Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Regearing for more gears? (Read 497 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Regearing for more gears?
Reply #30 - 05/23/14 at 05:21:39

If the issue is hand fatigue......my used ST1100 came with a CrampBuster and I love it.  On long rides it really takes a load off of your right hand, you don't have t squeeze the grip anymore.  You just adjust the CrampBuster until you find the sweet spot....and you just rest your palm on the lever portion.  If it gets in your way during riding around town....you just rotate it down out of the way and you can ignore it.  To get it back you just rotate it again....and put it where it works best for you.  It only takes a second to adjust....and a couple of seconds to install or remove.

I most likely never would have bought one.....if I hadn't gotten this one with the bike.  It really works well.

http://crampbuster.com/

IMG_1376.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #31 - 05/23/14 at 06:07:02

Thanks!  I was going to look for an aftermarket palm rest.  You saved me some time.  I just ordered it.

Meanwhile, my gran tourismo grips are on the way, and I have purchased a bag of #9 lead birdshot.  The dealership said they will install the birdshot and grips for me when I drop the bike off with the saddle bags and turn signal relocation kit.  I'll report on the effects of this mod.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #32 - 05/23/14 at 08:18:44

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #33 - 05/23/14 at 09:12:35

The bird shot "tunes" the handlebar resonance to a lower frequency. Try filling just the lower section of the bar if you have buckhorns, go ahead and fill it up if you have drag type.

Gran Turismo grips force your hand into a natural relaxed curve. Straight grips force the palm of your hand unnaturally flat. Look in your open palm, see the divot? The padded center swell of the new grip set will let your hand maintain that divot while riding, instead of your hand aching from trying to go flat on the grip.

Small changes that can/do make a world of difference. I've got hundreds of thousands of miles under my butt on motorcycle seats. My hands at full relax look like I'm gripping a set of bike handlebars. My fingers cross over each other slightly when my hands are flat, significantly when relaxed. It's genetic.

Prop your motorcycle upright and sit relaxed in the seat with your feet on the rider pegs and your hands comfortably in front of you. Where are your hands in relation to the handlebar? Can you adjust the bar to suit or does it need to be replaced with a different bend? How do your hands like the levers? You can use a set of wide levers off a cable clutch Suzuki 800 Marauder to change how your fingers work the brake and clutch levers (same perches).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #34 - 05/23/14 at 09:42:54

To continue where I was before our rooster "Satan" starting sounding off in the brooder...

Also, if you have not checked your tires over, do so. Running them underinflated will cause excess "buzz" in the front end. The tires will start to cup along the tread grooves, making high spots that add "buzz" if the bike is leaned over in a turn or going on rough road. Once the tire cups, it is time to replace it. The factory front tire, at the factory pressure setting, is very prone to cupping. Place a plastic bag over your hand, close your eyes and run your hand over the tire from front to back. If it feels lumpy like an alligator hide, it is time to replace the tire, tread depth is irrelevant, you can't fix it. Look over your tire sidewalls and tread, see any cracking you can stick a fingernail in? If so, change your tires, those cracks signal that the tire carcass is disintegrating, going out of round/balance from heat cycling (perfectly normal wear indicator) and are causing vibration and handling quirks.

You said you and your husband are in Texas. Go to the R.o.T. (Republic of Texas) motorcycle rally, find an ancient greybeard with an obviously well used motorcycle, and talk to him. Have him look over your bike, even if his looks like a rusted out pile of junk, odds are he rides it daily... Ask him to go over how you are sitting on your bike and what you should consider doing differently. Most really old motorcyclists are happy to talk about riding and will help out a newer rider if approached properly.

Without physically being on site to go over your bike and your interactions with it, best I can offer.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 23:46:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Regearing for more gears?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.