Send Topic Print
Helmet vs No Helmet. (Read 503 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Helmet vs No Helmet.
Reply #30 - 07/03/14 at 09:55:26

First time I totaled a bike I would have died if I had a helmet on.
Second one, I didn't and it didn't matter.
Third time, I had one and it saved either my life or at least certain extremely serious facial injuries. I bent the radius of a cab corner of a pickup truck. It ,the chin cover, folded in enough my upper lip needed stitches. The strap pushed into my throat so much I was still feeling it when I swallowed 3 weeks later.

As Popeye says,
Ya pay yer money and Yahoo takes yer chances...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 07/03/14 at 11:10:47

I'm not without reason; I understand certain laws and rules and their necessity.

I agree that, if operating a motor vehicle on the road, you should be required to have insurance.
You can directly affect someone else. The decision to wear, or not wear, a helmet is a decision of the individual without consequence to another party.
The right to swing my fist in the air ends where the next person's jaw begins.

If a SCUBA diver runs out of air, only they are affected.

If a sky diver falls out of the sky, only they are affected (unless they land on someone)

If a motorcyclist, with no helmet, launches off the bike and Superman's it without a helmet that is their own business.

However, if a motorcyclist, without a helmet, bounces off a car and Superman's it into another car their insurance should cover both cars.

And if a motorcyclist, this time with a helmet, bounces off a car and lives to tell the tale then insurance pays for it and he walks with a limp if he's lucky.

--Steve

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #32 - 07/03/14 at 11:16:37

Paraquat wrote on 07/02/14 at 06:13:11:
Oh, I'm fine with it.
At the risk of sounding like WD my neighborhood could use a "cleansing".

This came up in a discussion with a friend. We started talking about measles and whatever ip opping up in Cali from the anti-vaxer's.
"I hope a super virus wipes out half the planet."
"What if it killed you, too?"
"Cost of doing business. 'For the greater good'"

--Steve

Pretty much. You should hear me on another forum, I'm tame compared to many of the other sustaining members there...  I actually got sponsored because I'm the "voice of reason" on a white nationalist site.  Huh

Scary, isn't it? An open officer of the American SS is the voice of reason, restraint and common values...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 07/07/14 at 06:09:51

I don't find it scary.
I find it logical.
You need to suppress emotion and make the tough decisions based on logic.
You get a bleeding heart liberal democrat out there saying everyone needs health insurance and welcoming in immigrants with driver's licenses (in my state anyway) with no regard for the people here.

Donate to starving kids over seas!
Why not donate to starving Americans?

In life there are winners and there are losers. You can't give every kid a gold medal. You need to be able to cut through the emotion and make the hard decisions. You make decisions and live with the consequences. We need men of mettle, not limp wristed panderers who cave at the slightest adversity.

Like celebrities in the news. They issue a statement (as if anyone cares in the first place) and then issue a retraction.
crappity smack. YOU.
I'd have more respect for that person if they didn't retract their statement and owned it.
Not "I'm Sorry I feel this way" but "Sorry. I feel this way."

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #34 - 07/07/14 at 08:56:57

If someone wants me to support vaccinations all they need to do is stop putting poison and cancer viruses in them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JonBiddle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 07/16/14 at 19:14:06

What if a head injury incurred while not wearing a helmet was exempt from health insurance, or you had to pay a higher premium to have it covered?

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #36 - 07/17/14 at 03:19:42

"Unhelmeted riders cost more to treat at the hospital, spend a longer time in rehabilitation, and are more likely to require some form of public assistance to for pay medical bills and rehabilitation. In 1991, prior to enacting its helmet law, California's state medical insurance program paid $40 million for the treatment of motorcycle-related head injuries. That figure dropped to $24 million after enactment of a universal helmet law [...] when a crash happens, the freedom to ride unhelmeted is paid for in different ways, by different sources. The motorcyclist pays and the public pays through taxes, insurance rates, and health care costs."  ~National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Personal responsibility means staying off the dole. Wearing a helmet is a great way to avoid taking a taxpayer handout.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 07/17/14 at 06:05:17

