Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rear belt pully squeak (Read 379 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Rear belt pully squeak
Reply #15 - 12/21/13 at 18:04:49

Fortunately, it's not jerking and so fourth, but I probably need to do that as well.  Good idea.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #16 - 01/21/14 at 11:12:47

I checked the rear wheel & belt alignment this morning.  I got the back wheel off the ground enough to spin it a bit.  That was what one of the our moderators recommended.  Sorry can't remember who, but a real good idea.  Every time I thought I got the belt straight it would slowly want to go to the left side of the pulley. I checked the tension in the pulley as well.  When on the ground it was nice and stable, but when I loosened everything up and got the rear wheel off the ground that pulley would really wobble.  I'm guessing Dave's mod would help significantly, but more than likely more items need to be replaced.  Does that sound pretty accurate?  As always thanks for your help.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 01/22/14 at 05:20:56

I am going to be taking my rear wheel apart in the next couple of weeks and see what is going on in there.  The rear pulley should not be able to wobble.  The pulley hub has a bearing and seal near the outside edge - the inside edge should engage into the rear wheel hub......and that should prevent the wobble.  I suspect the fit between the pulley and wheel hubs is too loose to prevent the wobble....and the rubber spacers are doing a job they should not be asked to do.  I might try installing a bushing in that area to take up some slack.  (More to come!)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #18 - 01/22/14 at 05:34:45

Thanks Dave, I'll follow the thread.  Your mod looked pretty straight forward, but I think I'm going to need to do more.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #19 - 01/22/14 at 16:54:58

I looked at partsfish and the rear hub today.  There really isn't much room for more than a washer or two as opposed to a bushing.  I suppose I should get the new dampeners and do Dave's mod and see how that works.  I don't know what else to try?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 01/22/14 at 17:02:23

measure the OD on the pulley that'll engage with the hub.
and the ID on the Hub that'll engage with the pulley.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #21 - 01/22/14 at 17:15:23

Sorry, I don't quite understand.  Can you elaborate?  Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 01/23/14 at 03:24:58

Measure where it fits together,, ID = inside diameter
OD = outside diameter
One part slips inside the other,, loose = wobble.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #23 - 01/23/14 at 03:38:04

Thanks, I'm not good with acronyms.   Embarrassed

Will do.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 01/23/14 at 06:35:35

No biggeee, man,, lotsa folks hane no Idea what ID & OD mean,,once youve been around people who use those terms, then ya know.
Dial calipers are very handy. If theyre too pricey, verniers are great & cheap. Problem is, for me anyway, I cant remember how to read them, so, I use them in nasty places & for comparing things,, like if I have a screw & I wanna punch a pilot hole thats gonna be just a little tight on the shank & let the threads cut in, then I measure the shank between threads & then find a drill bit that will almost fit in the caliper jaws.
If ya get a dial caliper, keep the track ( those tiny little teeth that drive the dial) clean & never slam it shut. The needle on the dial gets moving fast & stops fast & starts spinning on the shaft. Itll mess them up,, Ive got some Dillon calipers, bought used for $20.00. Of course, you can get the electronic ones from Harbor Freight. Theyre handy. They convert from inches to metric at the push of a button, but the ding dang battery just doesnt last.I keep one in the refrigerator for that time when I NEED that thing,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 01/23/14 at 08:40:18

I will have mine apart in a week or two and check the ID/OD thing....along with placing an o-ring or nylon tie over the pulley hub to confirm how much engagement occurs when it is assembled.  There just seems to be an excessive amount of play for some reason.....the cause is a mystery at this point.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #26 - 01/23/14 at 13:19:24

Yeah please do Dave. i'd b real interested in your findings. I put pieces of cut up inner tube jst like that pic u posted. It did take most of the slack out and it does keep it from wobbling...but it feels like we shouldn't have to do that

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 01/23/14 at 21:12:34

Think about the pounding that rubber takes,, consider how cheap the bikes are, yea,, we are gonna hafta do some things,,

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #28 - 01/24/14 at 03:42:43

I'm guessing those pads have evaporated on mine.  Calipers were $19-30 at harbor as well.  I'm going to pull that rear end apart in the next couple days.  To cold to do it now.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 01/24/14 at 09:57:59

Call a machine shop supply house,, call a machine shop, dont trust HF to have the best deal.Graingers..

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/tools/test-measurement/calipers-dial/fowler...

YOu can get USA made

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 19:56:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear belt pully squeak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.