Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
front wheel out of round...slightly (Read 145 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

front wheel out of round...slightly
05/17/14 at 14:14:46

OK so my front wheel is slightly out of round. A tiny little hop, nothing big. But when I Spin the wheel the (brand new) tire seems to have an exaggerated hop...now the handling is fine
..I don't think I really notice it on the move... o would assume that this is what balancing is meant to correct..

Is this something that can or should be corrected at the spokes? I com from the world of road bicycle racing where this would be intolerable.

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: front wheel out of round...slightly
Reply #1 - 05/17/14 at 15:08:22

If it's the rim, yes...  it's more likely that the tire didn't get seated properly...
If you can jack up the front,.. try spinning it, while having a stationary pointer set near the rim edge...

I'd take it back to the guys that put your tire on... let them have a look...
It may just be a matter of letting the air out,.. giving the tire a jiggle,.. then re-inflating...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/17/14 at 15:20:10

Yep the rim deffinatly has a high and low point...is this easily fixed at a shop I'm not gonna mess with it. Do you see any issues with riding it for the moment... I have to put a set of bearings in so I was gonna wait till they arrive to take it off...

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/17/14 at 15:31:35

I think it's expensively fixable at a shop... Grin...

Check that all the spokes are least snug, and none broken,... and it should be okay to ride like that for while...
As long as it's not so bad that it's trying to throw you off...

I find it interesting that you notice it, now... with a new tire..
Rims don't go out of round quickly...
If you haven't hit anything,... is it possible that they boogered it while installing your tire?...

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/17/14 at 15:41:42

I hit a pot hole or man hole cover now and then... who don't...but I am gonna go back to them and ask why it wasn't mentioned to me when I picked it up. The only time I think I notice it is when going slow...I wonder what its gonna cost me...or if I should try fix in it...any suggestions on that? I feel like the hop on the tire is more than that of the rim...both hop but the rim hops less

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/17/14 at 15:49:07

I wouldn't try it... have them take a look...
If you trust them... or get an opinion from another shop...

No idea on cost... but, it would be cheaper to buy a fleabay replacement...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 05/17/14 at 15:54:23

All you need to true a wheel is a small adjustable wrench and a coat hanger wire pointer wrapped tightly around your fork tube bottom on each side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcZ1jjB_AdQ

Bicycle guys have to do this all the time.   Spoked motorcycle wheels are kinda rare on motorcycles any more, so go to the bike guys for your tutorials.

Be aware that yo need to do this AFTER you mount the tire since you jerk the wheel around quite a bit while mounting the tire.

Plus, if the tire is mis-mounted, this check after mounting makes that very apparent.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/17/14 at 16:01:14

I am with Oldfellor on this one.  My trials motorcycle had very light and soft aluminum rims.  They would move and creep out of round while bouncing around off logs and rocks.  Each winter I would loosen the spokes and readjust the rim to be true.

A bicycle or motorcycle shop with someone that know wheels should be able to get it back round again.  You do need to loosen spokes as well as tighten to get it round again.....then snug them all up to the proper tension.  You can search on YouTube for videos that show you how to do it.  Depending on where your bike is stored and how old it is....some spoke nipples may no longer be adjustable....they corrode.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/17/14 at 17:46:41

I threw it in my park tool truing stand for bike wheels slapped some zip ties on it and rounded and trued it within .008... the rest of the hop is in the tire. I'll be reseating it tomorrow. Took about 1/3 of the hop out...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 05/17/14 at 22:42:12

You own your own truing stand and you ask if a wobbly wheel is easily corrected at a shop?...

That's funny, that is... Grin Grin Grin...

In case you haven't noticed... we answer questions here, from people that have never put air in a tire... and can't remove their seat...
Nothing wrong with that...  
They want to learn...
We are here to give advice, support, and encouragement...

Next time you ask a question... you might include pertinent information...
Like,... if you have a wobbly wheel...
You might say up front that own your own truing wheel... and you already know how to adjust spokes...

Otherwise... you waste my time...
We are in the dark here... if you have a flashlight.. you might want to mention it...

Otherwise,... we will generally advise to lowest common denominator...
Huh...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/17/14 at 23:31:27

Its just a piece of metal,, its not a space ship. You can adjust its shape by changing the spoke tensions. Get the front end off the ground, get the brake pads pushed away so it will rotate easily, put a wire in a piece of wood & make a pointer to locate the high & low spots & the parts that sway in & out. Mark the high points & low points & look at the rim & see where they are relative to each other. If the low points are 180 degrees across from each other & the high points are 180 across, then loosen the low point spokes & tighten the high point spokes.. Itll take a while, but anyone can true a rim,, Ive straightened 10 speed rims that were so bent they wouldnt even roll,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/18/14 at 04:54:53

Serowbot wrote on 05/17/14 at 22:42:12:
You own your own truing stand and you ask if a wobbly wheel is easily corrected at a shop?...

That's funny, that is... Grin Grin Grin...

In case you haven't noticed... we answer questions here, from people that have never put air in a tire... and can't remove their seat...
Nothing wrong with that...  
They want to learn...
We are here to give advice, support, and encouragement...

Next time you ask a question... you might include pertinent information...
Like,... if you have a wobbly wheel...
You might say up front that own your own truing wheel... and you already know how to adjust spokes...

Otherwise... you waste my time...
We are in the dark here... if you have a flashlight.. you might want to mention it...

Otherwise,... we will generally advise to lowest common denominator...
Huh...

Hey now...bicycle wheels and MC wheels might have been different! That being said think of all the people that might search for this topic. Anyhow. I am in need of 5 front wheel nipples... Anyone willing to part with extras?

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/18/14 at 05:29:29

I have an in unmodified cam chain tensioner up for grabs if someone gets me some nipples...

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #13 - 05/18/14 at 08:20:30

Jsud04 wrote on 05/18/14 at 05:29:29:
I have an in unmodified cam chain tensioner up for grabs if someone gets me some nipples...

HAHAHA! I read this comment in the "10 most recent comments" without reading your former post about the wheel. I was thinking, Hm. This dude is drunk posting on the wrong forum......  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 05/18/14 at 11:32:41

Okay,, that really messes with my imagination. I read that & saw a guy at a swap meet with a sign

Will trade tensioner for nipples.

Dude,, Smiley..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 23:40:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front wheel out of round...slightly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.