WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Hot Earth...
Reply #91 - 05/13/14 at 10:31:32

Serowbot wrote on 05/13/14 at 10:13:34:
WebsterMark wrote on 05/13/14 at 10:02:00:
I say it's clear the majority of scientist agree with the statement mankind has some influence over the climate. I don't think anyone would argue with that fact.  

I think it is certain that the % answering yes to both those questions is not 97% which is what Obama and the UN imply. Furthemore, it seems likely the number of people answering yes to both those questions is decreasing, not increasing.

So,.. let's say 85%... or 80%...
I wouldn't say all science is incorruptible...but, it is scrutinized through peer revue...
This cannot be said of the opposing view...
I spent years working around egghead scientists... and I know they love nothing more than to disagree with each other, and shoot down theories...
They are questioning and sceptical by nature...
... and their consensus is not in decline,.. it is growing...

Peer revue has been shown to be very corruptible , see the Climategate emails. Publications that published papers disagreeing with IPCC's official position were threaten; leading authors would not submit their papers for review in those magazines which would lower their standing in the scientific community.

Remember love canal?  Remember the Alar apple scare? Both were heavily supported by the scientific community but years after the fact after the limelight  and publicity has gone away, both were proven to be wrong all along. There was never a higher incidence of cancer at love Canal and there was no problem with the apples.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #92 - 05/13/14 at 10:36:29

Okay so let's say 80%.  You are now 17% less than what you originally started at. If it's so easy to determine the 97% number is wrong, doesn't it bother you that your side of this argument is repeating a figure they all know to be false?

The biggest issue for me is simply this: every single prediction the IPCC has made from the very beginning has been wrong. They have been forced to scale back every one. Now this latest climate assessment is doubling down. The claim now is it's even worse than they ever predicted before and it's going to get disastrous in the next 10 years if we don't do something astounding right now. Sorry, but I just don't see that being true. The way I see it, I have far more facts on my side then you have on your side.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #93 - 05/13/14 at 11:01:08

Not really,.. because I'm only saying 80% for the sake of arguement...
I base it on no evidence... other than the fact that 97% is a high percentage.
The facts say, 97%... wrong or right, it is the number stated by others that know more than you or I...
My compromise of the figure does nothing to the facts...

My point is,.. is it more reasonable to believe a 20% minority opinion than a 3% minority, in a field of expertise in which none of us are at all knowledgeable?...
I'm just assuming that experts know more than us...
...and that's a very safe assumption... Grin...

Science also says that there are at least 10 dimensions...
I can't even grasp the idea of it,.. but, I will assume that they can...
Because they are in some consensus on this...
I also can't figure out how excited particles can run down a wire and make my toaster work,.. but they do...
Some things you just have to believe, even if you don't understand them, because wiser men than you agree... and the evidence supports them...

I believe the globe is warming because those that study it, say so...
I don't believe these people are as motivated to lie as their detractors...
The money points the other way...

The same as "Tobacco science" did a few decades ago...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #94 - 05/13/14 at 11:21:21

Serowbot wrote on 05/13/14 at 11:01:08:
Not really,.. because I'm only saying 80% for the sake of arguement...
I base it on no evidence... other than the fact that 97% is a high percentage.
The facts say, 97%... wrong or right, it is the number stated by others that know more than you or I...
My compromise of the figure does nothing to the facts...

My point is,.. is it more reasonable to believe a 20% minority opinion than a 3% minority, in a field of expertise in which none of us are at all knowledgeable?...
I'm just assuming that experts know more than us...
...and that's a very safe assumption... Grin...

But the facts do not say 97%. You're ignoring that. In fact, it's likely impossible to figure out what the real percentage is but it's 100% certain it's not 97%.

As I stated, the overwhelming consensus was love canal was a cancer-causing disaster, but after-the-fact, that was not the case. Doesn't that mean something to you? Should we look at other publicity fueled scientific discussions and see which ones over the years have proven to be false?

What's the percentage of homosexuals in the general population?  You'll probably answered 10% because that's what you've always heard. But that percentage has never been true. it was always proven to be false but publicity has caused it to spread everywhere and now it's accepted as fact when it is not.

Matthew Shepard was not killed by anti-gay cowboys.  He was murdered by a drug crazed lover. Look at all the social commentary written on that episode, but it was all based on falsehood.  Now there has been a lot of good that came out of those discussions about Matthew Shepard and the way society treats gay people. Just like there's a lot of good that comes out of the climate change discussion in regards to pollution, renewable energy and generally being a better steward of the earth's resources. However, this climate change discussion is going to ridiculous lengths. We are ready to leave poor countries in poverty for what could turn out to be completely incorrect science.  The United States and United Nations work against building utility companies in Africa for example so as to limit greenhouse gases.  Instead we send them bicycle powered generators. Same thing with DDT. We limit shipments of life saving DDT to Africa because of junk science done in the past which means we basically condemned hundreds of thousands of African children to death due to malaria.

