Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015 (Read 4598 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015
Reply #45 - 01/12/15 at 22:17:54

Ya oldFeller

MM, it sounds like you guys are convalescing, do you even want a bunch of people to descend upon you while you and  Ander are healing up?

I feel like a "Convalescent" right now !  Sad

I got the stitches out today and this evening cleaned all the debris out of the cracks and crevices , then sollowed some drugs and sat down with the computer to get my mind off the nerve inputs.  Tongue

When I start loading for the "Swedish Rifle" ,I'll probably go with a 115 gr./GC/RFP bullet (LEE) made for the M-1 carbine  at least till Anders ask for MORE POWER . Grin   I deer hunt with  55GR/SP/.223 Rem. and haven't lost one in 10 years and have taken some 200lb'ers with no problem.  You know the old saying "not what their hit with , its where their hit"   So I'll have Anders working on Accuracy every chance I get.   Then we'll go to the 170gr bullet (LEE) made for the 30-30.  Thing is He don't want to "JAR" his face for at least 6 month or so. Wink  That was a Serious lick he took. Sad

Looks like the Texas ride is on (Rain or Shine).  As long as its warm , it will be alright.  You remember that NC. we did where it rained and fogged a lot ?  That still was a GREAT TRIP !  Smiley  I was tring to remember how many years ago that was  Huh, but they all run together - and that's OK  Wink !!!

When I lived in El Paso it rained 3-5 days about the last of Oct. and one day in Feb. ,,, for the two years I was there.  Wink
So Many Neat places to Ride and so little time to Ride ... What are we to do ?  Smiley  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #46 - 01/14/15 at 00:19:32

I think I covered his needs for MORE POWER with the initial supply of rounds.   He does not need to be shooting them at all for years and years and years until his bones heal up really well.

If memory serves, the LEE style land rider bullets did well with the Swiss rifle, well enough anyway.

Lead bullets never show the full accuracy potential of a rifle, only jacketed bullets yield the best BC and long range performance and accuracy.

But you can't beat lead for close in plinking at the most reasonable cost.

==========================================

I just loaded up 136 rounds of 30-06 using a 150 grain jacketed slug (M2 to be specific) with only 40 grains of powder (IMR 7383) so the rounds are below the book sub-rounds and should be very easy on recovering wounded type people to shoot.

I'll make up some similar below the book sub-rounds for the 7mm-08 so the wounded won't get any more wounded.

(me too)

Wink

7mm-08 loads are only 35 grains of IMR 7383, this is way below listed book minimums -- might not even make it up to the old original 7mm mauser speeds but I bet it doesn't rock anybody's boat to be a shooting them.   Gentle as a baby, seriously.  

I also made a dozen each of the whole range (by 2 grain increments) between these dubby rounds going all the way up to the full bore 150 grain rounds I brought last time, the ones that walked the scope in the rings so badly.

I am interested in accuracy potential -- does a sweet spot exist with that particular rifle, bullet and powder (I gots lots of the bullets and powder) so if I can determine a sweet spot for accuracy I'd make up a bunch of them.

« Last Edit: 01/19/15 at 21:56:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #47 - 01/24/15 at 10:18:18

I cut and pasted this stuff from the thread upstream ..... we got 3 trips planned this year and I am considering how many of these same people plan to go on the Texas trip two months earlier and what effect it will have on the later trips.   Please scratch your head bones and figure out which ones of the above you are going to attend and indicate the same.   We are not too far out from having to reserve space at the Blue Ridge Campground .....

So tentatively......this is the schedule.  Arrival day of members and planned activities can be inserted as they are determined.

Wed June 10th - MMRanch accepting visitors.
Thur June 11th -
Fri June 12th -
Sat June 13th - Pack up and head to Blue Ridge Campground
Sun June 14th -
Mon June 15th -
Tue June 16th -
Wed June 17th - Pack up and head home.

Tentative list of participants

Verslagen
Lancer
Old_Rider
Dave
Oldfeller
MM

« Last Edit: 01/24/15 at 12:58:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #48 - 01/25/15 at 04:13:36

verslagen1 wrote on 11/06/14 at 15:25:42:
So, 13th of June at blue ridge?
Probably beginning Whens day at MMRanch?
5 hr ride to blue ridge
Ending the following Whens day?

Do you have a tentative travel schedule of when you will be here in Oklahoma on the way to NC, and what days you need to be headed back to  CA after the ride ?  I have penciled in 2 days to get to MM's but we might be able to do it in one long day.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #49 - 01/25/15 at 08:34:09

This is just a thought, and that is all it is .....

Verslagen is driving multiple days each way just to get places --- eating up a good chunk of his two week vacation.   Each stop he is making on his journey is about worth 3-4 days worth of interstate driving from his perspective (to get there and then to get back).

Could you guys maybe re-schedule the south Texas trip to be leading into the Tennessee portion of the Dragon trip?   Or shuffle them around some in some other sensible fashion (it is too too cold for the mountains for sure with your original dates) and wind up with some new dates that are end to end so he doesn't waste 3-4 additional days of Verslagen's vacation time just driving back and forth?

This way he wouldn't be killing an unnecessary 3-4 days of his vacation time just going back and forth then back and forth again later.

It's not like any of these things are set firmly in stone yet, although shortly they will start to solidify (when reservations are made and vacation time is reserved).

Think of Verslagen's journey as a dotted line with 3 major stopping dots on it.    South Texas, Lynchburg Tennessee, Blue Ridge Dragon area.

