Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Wow.. this seems harsh.
07/25/14 at 07:56:16

Just checking Yahoo News.. or actually this seems like total opinion:

http://news.yahoo.com/still-fighting-delphi-workers-obama-robbed-070000081.html

The article slams Obama for actions during TARP wherein non-union GM workers lost everything and union workers kept their via TARP. I certainly was not aware of all this. To be fair.. a pug president would have done it too, so I don't see this as a slam to Obama any more than it is just politics in general. However, that said.. Obama sold himself as hope and change and being for the little man. ( Mitt Romney of course and his ilk dont even pretend) and this does seem to indicate just how broken politics really are in this country.

The legislative branch is broken ( congress)
The Administrative branch is dysfunctional
The judicial branch not too good.

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Re: Wow.. this seems harsh.
Reply #1 - 07/25/14 at 10:47:05

Dang. That just makes a fellow's blood almost boil reading that.  If you don't have a lobbyist and backdoor political ties, you're a nobody.

Thusly, I often vote for myself, or some other candidate equally pathetic, i.e., nobody.

New research produced by politics professor Martin Gilens and political science professor at Northwestern University Benjamin Page shows that average citizens have little to no influence on the outcome of government policy.
Study reveals that average citizens wield minimal political power
dailyprincetonian.com/news/2014/04/study-reveals-that-average-citizens-wield-...

I can't quite bring myself to being apathetic and not voting, but it sure doesn't mean much, at least on a national level.

“If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for ... but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong.” ~Robert Heinlein

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - 07/25/14 at 11:10:51

Politics are not broken, and gridlock, as the pundits put it, simply means that neither party has free rein to enact one-sided stuff, and that is all good.
If people would quit just being cynical, and playing herd mentality, it would become plain that ours is still the best system in the world, unless, of course, you want some cleric issuing fatwas.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 07/28/14 at 06:28:36

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 07/25/14 at 11:10:51:
Politics are not broken, and gridlock, as the pundits put it, simply means that neither party has free rein to enact one-sided stuff, and that is all good.
If people would quit just being cynical, and playing herd mentality, it would become plain that ours is still the best system in the world, unless, of course, you want some cleric issuing fatwas.  

Jerry.. I apologize.. you are correct.  However, I find myself in extremely frustrating times (with politics). I have attempted to participate in state politics only to see a lot more of the dirt than I would want to admit exists within the system.

I do feel that at the federal level, congress has decided that "free speech"  (meaning companys are people and can contribute any amount of many to political war chests) has separated law makers from those they represent.  To put it another way, the old adage:

power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely

I feel that even the BEST intention politician will either be broken and bought... or they will be marginalized with manufactured efficiency in such short order as to make them dizzy. There is too much money and too much power held by too few, that prevent lawmakers from being reasonable.

To be sure a democracy or a republic, is by far the best system designed. But these systems depend on good people, on people able to stand by what is right. I feel current law prevents just such a position.  

November, in MS will be an interesting time. ( MS senate race)

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - 07/28/14 at 06:42:18

Pine -
You may not know it, but we are a political family.  My son-in law is a State Representative here in Ohio, and his wife, my daughter, did a term on our city council.
My son-in-law is very ethical, and above reproach.  For instance, my daughter owed a large music studio until she sold it a year ago, and a couple of years ago, she had some question about state sales tax for lessons given.  Her husband told her that he couldn't even call the state tax department, because, of course, he wouldn't tell the person there of his position, but his name might be recognized, and he didn't want that to influence the tax person's conversation.
Most of his colleagues act the same way.
I have been practicing litigation law for nearly 40 years in a state where our judges are elected, not appointed.  Judges run in contested elections every 6 years.
In all of my time, I've never seen a dime ever offered to or requested by a judge in an improper manner.  Judges don't even who their campaign contributors were/are until AFTER the election.
Sure, there are some bad apples, but I can tell you from experience that they are very few, and very far between.
I get worked up when people who don't have this experience use a broad brush, and try to paint all politicians with a brush or dishonesty, and it doesn't matter to me which party.
Politics is an honorable profession.  The old idea of Davy Crockett going to Congress for a couple of terms and then back to his log cabin is as outdated as using his musket as a first line infantry weapon.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 07/28/14 at 07:56:53

Quote:
Politics is an honorable profession.

Maybe. I'm sure your son-in-law is one of the honorable ones. Much more common at the local and even the state level.

Quote:
...people who don't have this experience use a broad brush, and try to paint all politicians with a brush or dishonesty...

Well, my brush is pretty broad when it comes to national politics, and I think the facts justify it. Professional politicians at the national level in this country are for the most part criminals. Anyone who can't see that either isn't looking, or doesn't want to look.

IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/02/14 at 10:02:28

Pine wrote on 07/25/14 at 07:56:16:
Just checking Yahoo News.. or actually this seems like total opinion:

http://news.yahoo.com/still-fighting-delphi-workers-obama-robbed-070000081.html

The article slams Obama for actions during TARP wherein non-union GM workers lost everything and union workers kept their via TARP. I certainly was not aware of all this. To be fair.. a pug president would have done it too, so I don't see this as a slam to Obama any more than it is just politics in general. However, that said.. Obama sold himself as hope and change and being for the little man. ( Mitt Romney of course and his ilk dont even pretend) and this does seem to indicate just how broken politics really are in this country.

The legislative branch is broken ( congress)
The Administrative branch is dysfunctional
The judicial branch not too good.

While Tarp was going down, along with the Bailout- for 800+ billion, the FED under Bush Jr. and Obama was secretly loaning out 29 Trillion dollars (not billions) to the big US banks, and through them, to the international big banks.

The whole system is so corrupt.
For the most part, we are distracted by the media and pols from the real issues and news and are given slogans instead.
The public is doing its best, many pols are doing their best, but the game is rigged.

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 23:37:19

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Wow.. this seems harsh.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.