Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version (Read 1724 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version
Reply #30 - 03/31/14 at 01:30:09

The best talkie phones are made by Samsung and Apple right now.   I run a Samsung Galaxy III bought cheap two years after it first came out.  It is the very least of what you can buy for a talkie phone right now (or you could say I bought the new state of the art as it developed, two years after the fact, cheap).

Sounds like you have talked yourself into a monitor keyboard mouse rig as your best solution.

This leaves a choice between dual booting Mint Mate Linux for $6 bucks and going with a $179 Chrome box.

Least costly first attempt would be dual booting.  You have read the book, so you know the steps.   It actually is very easy once you have the DVD in your hand.  The install copy on your machine after you cold boot the machine actually walks you through the steps one by one.  

You can buy them from OSdisk.com for $6  (plus shipping) if you don't understand burning an ISO.   What processor do you have 32 bit or 64 bit?  If you don't want to burn your own DVD, go here and just pick what you want.

https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/linuxmint/linux-mint-16-mate-install-li...   for 64 bit machines

https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/linuxmint/linux-mint-16-mate-install-li...   for 32 bit machines

I also understand you feel the need to get it done before April 8th.  So, go head and pick the low dollar $6 route and give it a whirl.  

If it doesn't work out to suit you, you can order an Asus Chromebox later on when they get into a more ready supply situation instead of being totally sold out and way way backordered like they are right now.

« Last Edit: 03/31/14 at 17:37:11 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #31 - 03/31/14 at 12:30:58

my current PC, or I guess more accurately, my current OS, is already compromised with at least a spambot, if not worse, so I've been contemplating a change for a while
local PC repair dude wants almost as much to debug it as a reforbed, more modern model would cost
how do I know if I'm 32 or 64 bit?
Remember I'm the comp equivelant of a guy who can't change his own oil  Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #32 - 03/31/14 at 13:30:35

Art,.. 100% chance you are 32 bit...
... but,.. right-click on My Computer, select properties... if it don't say 64 bit on the general info page, you are 32bit.

http://www.techpraveen.com/2010/01/how-to-check-whether-windows-xp.html

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 03/31/14 at 15:10:44

The only problem with asking the Windows XP system is a low end trick which was done a lot by vendors, which was loading a cheaper 32 bit system on a 64 bit chipset machine.

They would boast it was a 64 bit processor to get you to buy it, then not say they'd gone dirty cheap on the MS OS.  

Or else they would claim they were avoiding "comparability issues".    And really, there were some back with Intel CPUs back before Core 2 Duo.

Somewhere on that box is is going to say what brand model and type of machine you have, armed with that you can find out what Intel or AMD chipset was actually used to make it.

Either look it up yourself or tell us the brand, model # and type data off the box.

And Serowbot is right in what he says, choosing 32 bit is fail safe, but if you have an AMD Athlon 64 you might as well use the 64 bit drivers.

Intel is a little fuzzier, because Intel wasn't leading the pack back then, AMD was.   Intel Pentiums, you got a good many that were 32 bit and very a few later Pentiums that were really were functional 64 bit chipsets.

Intel when Core 2 Duo shortly thereafter and they really were all 64 bit chipsets from the get go.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 03/31/14 at 15:54:06

The XP lover's DEATH RAP song

Ol buddy Serowbot, what 'cha gonna do?

What 'cha gonna do when they've come for you ????

Little wormy squirmy uglies, what 'cha gonna do?

When the machine won't boot and the screen's all blue?

What 'cha gonna do when they've done come for you ????

Your buddies' heavy duty armor, it sure looks great ....

You wish you really had some, but now it's too durn late .....

Hey there, Serowbot -- what 'cha gonna do?

Wormies in your flash drives, wormies in your bed ....

Sometimes it seems ya got wormies in your head .....

You cry out now for red armor sanity, but you didn't go get you any .....

to keep out all them nasty little wormies that knocked you on your fanny.

Got you 8 days left and UPS only takes four .....

If you get your order in  and procrastinate no more !!

Oh Serowbot, what 'cha gonna do?   What 'cha gonna do?

It's too durn late when they've already come for you !!!

