Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Long Term Fuel Storage Test (Read 722 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Long Term Fuel Storage Test
Reply #45 - 02/24/14 at 11:12:12

& dont forget, our gas tanks are vented,, IDK if you drilled a tiny hole in the caps or not,,
Good lookin experiment,, thank you for doing it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #46 - 02/24/14 at 13:01:30

Dave were those pump gas with ethanol? and your stabilizer?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 02/24/14 at 13:25:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/24/14 at 11:12:12:
& dont forget, our gas tanks are vented,, IDK if you drilled a tiny hole in the caps or not,

I drilled 1/16" holes in the caps, and was careful to store the bottles deep in the woodshed where they would not be subject to any rain or snow blowing directly in on the bottles.  They were however subject to the temperature and humidity swings.

The premium pump fuel had no stabilizer added, and one of the regular pump fuels had Startron added....and it still did a phase seperation and rusted the steel and is working on the aluminum.  The regular pump fuel that I got December 17th has not yet shown any issues.

« Last Edit: 03/19/15 at 05:03:10 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #48 - 02/24/14 at 13:38:51

Cool, mang,, thanks for doin this

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #49 - 02/25/14 at 08:48:48

Dave wrote on 02/24/14 at 13:25:23:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/24/14 at 11:12:12:
& dont forget, our gas tanks are vented,, IDK if you drilled a tiny hole in the caps or not,

The premium pump fuel had not stabilizer added, and one of the regular pump fuels had Startron added....and it still did a phase seperation and rusted the steel and is working on the aluminum.  The regular pump fuel that I got December 17th has not yet shown any issues.

So what is Startron? a stabilizer for winter storage? And does your pump fuels have ethanol?  Just trying to figure if I have to use a stabilizer at all now Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 02/25/14 at 09:19:31

Startron is an enzyme treatment that is supposed to be the right fuel treatment to correct ethanol related problems.  It is sold at most auto, motorcycle and hardware stores.  I used it instead of Sta-Bil in the test as it specifically claims it is for ethanol fuels.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

Yes, all the pump fuels in this area have 10% ethanol.  I have to drive about an hour away to Liberty, Indiana if I want to buy fuels without ethanol.   I have heard that one of the local marinas may have gasoline without ethanol - but I have not been able to verify that or buy any.  I do buy ethanol free fuel in 55 gallon drums to use in my lawn equipment, and I use about one drum a year and I do add Stabil.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #51 - 02/25/14 at 11:43:50

So its beginning to look like the fuel additive separated the water from the gas and it settled into the bottom rusting and corroding the metal?

I think I might do a test here, so I can judge how long to keep my hurricane gas without worrying if its breaking down.

I have some Stabil, so I could use it. I also have some seafoam.

Going to start saving a few plastic water bottles.

I'm not really concerned about navgas or aircraft grade, i'll go to the pumps that have 3 separate grades with 3 separate hoses, there is one up the road about 2 miles.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #52 - 02/25/14 at 12:31:06

old_rider:

If you keep your hurricane gas in sealed metal containers and add StaBil and store them out of wild temperature swings - the fuel will probably keep 12 months without problems.  The decay happens much faster when oxygen and humidity can enter the containers.

When I am done using the generator I drain all the fuel out and run the engine again and run it until the carb is dry.  I don't want any old sludged up fuel in it......just add new gas when I need it and it starts right up.  Sometimes I will keep a quart or two of Avgas in the tank with the fuel valve on the tank closed....so when I need it I just open the valve and I can get things going while I hunt up the gas cans.  Last time I needed the generator it was 10 degrees below zero.....so the time you save helps keep Momma warm!

« Last Edit: 03/19/15 at 05:04:11 by Dave »  

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #53 - 02/25/14 at 12:41:41

I keep it in approved 5 gallon containers in my 8 x 10 shed out back of the house. Hotter than heck in the summer and cold as it gets is freezing a few weeks during the winter.

Humidity is awful down here and rarely gets below 70% except for in the spring and fall, any other time its 85% or above.

That's why the test for me... we have different climates, so why not do one here?
I've got a few roller bearings, some aluminum pieces, some brass nuts and can get a few rubber o'rings.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #54 - 02/25/14 at 12:44:54

old_rider wrote on 02/25/14 at 12:41:41:
I keep it in approved 5 gallon containers in my 8 x 10 shed out back of the house.

Metal Containers with sealed lids.....no plastic containers.  Plastic allows the fuel and oxygen to permeate through the plastic.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #55 - 02/25/14 at 12:46:19

Looks like I will slowly have to replace my five containers for the hurricane supply this summer. Smiley

Wow, just did a home depot search for a metal 5 gal. $63  !!! holy moly !! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Lowe's  $42.98 !!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Harbor Freight $39.99.... oh my... guess one at a time eh?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #56 - 02/25/14 at 13:13:21

FIFTY FIVE Gallons O Gas a YEAR in "lawn equipment"?? Dude,, Thats Krazeee!   We mow maybe 5 or 6 times / summer.. on a wet year, when it grows fast,, coupla years ago, it hardly rained, we mowed 3 times,,Out in the country, no Homeowners Assholeciation,,Our neighbors wear mowers out,,ours is 7,, & not acting too close to worn out, but, time for blades & a belt this spriing,

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #57 - 02/25/14 at 13:41:44

Avgas 100LL will last for a really long time.  A couple of years ago, a derelict airplane at my airport was finally sold.  It had sat in its hangar for about 10 years.  A couple of guys showed up and worked on it for about a week to get it to the place that the FAA would issue what is called a "ferry permit" which allows it to have one flight, only, to a maintenance facility where it can be thoroughly maintained and returned to airworthy status.  These two guys took off with 10 year old Avgas in the tanks - too cheap to de-fuel and buy new gas.
Avgas does still have lead in it - that's why it's so costly, about $6 a gallon.  The stuff has to be hauled in dedicated tanker trucks, and in dedicated river barges, since you can't use the same truck or barge to haul normal auto fuel without a horribly expensive cleaning regimen.
I put Avgas in my bike every winter, and in the spring, it starts right up.  I run the bike a few minutes after I put in the Avgas to get it down into the fuel lines and the carb.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #58 - 02/25/14 at 13:42:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/25/14 at 13:13:21:
FIFTY FIVE Gallons O Gas a YEAR in "lawn equipment"?? Dude,, Thats Krazeee!   We mow maybe 5 or 6 times / summer.. on a wet year, when it grows fast,

Yep....when May/April arrives we can be mowing every 5 days!  If you let it grow any longer it gets so thick that you get big thick clumps coming out of the mower and it makes a horrible mess.  I mow about 4 acres of grass around my house, the pond and our old house that we rent out.....and it is crazy!  When June comes the growth slows down to once a week cutting.....and when the dry spell arrives in July/Aug/Sept. we can sometimes go 10 -14 days between mowing.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #59 - 02/25/14 at 13:47:39

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 02/25/14 at 13:41:44:
I put Avgas in my bike every winter, and in the spring, it starts right up.  I run the bike a few minutes after I put in the Avgas to get it down into the fuel lines and the carb.

Yep.....me too!  The chainsaws also get a dose of Avgas/oil mix run through them when they are going into storage......then the fuel is dumped out and they idle until the carbs and fuel lines are out of fuel.  They always start right up when I need them and put fresh fuel in.

I would much rather spend some extra time and money on a little Avgas cleansing of the system.....than I would tearing my equipment apart to repair fuel system corrosion issues.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/20/24 at 22:42:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Long Term Fuel Storage Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.