Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe. (Read 1573 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe.
Reply #15 - 06/17/14 at 19:46:36

I picked up the Ninja 250 last night...it has a lot of potential.  I do believe however that the engine is not worth fooling with.  The owner said her son most likely overheated it, and when I looked at it tonight I could not see any coolant in the radiator.  It also appears to have blown too much oil for the air cleaner/breather to accept, and the starter turns it over like there is very little compression.  I suspect he overheated it and trashed the cylinder walls, pistons and rings.  I just bought a local 2,360 mile engine to put in the bike for $ 600 + the $ 250 purchase price and a few dollars for stuff....I should be less than $ 1,000 to get it running.  I should get some money back when I start to sell off the bodywork parts....and maybe some parts on the existing engine are salvageable.

Ninja_001.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #16 - 06/18/14 at 04:36:52

Bike looks nice and clean, too bad the engine is shot.   Embarrassed

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #17 - 06/18/14 at 05:52:27

That does look nice.
Are you going to do a compression test before swapping engines?
Who knows, maybe it will be OK?
Looking forward to reading about your project.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 06/18/14 at 07:03:36

Gerry:

Yeah, I will do some initial work to see if the existing engine is able to be fixed reasonably.  Spare parts are pretty cheap on eBay, and if I needed cylinders and pistons the could be obtained for $ 100 or so.  New rings and valve seals and gaskets would obviously be a smart thing to install while it is apart.

I will remove some body work, then do a compression check before I pull the engine out of the frame.  I may also see if there is any way to peek down the spark plug hole and see the cylinder walls.  If I find low compression I will pull the motor, then pull the head and take a look.

It would be nice if I could repar the existing engine affordably.

Dave

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/18/14 at 11:09:24

Yes, would be nice, keeping in mind the price & availability of used engines,,You dont wanna be too much $$ in & lots of time & have a $600.00 engine to sell,, You should be able to unload the plastic & do well.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 07/28/14 at 10:35:31

I was able to work on this a bit yesterday.  I tried to pressurize the coolant system.....and it would not hold a pressure or vacuum - so there is a coolant leak somewhere.  I did not want add water at this point - just in case the leak is a cylinder gasket I didn't want to be pushing water in the cylinders.

Then I did a compression check....and got nearly nothing on either cylinder.  There is either a big leak somewhere - or the cam is not turning.

The next thing to do is pull the cam cover and see what is going on in there, then the head and cylinders. I did buy the spare engine...so I can just transplant that if this engine is not salvageable.  Then....order the Blue Collar Bobber kit.

Dave

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 08/06/14 at 04:51:31

Well I have had a little bit of time to work on this.  Saturday I took it to the DMV and to the title applied for....and that went well.

I had a chance to do a little bit of work on it last night.  I pulled the cam cover and looked, and the cam chain is in place, and it rotates when the starter turns the engine over.  The rear wheel can be rotated by hand when in neutral - but when you click it into first gear you cannot turn the engine over by turning the rear wheel...even with the spark plugs out.  The rotation of the rear wheel is limited to whatever movement the slack in the chain allows - and the rotation stops abruptly as if the transmission is locked up.  The only 2 positions that you can get with the shifter pedal is 1st and neutral - you can't get the transmission to shift into second.

This engine appears to be one sick puppy!
1)  No compression in either cylinder.
2)  Coolant system does not hold pressure.
3)  Transmission will only shift to neutral & 1st, and seems to lock up in first.

I did buy a good used engine from a crashed bike that only has 2,000 miles on it....might have time for an engine transplant this weekend if the weather is rainy and I can't work outside cutting firewood for the winter.

Dave

« Last Edit: 08/07/14 at 08:03:05 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 08/10/14 at 17:44:25

Well this morning at 7:00 AM, I began the process of putting this into the bike.

Our church is out on a camping trip, and we didn't have our service this week, so I just kept working.  I had remove the "tupperware" (body parts) a couple of weeks ago - so by 9:00 AM I had gotten this far:

It really is pretty easy to get the engine out of this bike - there are 3 wire connectors, 3 engine mount bolts, a couple of radiator hoses, etc.  The Savage engine probably comes out faster - but for a twin this one is easy and the engine just drops out the bottom.

Because of the process of cleaning the carbs, cleaning up the frame a bit, changing the oil, adding anti-freeze, a break for lunch....I didn't get it running until about 3 PM.  Then I had to go get a battery as the one in it decided to be weak...and in the couple of hours it needed to charge after I filled it.....I mounted the tuppeware, aired up the tires, and cleaned up the tools and garage.  About 6PM I went for a 40 mile ride down by the Ohio River.  I stopped and took a photo at what used to be a lock on the Ohio River - before they put in the dams and big locks on the river.

I must be really easy to please, as I like the bike.  It doesn't have a bunch of torque like the Savage - but if you get the revs up it goes really well.  It sounds like a normal bike up to about 7,500 rpm - but then by 9,000 rpm it is coming on strong.  If you keep the revs between 7K and 10K.....it has as much power as the Savage.  I thought I would find that irritating - but once you are up at highway speeds the wind noise drowns the engine out....and it just cruises along.  It could cruise at 60 - 70 all day long.  One fellow on the Ninja 250 forum has over 100,000 miles on his bike.  He replaced the original engine at 87,000 miles as the cam chain had stretched so much the tensioner would no longer take up the slack (sound familiar), and you cannot replace the cam chain on that bike without splitting the cases...so he just bought a used engine.

No...I am not giving up my Savage....but this is a fun bike!  If this was the only bike I was able to have......it would be fine.  So far I have $ 875 invested.  It is going to need some tires.....the ones on it appear to be the original ones and  are 12 years old and have 9,700 miles on them.  Not having much torque seems to wear the front and rear tires at about the same rate!