BTW, installation time and the plain easiness of the install program have GREATLY improved since the last time you actually put the suit on ....   Click below to review progression of the "easy automatic install" and the greatly lowered install time & reduced operator trouble factors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOw_UdL7O-0&list=PLd_l3RnNf8-FdVQ2G0V53mCQ0PX...

« Last Edit: 04/01/14 at 02:40:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #35 - 03/31/14 at 16:20:07

Mine say
microsoft windows XP professional
version 2002
service pack 3

my name (or maybe that's my comp's name?

I assume my serial #

Intel (R)
pentium (R) 4 2.60ghz
2.59 GHz, 512MB RAM

so pretty certain it's 32 bit

the PC itself is, as I said,  a dinosaur of a Dell Dimension 8300

so I get the disk by download or purchase, instal, and it'll do all the steps for me, compresimg XP, finding it's own space, partitionong, and all? somehow I think I'm missing something, I tried to read the manual posted, but once my eyes started crossing, I went for a ride instead Tongue
some od the terminology I never even heard before

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 03/31/14 at 16:30:31

Yep, you are square in the nebulous zone, when Intel wasn't true 64 bit yet and the machine's bios certainly wasn't.

Get the 32 bit disk, stick it in, reboot the machine, answer the questions

Tony Stark can do it falling off a building in less  than 7 seconds ....

Old-rider says it works great and he's just used it himself.

I don't argue with progress, I had to bolt on my own faceplate the last time I did it from a fresh start.

But it got faster and and a lot easier ....

Yep there has been lots of progress since version 9

and this is Old-rider's version 16 no less

(with my version 17 coming out in two months time)

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #37 - 03/31/14 at 16:33:09

ok, when I get to a secure PC I'll order the disk, then I'll probably drive you nuts asking how to transfer all the crap I actualy ude from XP to Linux  Grin
I'm so useless with tech Sad

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 03/31/14 at 16:40:28

Don't let me scare you, but your Linux file manager can see inside your XP drives on drive C:, it can copy and paste from there to here, or you can put your data on a thumb drive and just keep it there for both systems since your Libre Office can open your MS Office files and can even save them back as MS Office formats of whatever version you prefer.

But you will have to learn some to do that.   I taught mine to use the MS Office 97/2000 standard format and extensions automatically as the system defaults, so my wife just sees her school files just open, then save.  

(wives are like you and Serowbot, they don't want to have to bolt on their own faceplates)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #39 - 03/31/14 at 23:28:42

OF...  I've had mint16 on a bootable flash for 3 months...
Grin...

I just installed it to a HD as a dual boot...
...(It took 2 1/2 hours to create a partition!... scared me shitless!)...
...(I do have a 1.5T HD and it's 3/4 full)... Grin...

Anyway,... it's on there... and it works... it's better than it used to be, but it still sucks...

PS... I'm no neophyte when it comes to 'puters... it's just that I'm very, very, good when it comes to XP...
... and I don't like change!... Grin...

Any idea where Mint hides Firefox?... I need to find the program files to copy my personal prefs, bookmarks, and passwords...
Not the link... the actual program location...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 04/01/14 at 01:57:04

Mint I use had Firefox as the default browser, but it is always available in the Software Manager.

Firefox is neat since it is FOSS software anyway, you can just go to the web site and download the Linux version if you can't seem to locate it in the Software Manager.

I think things will get even easier when we are all on the same Mint version as those who are better at it can find the stuff for those who aren't.   Its there, and generally isn't hard once somebody points out where they stuck it.

But it's good to hear that you got your suit on now, we can count on you to be clunking around with us for a goodly long time since them whip wielding virus guys and and them Loki wormy masters and all the other evil baddies can't get to you.

Let's see, we are 3 for 3 successfully putting the suit on so far and Art will be #4 pretty soon.    Justin however has gotten all quiet on us lately, but he was going to be working on a big project at the house and not be messin' with the web for a bit.

I hope Justin doesn't let Black Tuesday (yeah, 4/8/14 has a name now) creep up on him unawares and catch him in the shorts on the following Wormy Wednesday when all the nasty aimed exploit stuff gets turned loose by the crazy paid Loki types at midnight on Black Tuesday.    

Shocked    .... and today is April Fools day and we all get to play like we are MS and do us some FUD and talk about them bad hacker boys sneakily opening up  the back doors into XP's drop flap long jonns so they can insert their little lit M80 suppositories up your PC's depositor.  

