Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Projects: Rizzla+ Cafe Racer (Read 1600 times)
Bitterswede
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Projects: Rizzla+ Cafe Racer
Reply #15 - 08/03/13 at 11:01:06

So, a little on the frame. I cut the back section off the LS from behind the swing-arm pivot to just behind the cylinder head stay and welded in a single back-bone. I left the engine solidly bolted into what was left of the frame for the duration of the build, using this as a method to help maintain alignment. You just have to stuff rags into intake and exhaust ports and cover the engine to protect from welding and grinding. My engine had very low miles so this project did not involve any engine work.

I bent and spliced in a a piece of 1-1/2 square steel for a backbone with heavy gusseting on both ends, picking up the cut-off ends of the frame tubes and the swing-arm pivot tube. This allows the carb to stay where it belongs and I found a good rubber "Cobra" right angle elbow to turn the intake to the side for the air filter. Here's the link;

http://www.purosil.com/cobra.html

The smallest elbow fits the carb, you just have to find an air filter that works. I did some welding on the my air filter sleeve to make this work but the hardest thing seems to be that elbow. Maybe this will help someone out there.

The shock mount is pretty straight-forward, I did not use any of the FZR linkage, aiming for simplicity and I sometimes think all that linkage may be as much marketing as anything else. After some experimenting, I had to move the lower mount aft a little but this set up works great. The seat struts are pieces of left over bicycle or motorcycle frame parts. The battery box is under the swing arm but there's not room here for the stock behemoth and I put in an over-sized Earth-X ETX18B Lithium-Ion battery laying on its side. It fits great and cranks the motor like a champ, even without the compression release and only weighs about 2-LB. All the wiring is under the tank and seat and inside the backbone, so very little wiring is visible.

The rear-sets and controls come complete from the donor FZR600 that I found out in the yard at Bob's Used Cycle Parts in Phoenix, it's a great place for dreaming. The foot-peg mounts are kind of hard to describe, I think you just have to be creative here or buy the Ryca items. I welded 1/8" steel tabs to the frame tubes using the existing muffler mount tab as one tab, for example. To these I mount both the battery box and separately a cross-tube for the foot pegs. This cross tube is lower than ideal and I used bicycle pedal cranks to raise the peg height and this also clears the chain. Kick-stand is a bolt on item from some long-deceased Honda at Bob's. I just welded nuts to the lower frame tube on the LH side, seems to work fine after some adjustment to keep it from dragging in left turns. I still get sparks now and then, especially with a bump in the turn, like turning into my neighborhood.

Enough already, I'm getting long winded. Here's a pic of the frame work. The FZR forks are already in, that was really easy. In this shot I'm using the LS swing arm to guess are shock mount location, etc.

Cheers,

Swede

Savage_135.jpg
  IP Logged
Bitterswede
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/03/13 at 11:27:14

One more shot of the RH side. Loved the Rizzla+ color scheme, tribute to their sense of style, bikes you can easily pick out on the race course. Photo taken on the Bush highway close to Sagauro Lake. Visible here is the aluminum water bottle mounted to the backbone. Some think it's a nitrous bottle but instead, it's the engine breather. Plumbed that to this bottle with a hydraulic tank breather cap (it's 3/4" NPT). The bottle is filled with copper wool and will have to emptied some day. The mount was left over from the YZ 490 which had some sort of surge bottle plumbed in between the carb and reeds. Another marketing coup I suppose. Anyway, it provided a perfect mount for my breather.

Cheers.

2013-07-2809_53_12.jpg
  IP Logged
Bitterswede
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/03/13 at 11:34:50

One more, same spot different angle.

Swede

2013-07-2809_52_33.jpg
  IP Logged
Bitterswede
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/03/13 at 12:20:00

OK one more. I couldn't resist the signs. How can you be sure you're in Arizona? Click on the link to the picture and check out the signs. No parking anytime but you apparently can shoot as long as you're not close to buildings. There's a little resort just 100 yards behind me in this photo.

LOL

Swede

2013-07-2810_01_04.jpg
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #19 - 08/03/13 at 13:31:24

Wow thats alot of work. Here in NZ we would need to get that Certified before it could legally be ridden on the road.