And now we are continuing this with climate change. The economy will not grow by switching to renewable energies based upon legislation. It hasn't happened yet and it will not happen. So here we are, about to lower our overall standard of living, based upon predictions that have not proven to be even remotely accurate. Doesn't it concern you and all that every prediction that has been made has been wrong?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #95 - 05/13/14 at 11:27:48

I don't believe these people are as motivated to lie as their detractors...
The money points the other way...

but again, the facts say otherwise. Do you know what the Climategate emails said? did you read them or read summaries of them? They point to the exact opposite of what you said. The money flows in the both  directions. Which side has more to lose? Not sure, I'll bet the stack of money available to either side is pretty close to the same.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #96 - 05/13/14 at 11:47:03

I know,.. cut n' paste... but no use rehashing old news...
Read it... it does explain... (just need to skim it, really)...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climatic_Research_Unit_email_controversy

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #97 - 05/13/14 at 12:24:28

About a carbon tax...
Would it be so bad, if those industries that pollute the planet were taxed,.. and that money was used to remedy some of the negative effects?...
Invested in storm retaining walls, tornado alert systems, repair of beach erosion... etc...
These costs will be born by someone... make no mistake...

Things like fossil fuel would go up in price,... but like I said, the costs will be born in some way...
This is the "social engineering"... bugaboo...(we would be encouraged to drive smaller cars)... So what?...
Home mortgage deductions are also "social engineering"...
As are tobacco and liquor taxes...

Does anyone object to hunting license moneys being used to manage wildlife and forests?...
Auto registration funds used for road repair?...
Airline fees used to maintain airports?...

Seems like sensible stuff to me... relative taxation...
Better than random...
Huh...
...or,.. how would you suggest these costs be paid for?...

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #98 - 05/13/14 at 12:24:41

There's a difference between "rehashing old news" and ignoring the facts on the ground after they've changed. That's would be like saying to you Bush beat Gore in 2000 fair and square. I doubt you would agree with that, in fact, if you were wearing a heart monitor, it just took a big spike! It would be like me saying we went into Iraq because the UN said they had weapons of mass destruction.

Bottom line; it is a FACT that climate scientist are no more or less 'holy' than anyone else. Human nature is what it is.

So someone else needs to weigh in......  is the 97% figure true or false?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #99 - 05/13/14 at 12:39:09

WebsterMark wrote on 05/13/14 at 12:24:41:

We started speaking civilly,... and lost our audience... Grin...

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #100 - 05/13/14 at 13:51:25

no fun unless somebody is red-faced mad  Grin  just kidding gentleriders

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #101 - 05/13/14 at 14:26:08

Serowbot wrote on 05/13/14 at 12:39:09:
WebsterMark wrote on 05/13/14 at 12:24:41:

We started speaking civilly,... and lost our audience... Grin...

Nope... just nothing to add.

There are certainly things I could get behind in a big way. For instance, private power generation (aka solar or wind). A big problem in our state ( and think a flat out lie) is that the power companies insist that such devices COST them money. So far... ZERO privately owned devices have been ALLOWED to hook up to the power grid. ZERO. Why?/ Because then the power company would have to accept the power.. and they will not concede even one inch!!
Want to pass a law to help EVERYONE... force the dern power company to accept privately generated power.
PS: MS is building a COAL powered generating plant!!! How stoopid is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( and tax payers are footing the bill)

So maybe I am not for higher taxes on fuel... but stop building 1920's style plants!

see drama!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #102 - 05/13/14 at 15:39:02

Here in Az,... they must allow you to connect to the grid, and they must pay you for any excess power you generate...

I do understand they need to maintain the grid and cover those costs, but eventually, I think the power companies will be a distribution service more than a producer of power...

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #103 - 05/13/14 at 16:09:14

Ummm, I didn't post this but it's under my name.... Huh Huh Huh

The part attributed to JOG is a small part of my reply to him and then the "bunch of Phd's" thing is not me, I didn't write that...what the heck??

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #104 - 05/13/14 at 16:16:21

Dane Allen wrote on 05/13/14 at 16:09:14:
Ummm, I didn't post this but it's under my name.... Huh Huh Huh

Sorry Dane,..  I deleted it...
I button malfunctioned again...  not intentional...
I think I'm having a Linux/firefox compatibility problem...
Sometimes I type a single letter,... and sentences jump around, and buttons get pressed that I didn't touch...
It's doing it as I type this now... Tongue...
I hate Linux... it just don't work right... Angry...

I'm hoping the next Firefox update will correct it...
It's being a real PIA...Undecided...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:52:03

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Hot Earth...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.