Undecided    Eeeewww ....   there goes another XP machine

« Last Edit: 04/01/14 at 03:51:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #41 - 04/01/14 at 02:18:00

Serowbot wrote on 03/31/14 at 23:28:42:
Any idea where Mint hides Firefox?... I need to find the program files to copy my personal prefs, bookmarks, and passwords...
Not the link... the actual program location...

In your current Firefox (and yes they surely do like to move it around and put it under different sub menus and such) try going to Bookmarks > Show all Bookmarks > (top line) Import and Backup > Export bookmarks to HTML.   This will create the export file with your preferences and all your bookmarks that you can put on your jump drive along with whatever data you need to preserve if the big flying wormies do get to you.

This is also the exact same information you need to keep handy if you are reloading a new version of Mint, so you need to get into the habit of backing that information up periodically.

And today would be a good day for me to update all my backup stuff, since a week from tomorrow promises to be an "exciting" day for us red dudes, we get to go stomping around on all them land mines and blast us a lot of them neat evil dude type pop up targets while everyone else in XP land is busy getting all wormied, blown up & massacred.

Grin      

Justin, will we ever hear from you again, or did you sit on a booby trapped toilet seat and got yerself all smithereenied on us?

Black Tuesday leads to Wormy Wednesday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m6UKS1L0YQ

« Last Edit: 04/01/14 at 03:48:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 04/01/14 at 04:02:52

And I like this one too, this is where Loki the worm master tries to directly infect the red suit bearer by transferring his evil directly into Tony's  heart  --  and Loki gets him a real surprise.   When you are running Linux the protection goes all the way to the core, from the heart out.  

Even when you are not suited up, Linux cannot be infected by Window's worms. 

Watch the expression on Loki's face when his evil infection just doesn't do anything .... and he tries again and again and it just doesn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3GF1x0-VX0

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 04/01/14 at 09:39:07

http://betanews.com/2014/01/30/windows-xp-home-users-should-upgrade-to-linux-...

Beta News is one of many sources of information about the XP death disaster we are now in the less than a week left countdown period.  

Beta News is not,  however,  attached to any particular flavor of Linux. But they do have a recommendation for best distro path for the XP people fleeing the foundering XP ship Titanic to take.

The penguin with the baseball bat implies that Linux people are the ones killing XP -- nope, that would be Microsoft now wouldn't it?

Microsoft should be depicted as a vampire carrying a blood collection device and the penguin should be smacking the vampire, not busting out panes of glass in any windows.

Wink    The image, boys, got watch the image ....

« Last Edit: 04/01/14 at 22:31:28 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #44 - 04/01/14 at 22:19:04

Speaking of things that mangle up a Windows machine (and can affect a dual boot arrangement) is the infamous boot sector (or boot kit)  attack.

Microsoft does not like Linux and they try to kill off a dual boot arrangement "accidentally" every once and a while by installing new software updates that replace the boot loader with a bone stock MS version.

There is a Linux tool for that, it is called the Boot Repair disk.  If you run off CDs, it comes on a CD.   If you run thumb drives, it comes on a thumb drive.  

The key thing is you need to have it already sitting in your software box when the need arises -- so go here, read up, burn you a copy on to your favorite bootable media and set it aside for when you need it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

This boot disc (or thumb drive as the case may be) is stuck in place and the machine rebooted.   It detects what you have and if you have over 2 OS's on your machine it asks you for the boot order for them.   Beyond that, it is a fully automatic no-brainer fix.

(the very best kind !!!)

This disk is step #1 to figuring out what just happened to your machine when it won't boot.  I have used this disk 3 times in my years of Linux use, once because MS screwed me up on purpose, once because I screwed myself up repairing Windows (ignorance, really) and once because of a boot kit attack virus.

This disk is worth it -- trust me.

As Microsoft gets more and more desperate, you can count on them "helpfully" replacing your boot loader for you at least once or twice to remove that "unauthorized access" to all that "illegal copies of software" that they just detected on your machine.

It is all part of your journey to the point you finally throw MS off your machine as not really doing anything useful for you and for being just a plain bad citizen with all their various arrogant behaviors.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 18:35:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.