IP Logged
Bitterswede
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/06/13 at 11:48:17

paulmarshall wrote on 08/03/13 at 13:31:24:
Wow thats alot of work. Here in NZ we would need to get that Certified before it could legally be ridden on the road.

At what point would it be necessary to inform the authorities that you were modifying the bike? This bike was already titled and licensed; and as long as the frame serial number remains the same, I can replace a wheel, or an  engine, or complete forks or just bolt on a new headlight and it is of no concern to the state. And what kind of expertise might a bureaucrat possess to enable them to assess the safety of any such modification?

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #21 - 08/06/13 at 12:31:55

Bitterswede wrote on 08/06/13 at 11:48:17:
paulmarshall wrote on 08/03/13 at 13:31:24:

At what point would it be necessary to inform the authorities that you were modifying the bike? This bike was already titled and licensed; and as long as the frame serial number remains the same, I can replace a wheel, or an  engine, or complete forks or just bolt on a new headlight and it is of no concern to the state. And what kind of expertise might a bureaucrat possess to enable them to assess the safety of any such modification?

Any bolt on part is not a problem however cutting and welding of the frame which changes the original design is a different storey. These sort of mods will be picked up at the 6 monthly WOF (Warrant of Fitness) test, if the vehicle is over 3 years old. Sad

IP Logged
Bitterswede
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 08/14/13 at 19:47:25

Wow, that's unfortunate. In the spirit of your countryman, Burt Munro, we should be able to modify our rides. He cast his own pistons and set world speed records on cracked tires. So the legend goes. He's certainly part of my inspiration.

Cheers.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #23 - 07/31/14 at 13:32:25

Bitterswede wrote on 07/31/13 at 18:28:34:
Fun project with a 2001 Savage. 1960's Yamaha tank, 1960's Ward's Riverside/Benelli headlight, 1980's Honda 500 Interceptor chin fairing. Forks, swing arm, wheels and brakes are from 1990's Yamaha FZR600. Mono-shock is Yamaha R6, seat homemade Fiberglass. Exhaust is homemade mandrel bent 1-3/4" steel into 9" glass-pack and 3" turn-out.

Hi did the Honda Chin Fairing fit easily?

IP Logged
Bitterswede
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 08/01/14 at 07:00:38

Hi, I got an email about your post, there hasn't been any activity on this thread for 11-months but I'm happy to respond. The Honda 500 Interceptor chin fairing fits quite easily. It's mounted from it's original holes in the top via the top front engine-mount and foot-peg bolt. This bolt is a little wider than the fairing but being plastic you could spread the fairing a little. Personally, I cut about a half inch off each side of the Savage engine mount to tuck it in with the engine side covers, and BTW that steel tube appears to be hardened, no way to saw it had to be ground off. Then on the right side I used the Savage muffler hanger tab on the frame with a little 90-deg bent piece of sheet metal for a bracket. On the left rear side I cut the tail off the fairing and then had to trim it by about a half inch for the diameter of the alternator housing. There is a gap on the RH side where the Savage header used to run, but after a while you stop seeing that. Maybe a good place for an oil-cooler...

The bike runs strong, it's my commuter and I've put about 3,000 miles on since my last post. I love it and wouldn't change a thing. With that exhaust turn-out, riders stopped next to me tell me they can feel the blast. When I start it in the garage, it blows things around. A truly fun project and a great ride.

Cheers,

Scott

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #25 - 08/01/14 at 13:48:45

Thanks Scott. Smiley

IP Logged
Albert Verdugo

Riding is freedom!

Baja California
Reply #26 - 11/14/14 at 08:18:44

WOW! looks very cool! realy like the belly pan and the front lights. ANd changing the forks and add a monoshock, that is hard work! Cheesy

IP Logged
inglourioushoko
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 10/11/15 at 01:26:09

Awesome build. Really dig the mish-mash of different parts, along with that monoshock. Bravo

IP Logged
savagekidd
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 06/12/16 at 23:17:20

I know this is an old post but wow, good looking fighters! Wink

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #29 - 06/13/16 at 16:10:53

Awfully nice1

A tremendous amount of work very nicely done. Yeah!

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 23:36:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Projects: Rizzla+ Cafe Racer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.