Consider mebbe planning it that way ..... cut the man a break.   And please pick some times when it is tolerably warm at all 3 dots.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #50 - 01/25/15 at 09:40:20

20 hr drive, I'll split into 2 days.
If I get in after dark, you'll need to shoot flares...
as google maps has your place in a haller next to the creek.

10 hrs to MMRanch between the 2 of us will be no problem.

(mike is going meet up with mike and go to mike's place)

This is going to be a fun year!

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #51 - 01/25/15 at 20:30:21

Grin

Versey ,  Your right .     That creek boarders our place for a bout 1/2 mile before making a right turn when the property line makes a left turn and runs up a hill.    but  ...   where the creek meets the road so does "M and M Ranch rd.  Wink    Our drive way is only about 3/10's of a mile and ends at the house.

But if ya call we'll turn loose a couple shotgun blast in your honor .  Wink

It's easy to find .

What do you think about the "Domino the trips thingie ? "  Huh

Three Mikes all in the same place is always Fun !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #52 - 01/25/15 at 20:53:01

sorry... was talking to lancer.

your place don't look to bad as far as google.maps go.
at least it shows a house somewhere near the flag.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #53 - 01/26/15 at 08:07:33

verslagen1 wrote on 01/25/15 at 09:40:20:
20 hr drive, I'll split into 2 days.
If I get in after dark, you'll need to shoot flares...
as google maps has your place in a haller next to the creek.

10 hrs to MMRanch between the 2 of us will be no problem.

(mike is going meet up with mike and go to mike's place)

This is going to be a fun year!

I'll print you a couple of maps with descending scale that will lead you right to the door, or you can always give me a heads up about 20 miles out and I can meet you when you come off of I-40.   If it is a DARK and/or foggy night it can be hard to catch some turns even when you know where they are supposed to be.

That creek is the North Canadian River on the back side of the property  ...  little bit of quick sand thrown in just for fun too.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #54 - 01/26/15 at 08:44:50

Most likely will be navigating by iphone.
so check what yours says and give me a map from where it goes astray to the right location.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #55 - 01/26/15 at 09:03:29

verslagen1 wrote on 01/26/15 at 08:44:50:
Most likely will be navigating by iphone.
so check what yours says and give me a map from where it goes astray to the right location.

Okie dokie

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #56 - 01/29/15 at 14:42:42

Hey you guuuuuyyyyyyys....

I am still hoping my schedule will let me make a couple of days of this trip. My issue is I will have recently returned from a week's vacation so I am probably only good for Fri-Sat-Sun, maybe getting there late night on Fri if I can't take the day/afternoon off.

So, if I can make it and expect to ride all day Saturday and whatever I can squeeze in Sunday before I head home late Sunday, what would be the riding plans for those days?  Is it worth a short/quick weekend trip? (I am only about 4 hours away and will be trucking my bike in).  And if I wanted to stay with you guys I guess I could get there late Friday and sleep in the back seat of my truck at the ranch (I can sleep anywhere...not asking for a 'pity' bed or anything...seriously) and not fool with a tent since the next morning the party moves to Blue Ridge Campground.

Sorry for all of the questions...I really want to meet up and ride with some of you guys and I want to make sure I am not an inconvenience since I would just be bobbing in and out...and it wouldn't be any fun if I had to stay somewhere else and didn't get to hang out with my kinda peeps. Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #57 - 01/29/15 at 17:42:34

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/24/15 at 10:18:18:

So tentatively......this is the schedule.  Arrival day of members and planned activities can be inserted as they are determined.

Wed June 10th - MMRanch accepting visitors.
Thur June 11th -
Fri June 12th -
Sun June 14th -
Mon June 15th -
Tue June 16th -

If you have a day where you don't have anything planned please consider the Cherohala Skyway.  It is 40 miles long of spectacular scenery.  It is real close to the Dragon as well.  You won't be sorry!

Best regards,

PB040070_002.JPG

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #58 - 01/30/15 at 08:51:35

Well now, it is February again, we gots only 30 days to get our reservations all planned and diced out and our vacation time all spoken for.

Here are the dates Dave proposed and so far no one has attempted to change them, so they get used for hard planning unless somebody squeals foul right quick-like.

Wed June 10th - MMRanch accepting visitors.    Oldfeller arrives 9 to 10 AM
Thur June 11th -
Fri June 12th -
Sun June 14th -
Mon June 15th -
Tue June 16th -

Folks planning to go to MM's need to say so as his wife will want to know how many are showing up and he will need to know so he can plan where to put them (he has more nooks and crannies to put folks in than you would believe -- some even have heat and AC).

I have started the ball rolling by reserving cabin #4 for Sat June 13th through Tuesday June 16th as that is the cabin that can sleep 4 (two on beds and two on the floor).   I know Lancer is going to want a bed for his creaky old bones, so he can jump into this one all quick like while the other bed is available.   Or he and Verslagen can take another cabin, their choice.  

Cabin #4 will fill up kinda quick-like, so speaky speaky don't be squeaky.   MM and Dave are already penciled into #4 unless they decide to tent, which is always possible.   Might ask Dave to bring his tent for somebody else to stay in as Dave will likely be bringing his trailer with him.

We have 5 full time people already planning on going to this section, with a couple of maybes and some one-day folks speaking up already.

WE NEED TO RATTLE THE BUSHES A BIT AND SHAKE OUT WHO IS GOING WHEN SO WE CAN MAKE SURE THEY GOT A PLACE TO SLEEP.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #59 - 01/30/15 at 09:10:29

Wife says too many trips..... i'm going to have to back out of this one and do the "fall" version, that's the one she wants to go on.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 16:12:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.