Shall we ban skydiving,mountain climbing,and ice cream? ALL have risk and are of no real value.
The problem IS the fact that we have allowed a system to be built up around us that makes YOUR Stupid choice MY responsibility to pay for.
Aaaand that tends to make me believe I should have some say in how YOU act..See how people want to control others? Ohhhh,but it's only for their own good,of course,CoffCoff,
Give it time. Your Loyalty Card will be required for all purchases. If you're diabetic,you better have a real good reason for buying ice cream.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 07/17/14 at 06:12:59

JonBiddle wrote on 07/16/14 at 19:14:06:
What if a head injury incurred while not wearing a helmet was exempt from health insurance, or you had to pay a higher premium to have it covered?

I swear I've argued this...
Not only does it violate the 14th Amendment and Equal Protections Clause it's a slippery slope.

Veggies are good for you and won't add to your health insurance.
If you want a greasy cheese burger though... that's bad for you and you have to pay a higher premium to be able to eat cheeseburgers.

Fast forward some more down the slope and you have "Fat police" telling you what you can and cannot eat like you're an elementary school student again. (Which I don't agree with there, either).

--Steve

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #39 - 07/17/14 at 10:36:37

I don't agree with the statement "the public pays"..... I pay my motorcycle insurance...which pays the public service of EMT and Hospitalization... how is the public paying for that?
Do our taxes pay for all motorcyclists who don't wear helmets? How?
Does the "public" pay for car accidents?
Its just the big insurance rate argument..... the insurance companies do not raise car insurance rates because motorcycles are in accidents.... or cars are involved in car accidents....
Its the amount of accidents that cause the rates to go up....that's why they ask you where you live.
Although I suppose non-helmet areas "could" raise the insurance rates....and probably do...
But to say "the public" pays for it.... if I don't drive a car...how am I paying for those non-helmet wearing states?
Huh

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #40 - 07/17/14 at 15:53:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/17/14 at 06:05:17:
Shall we ban...

Wrong question.  To be clear, I'm not advocating any legal policy. To wear a helmet, such in the great State of Ohio where it is voluntary, is a personal decision to take care of one's self, which people should do as far as is possible.

Tellingly, recent statistics in Michigan give evidence that those who demonstrate a lack of personal responsibility in one aspect of riding, such as wearing helmets, also demonstrate more lack of personal responsibility in other areas—such as being at fault for accidents at a rate 17% higher than helmeted bikers.

Does irresponsibility beget irresponsibility?  Seems so...

MLive analysis: See who's more at fault in Michigan motorcycle crashes; riders with or without helmets? | July 26, 2012
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/mlive_analysis_see_whos_more_l.html

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 07/17/14 at 16:34:20

Your point is well taken and a valid and interesting point.
My point,well,its made in my post.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 07/17/14 at 22:38:46

The stats are meaningless w/out knowing how many total bikers with and w/out helmets.

I can also say 265 helmetless vs. 854 helmeted riders.
helmetless are less prone to be in accidents than helmeted.

Stats can be made to prove whatever I want.  Don't believe them until you have the full picture.

WWW   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 07/18/14 at 06:11:32

More likely to be at fault, but it happens 1/3 of the time.

As stated, without knowing the size of the sample the stats are irrelevant.

--Steve

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #44 - 07/18/14 at 08:17:59

Wore a 3/4 shell with flip down full riot shield yesterday instead of my 1/2 shell with shorty face shield. Bad weather, hate having to pull off and dry my glasses... Almost got run over four times, lack of peripheral vision prevented me seeing cars trying to share my lane spot until they were right next to me and pulling past. Also could not hear them.

That helmet got retired last night, permanently. Next dry day that I can get to my smithy, the helmet is getting introduced to my anvil and a sledge hammer.

Raining today, I'm taking the C10 instead of the bike.  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:27:21

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Helmet vs No Helmet.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.