BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Re: Helmet vs No Helmet.
Reply #45 - 07/18/14 at 09:59:30

Personal responsibility includes not swallowing liberal (i.e., "worldview founded on ideas of liberty") excuses.

Myth: Helmets impair hearing and sight

Fact: "The helmet affects my peripheral vision" and "I can't hear as well" are two common myths neither of which is supported with scientific data. Normal peripheral vision is between 200° and 220°. Federal safety standards require that helmets provide 210° of vision. Over 90 percent of crashes happen within a range of 160° (with the majority of the remainder occurring in rear-end collisions), so it's clear that helmets do not affect peripheral vision or contribute to crashes. Hearing is not affected either. Helmets reduce the loudness of noises, but do not affect the rider's ability to distinguish between sounds. The University of Southern California conducted 900 on-scene, in-depth investigations of motorcycle crash scenes, and could not uncover a single case in which a rider could not detect a critical traffic sound. Some studies indicate that helmets are useful in reducing wind noise and protecting hearing.

Common Myths About Motorcycle Helmets
www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/safebike/myths.html

And juries don't swallow such liberal excuses, on the day you try to sue somebody for your possible CNS injuries that could have been prevented with a crash helmet.

If you were involved in a motorcycle crash and you weren’t wearing a helmet, you can still bring a lawsuit for your personal injuries. However, not wearing a helmet can make a difference in how much money you receive, if it can be shown that not wearing your helmet was also a partial cause (or aggravating factor) to your injuries.

Motorcycle accident injuries such as traumatic brain injury and spinal injuries are the most common examples in which a defense lawyer or auto insurance company will argue that the motorcyclist was at fault for choosing not to wear a helmet. A jury in a motorcycle accident trial would be asked to allocate the amount of comparative negligence they feel the motorcyclist is responsible for. (Comparative negligence reduces the amount of damages a plaintiff can recover, based upon the degree the plaintiff’s own negligence contributed to the cause of the injury.)

Too many juries have been less than forgiving in this regard. Experienced motorcycle accident attorneys will tell you of countless examples in which juries awarded compensation to a seriously injured motorcycle rider for a fractured arm, for instance, but gave nothing for TBI or back injuries because they were punishing the motorcycle rider for going without a crash helmet.

Motorcycle Accident – No Helmet | Michigan Auto Law
http://www.michiganautolaw.com/motorcycle-accident/helmet-laws/

Liberals just can't learn the hard won lesson that a jury of your hard-working peers will expect you to demonstrate personal responsibility before you can just go suing everybody—for the problems you heaped upon your own head.

Edit: I had a little fun with the old painting, 'The Jury' by John Morgan 1861, Bucks County Museum, England
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wasps

« Last Edit: 07/18/14 at 13:14:19 by BalingWire »  

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #46 - 07/18/14 at 12:57:59

Quote:
Fact: "The helmet affects my peripheral vision" and "I can't hear as well" are two common myths neither of which is supported with scientific data. Normal peripheral vision is between 200° and 220°. Federal safety standards require that helmets provide 210° of vision. Over 90 percent of crashes happen within a range of 160° (with the majority of the remainder occurring in rear-end collisions), so it's clear that helmets do not affect peripheral vision or contribute to crashes.

If a helmetless cager can not look out his window and see me riding shoulder to shoulder a half dozen times over the past 10 years... how do expect a helmeted riders vision not to be impaired?

The biased response to a rider not wearing a helmet is just that, biased and misinformed response from a jury of not our peers.  True, head injuries would be the result of not wearing a helmet, but spinal injuries occur regardless.

WWW   IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #47 - 07/18/14 at 15:28:23

Automobile blind spots are caused by obstructions such as the A-pillar and B-pillar, which has nothing to do with peripheral vision.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #48 - 07/18/14 at 16:43:57

I'm frustrated. I've totaled 3 bikes,my post explains it all,quite clearly. There is nothing other than stats to use to determine whether a helmet is an  Odds On good bet. BUT,we have to ask ourselves if we are being given ALL the info we need,info that's available, just not as well disseminated as it should be. Like the number of times someone uses a gun to shut a crime down..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #49 - 07/20/14 at 00:38:53

Tried that same 3/4 helmet again today, without any rain or thunderstorms interfering.  In my half shell a quick 1/4 turn to the side lets me see what is coming up at the 4 and 8 positions, in the 3/4 shell it requires almost a 90 degree swiveling.

The helmet in question sucks, it is getting demolished. Fulmer AF S75 purchased in December of 2007.

I've owned over 100 street motorcycles in the past 27 years, if I have a working bike, I do not drive, anywhere, any weather conditions except ice. I've put 4900+ mostly commuter miles on my 2003 Savage since mid-April of this year. Would have been higher if my metal lined shoulder hadn't forced me into a car (with front wheel drive and slushomatic no less) for about 3 weeks. Combined commuting and fun riding saw 44K miles in 18 months on my next to last real motorcycle (VN800A). That is after 2 surgeries to remove chunks of bone and disc at 2 different levels (both times) in my lumbar spine.

I'll stick with half shells until the temps dip into the 20s or lower for the ride home (between 2300 and 0000 hours). Since I'm forced to wear a lid in this state.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 08/03/14 at 09:23:42

Visibility is always a trade off. Without my full face flip up Nolan 100, my eyes would always tear up and interfere with what I was seeing. With the Nolan on I relaxed and visibility was improved. I lost some peripheral on the edges, but that was compensated for by no tearing up.
Drizzle/rain meant that I had to wipe the shield off a lot. That's a pain, but it was not on my face.
I'll take a helmet, and especially at 40 and below temps.

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:18:41

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Helmet vs No Helmet.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.