Dave

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 08/10/14 at 18:31:22

One day?... really?...
You could at least try to make it seem a little difficult... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 08/11/14 at 03:28:33

Serowbot wrote on 08/10/14 at 18:31:22:
One day?... really?...
You could at least try to make it seem a little difficult... Grin...

It was a long day! Grin

The bike is not as pristine as it looks in the photo.  The exhaust system and trim has surface rust, and the bike was dropped on the right side.   The fairing is cracked about shin level  - but the crack is not wide and is taped together for the moment.  It is in pretty good condition as far as 12 years old 250 Ninja's go....they are either very well cared for.....or very well trashed.  A lot of the bikes have been converted to a "street fighter"......which basically means they damaged the fairing and took it off! Roll Eyes

So....time to save up for the Blue Collar Bobbar Cafe kit.

And.......the front brake on this bike is great.  It really makes the Savage brake seem weak.

Dave

« Last Edit: 01/30/17 at 06:33:15 by Dave »  

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #25 - 08/12/14 at 04:14:13

Hey Dave I like the looks of the Blue Collar Bobber's Ninja 250 cafe kit, it kinda looks like a Ducati when it's cafe'd  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 08/12/14 at 04:37:13

This is about what I have in mind for a look....with a black seat.

I think the front tire is too big....not sure if I can do the tire "delete" in the kit.....I suspect I will end up with a tire I don't use.

Dave

BCB.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 09/24/14 at 03:49:07

Well at first I thought maybe I jumped the gun a bit by buying a used engine to put in this bike - before I took the original engine apart to find out what was wrong with it.  All I know is the original engine had zero compression on both cylinders, and the coolant system would not hold pressure.  The replacement s a low 2,700 mile engine and is doing fine - but I thought if I can fix the original engine I could get some money back by selling the extra engine.

Last night I tore into the original engine....it is toast!  The right side has a bad lower end rod bearing, which then allowed the piston to travel too far up the cylinder and bump into the head.....and too far down the bore and the piston hit the crank and broke off pieces of the skirt.  

The piston has a hole in the center.....I believe the engine lost coolant and was run hot....but I can't yet explain the hole.  The rod most likely failed on the right side first - as the crank is fed oil from the left side and the overheated engine didn't flow enough oil to protect the right side.  

You can see where the piston has hit the head on the right cylinder, and that combined with the hole in the piston that allowed oil to blow around inside.....has cleaned the carbon from the right side of the head.  The plug electrodes being so white are not an indication the engine was running lean.....the previous owner took the plugs out and bead blasted them after the bike died and would not start! Shocked

Here is where the valve has been touching the piston and it cleaned the carbon off...the loose rod allowed the piston to come up too far in the cylinder.

So....I will take some parts off the engine that are worth something, and most likely use the trashed parts to make a trophy to donate to the Mods and Rockers in Cincinnati.  They make their trophies from trashed engine parts....and now I have a few that I can donate to them.  The head is most likely fine....not sure about the valves.  Ninja 250 parts are not worth much.....too many of them are crashed and you can buy used engines for $ 400 or so.  At that price it is not worth doing too much repair work to them.

I am just about ready to order the Cafe' kit for Blue Collar Bobbers.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 01/30/17 at 06:17:31

Over the 2 summers that I have ridden this bike - I have grown to really like it.  It is the easiest bike I have when I need to run up hardware store......and if there is a threat of rain I don't care if the thing gets wet or dirty, and it does a reasonable job of keeping me dry.  I have taken the little Ninja the Dragon area twice, and although it is not great at accelerating briskly out of steep uphill twisties (unless you downshift 3 gears as you come out of the corner)....and it doesn't like to hit tar snakes while you are leaned over.  I have ridden the bike for all day rides and it is really pretty comfortable......I am 5'-8" and 170 pounds and it would most likely not be a good bike for anybody too much bigger than I am.

I am not a fan of the Sport Bike look - so I have begun the installation of the Blue Collar Bobber kit to make the bike a Cafe' bike.  The kit is very nicely designed, the instructions are very clear and you can use the CD in a laptop computer and go right along withe the work he shows you on the CD.  The fit and paint on the supplied parts is excellent.

I have removed the bodywork, cut the frame and grafted on (bolts and epoxy) the new frame rails and installed the base for the seat.  The kit does not require any welding or special tools, and the kit comes with a hacksaw, file and wire crimping pliers so that you only need wrenches and screwdrivers to make the kit work.  While I had it apart this far I took the opportunity to replace the rubber connectors between the air box and carbs as these were getting a bit stiff and hard to work with, and I also replaced the aged and stiff fuel, vacuum and vent lines on the carb.

While working on the bike I noticed the silver swingarm and rear shock were a bit rusty (the bike must have been ridden when there was salt on the roads before I got it), and I read on the website that the rear shock from the 2008 - 2012 model was an upgrade....so I bought a really nice one from a 2012 on eBay.  I then took the swingarm off, cleaned it up, and powder coated it black as that will look better on the Cafe than the silver color would (I think they used silver to look like the aluminum ones that are on the more expensive sport bikes).  My goal is not to make it a show bike - but the swingarm did need some attention while I had the back of the bike apart.

The bike has more than 12,000 miles on the chain and sprockets, and they look pretty good.  According to the Ninja website the chain/sprockets are good for 20-25K miles....but you have to remove the swingarm to replace the chain - and they are pretty cheap so I most likely will throw a new chain on while I have things apart.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #29 - 01/30/17 at 07:58:05

Dave you do neat work !    Seeing your ninja makes me wounder about the 500 version ???  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 13:48:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › Next Project?....Ninja 250 Cafe.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.