front fork (Read 80 times)
redpiranha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ct
front fork
02/01/14 at 15:42:01

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and have a couple of quick questions. I just bought a 2006 s40 with 300 miles on it to build a bobber out of. While the overall condition is not bad it wasn't really taken care of to well. While the mileage is low it was stored In a damp garage and and not cleaned before it was put away . The fork seals are leaking pretty badly and there is some minor rust spots on the tubes. I can catch a nail on the the rust spots . they are very tiny spots but I think they are what caused the seal to leak. Do you think I can polish these out and keep the tubes or should I just look at finding some better ones ? Also what is a good small battery to use for this project the stocker is huge !

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: front fork
Reply #1 - 02/01/14 at 16:27:39

Howdy,.. welcome...

I'd try polishing it of... It's not like this is a 1,000lb, touring bike that's gonna' go 25k a year...
...an 06' with 300 miles shouldn't have rotted seals... they may just be dry from sitting... but, polish the pits off anyway...

For a mini battery,.. check  here...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1259644714

Lot'za info in the Tech Section... and it has a table of contents...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
redpiranha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ct
Reply #2 - 02/01/14 at 17:02:43

I already searched and read those battery posts. The battery that is listed while it is small is a little weak. I'd like something close to stock in ah and cold crank amps. looks like i'll have to buy an expensive lithium battery. I guess I don't have much to lose by trying to polish the tubes .  I'll give it a shot . thanks

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 02/01/14 at 17:11:19

redpiranha wrote on 02/01/14 at 15:42:01:
The fork seals are leaking pretty badly and there is some minor rust spots on the tubes. I can catch a nail on the the rust spots . they are very tiny spots but I think they are what caused the seal to leak. Do you think I can polish these out and keep the tubes or should I just look at finding some better ones ?

If it only has 300 miles on it I doubt the pits caused the seal failure. It hasn't been ridden enough to rub the seals on the pits. Sounds like rotted seals. I'd polish the pits and ride it and save up for some new tubes.

IP Logged
redpiranha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ct
Reply #4 - 02/03/14 at 15:06:10

I do believe the seal failure was caused by the fork condition as the rust spots are actually raised out from the fork surface by quite a bit . They only became pits after I sanded them down a bit and cleaned them . After doing some online research I ordered this ( Chronotron  92  Acid Core Solder 1/16 ) and I'm going to try filling the pits in with it and sanding them smooth.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 20:34:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front fork

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.