisted Sisters run on this thread.

Yes.. I like the idea of having as many as wants to come to actually make the trip.

I'll do all I can to make it as much fun for everyone.. without getting in any-body's way of doing what they want.

I can do recon before the trip if you want camping areas looked at.

You want a ride leader?  I can do that.  And I don't need any maps or GPS.  I know this area.. very well.
If you have places/roads you would like to see?  Let me know, and I'll get it on the route I'm taking.  Otherwise, I just go where I want and you follow.
You want to go faster than I am?  Not a problem.. I know I am not the most skilled rider around.  Go on ahead and stop if you come to a corner and wait for me.. and I'll point which way to go next.

You just want a route that you can follow on a map or your GPS?  I can do that, and point out places you may want to stop or eat.  

Or put together a route of your own, and I can look it over if you want.. make suggestions which you are welcome to use, or not.

I do suggest you get a Hill Country Butler Map or GPS, especially if you want to explore on your own.  Texas is... big.. and not as many roads per square mile as NC/TN.  Take a look at two separate windows of Google maps at the same scale of the two areas.  Very different.

So.. come on down ya'll!!  You will be welcome!   Cool

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #199 - 09/24/15 at 13:27:11

Dave, how many times have you ever been threatened by dumping your bike into a bunch of cacti on a bad sweeper corner before?

Where sand in the turns is expected not exceptional?

Where you run over armadillo, scorpions and rattlesnakes rather than bunny rabbits, chipmonks and squirrels?

When you wake up you check your shoes, not for moisture but for residents?

........ and if you don't feel like you're alone in your sleeping bag, then you be VERY sure to move very very very slowly when you getting out of it.

Wink

....... maybe we are getting soft and lazy......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #200 - 09/24/15 at 13:45:29

The roads that the bearded one took us on were clean even though it rained the day before.  Some roads were so clean they still had a few inches of water across them.   Shocked

All the critters were behind fences.   Cool

And only the log sawing competition got outta hand.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #201 - 09/24/15 at 15:30:38

It is obvious that you Westerners need some education on how to tell a proper mountain tale.

Was the water deep enough to float a rowboat?   if yes, then include.   You did see a boat at some point in time, right?

Was the water deep enough that you got splashed up to your knees?     Did it discommode the local rattlesnakes and the scorpions?   Details are important to a good yarn, ya know.

So, you had a flooded section of road that got you wet up to the knees, and the scorpions were catching rides on the discommoded rattlesnakes that were swimming by you and one jumped off on Dave, but MM caught it and dressed it for supper.  

The rattlesnake, of course, not the scorpions.   There isn't enough meat on a scorpion to mess with.  

Besides, Dave, --- he lost track of all them scorpions until he went in later on to take a shower.

Roll Eyes

..... now everybody will want to go on the trip just to see how the story ends .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #202 - 09/24/15 at 15:47:34

Well Oldfeller. We did have to ford a stream on our hill country ride. I think MM has some pictures of it. And if you saw the video of the guy riding his dirt bike in the ocean, well, not to make the guy feel bad, but our water ride was much more exciting. Heck, we had alligators to the left, cotton mouths on the right, couple of mountain lions behind us and a herd of buffalo in front of us. But heck, this is Texas, that's just an everyday ride in the hill country.

Come on down, we'll get you some stories fro you grand children. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #203 - 09/24/15 at 15:49:44

So how did we make it across safely you ask. Well let me tell ya ....
Dang it's late I gotta go.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #204 - 09/24/15 at 16:30:07

You mean this video?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #205 - 09/24/15 at 19:31:18

Gosh, I've seem MM do much much worse than that just crossing the Bridge to No-Where .....

Legs flying up in the air, chaps flying up in the air,  MM flying WAY up in the air, Dew Bombs flying WAY WAY up in the air ..... then exploding and spinning, spewing Dew everywhere when they landed on the pavement.

That stream crossing was positively tame for MM.  

Got any flying stuff from when he went over the cattle grate and busted his shock?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #206 - 09/24/15 at 19:35:37

Now listen up, you ignorant Easterner fellers,  if you are going too fast and you have to ditch it, try to hit these fat chubby cacti rather than these long needle pointy cacti --- these long stiff pointy suckers will poke slam through your leg if you hit them at any speed at all --- plus their juice is slightly poisonous if it gets into your blood stream.  

People can die from this long pointy kind as you are easy a hundred miles from the nearest hospital where we are right now.   Puncture a major artery or vein and you won't get there in time.  

Now the soft chubby kind just leave a bunch of painful needles stuck in you that a doctor has to remove pretty quick like before they get all infected.   It'll hurt, but it won't kill you.

It's good on road rash friction burns though, if you have some of those -- aloe you know.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #207 - 09/24/15 at 19:39:46

Well, the bottom of the stream was coated with slime.... but we did it anyway.
I like all the rides we have done.....
Now perhaps we could do some northern ones, or maybe someone is located down in key west!  yeah!
Beach cruisin' and watchin' bikini clad college girls playing volleyball....

Sorry... dozed off there a bit..... LOL Smiley
I did however ride up in Colorado when I was stationed there oh so many years ago... was a great riding adventure.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #208 - 09/24/15 at 19:45:04

Well, did you know that the gulf coast is on the way to Texas if you go by the south route?

We could come down and see you, then continue onwards on the great trek.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #209 - 09/24/15 at 20:06:31

I'm not adverse to that...

I have a back yard for tents... and two side yards...not very big, but fenced in with a 6' privacy fence.

Smiley

I have a fold out couch in the living room and one spare bedroom at the moment (son is thinking of moving back here).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 06:37:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #2, Late Summer 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.