Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run, Summer, 2014... (Read 5605 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Dragon Run, Summer, 2014...
Reply #120 - 11/18/13 at 15:28:48

Good to hear garmin is just as good as iphone.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #121 - 11/18/13 at 21:55:18

OK MM, what rifle-ish calibers will you be a shooting at them there targets?   So far I just hear 30-30 ....

Describe your cartridges, them bullet tipped brass thangs, so I can try to bring some of the same.  

Ammo is scarce, so it would be nice to have some to shoot.

I won't be poking holes in your steel, 'cepting that 350 yard deer-like booger may take some light SMK damage to the haid bone.

Well OldFeller
I like to shoot my 222 with cast 60gr. bullets running about 22mag speed plus a little ...  Smiley

If your bringing your 7mm version of 308Winchester then a target paper frame and milk jugs are about the only thing you can't tear-up.   excluding the milk jugs of-course !  Grin Grin     I Guess the good news is I have plenty of paper targets to staple to the foam board and/or trees.   I have the same problem when I get my .243 out.   Milk jugs and 2L bottle  up on the hill at up to 500yds are a good challange , if popping them from a steady rest gets to be booring then you can allways try 500yds 2L jugs of hand.  Huh   I find ranges past 400yds are challanging couse the wind and temperature mess with your bullets.    Angry .

I haven't bought any ammo except 22LR and 32 acp in  a really long time, and the only jackets I've bought in the last 10 years are .243 and .223 's.    I buy GasChecks for .357's , 222's and 30-30's.  

Whats your favorite rifle ?    I've noticed rifle ammo is about a $1.00 a pop now,  I'm thinking about getting one of those dual cal. air rifles from WalMart for $98.00.  Cheesy. 1200fps in 177 and 950fps in 22 cal. ought to be hard hitting enough for back yard fun.  Smiley  I've got a set of "Iron Turkey" and homemake "swinging" target for pellets too.  Kinda like a "Flint-Lock" you doin't have to make powder for! Grin

I like my GARMIN's  got three of them now. One lives in my car, one lives in wife's car , and the other one keeps a motorcycle as the Icon.  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #122 - 11/18/13 at 23:20:41

I have been thinking of buying me a 30-06 or 30-30 for dear huntin'

I noticed wally world still has some 30-06 ammo all the time, so if I go that route i'll tour all 4-5 wally worlds in the area and buy them out.

And then maybe keep the brass and buy me a re-loader for them, that is if powder and primers all available.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #123 - 11/19/13 at 04:38:29

How recoil sensitive are you?  

30-30 is a low kicking quick second shot lever action.   Very popular for short range deer hunting up to about 250 yards (ie most deer hunting).  Shoots lead very well too.

30-06 is a long heavy bolt action (slow second shot) and it kicks your shoulder up at the 20+ ft pound level which is acknowledged by all gun writers as being about as much as normal shooters can stand without developing a nasty flinch.

Seriously, you might want to hold off on the big gun buy stuff until after the trip --- you will get the chance to handle and shoot both guns and see which one really suits you best.

=================

Favorite rifle?   It changes, periodically.   I like the 7mm-08 for a steady lately but I will date around some.

500 yards and 1 liter pop bottles --- we shall have some fun, shan't we?

Cartridge list

30-30
30-06
7mm-08

« Last Edit: 11/19/13 at 08:51:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #124 - 11/19/13 at 09:33:57

I've shot both, I grew up around guns..... lots of them... from black powder to big azz elephant type slug throwers.
Hardest kickin' one I ever shot was a double barrel 10 guage, pulled both triggers at the same time... couldn't use the arm for 2 days, but I disintegrated that mailbox!
My adopted dad had an old british enfield that he had shortened the barrel on, was a great dear rifle.
I did most of my dear hunting with a 30-06 bolt action with a 12X20 zoom scope, some  times we would take the old 12 guage pump and some slugs and walk the deep grass fields and catch'm sleepin'.
I've even taken deer with my bow, a 45# hand laminated recurve white wing called a "chapparell"... just recently I went out and got me some new carbon arrows and i'm going to start practicing again to get my arm strength back up.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #125 - 11/19/13 at 12:27:08

old rider

if your thinking of reloading a full size brass then stay in the 308 winchester family (.243,7mm-08,308,358win.) ,  that 30-06 group (.25-06,270Winchester,30-06,358rem.) is leftover from the blackpowder days and has WAY-TO-MUCH space inside for any kind of accuracy with anything but mass quanitys of the slowest powders.  Wink

unless your going after elphants and elk , Cheesy then the .223 family will do anything you want.  I think there is a 6mm version.(6X45).     You know bigger bullets cost more than smaller ones ?    I've never investagated where the 7.62X39 goes and becomes but there may be something there too.   I know "Cheeper than dirt" turns loose of there AK rounds a lot easier than $1.00 per pop !  Grin

Check out the cost of bullets , check millitary supplus verses comerical brass prices , then go to:http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
look at the powder required to run the speeds you want.  Smiley it might save ya a buck or two !  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #126 - 11/19/13 at 15:06:36

Check the various hunting boards for a discussion or two for "the best deer rifle".   The arguments have swung completely away from 30-06 and 270 and 7mm magnum  unless you are talking elk and moose.  

Deer is specifically the perview of the cup & core bullets in the  small to medium calibers bullets in the 308 cartridge case family.   Fancy  bullets are not even recommended by the gun gurus because they don't even start to open up until they are exiting the deer.

Bullets  and powder have gotten a whole lot better than they were when we were young.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #127 - 11/20/13 at 05:21:32

I thought the gun questions were being moved to this thread?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1382594611

Just Sayin............

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #128 - 11/20/13 at 12:32:46

Those big 'uns were the hard core reloading questions that I took over to the new thread, on purpose, as it would take too long to answer them here.

These here were the simple easy questions/discussions about what calibers folks are bringing so I can try to have some ammo for them (it's hard to find the stuff now-a-days, expensive too).  

Old-rider was planning on buying something, so we offered feedback, MM and I.

It is a scoot and shoot, after all .....    gots to talk about guns a little bit now and again.

(them moddyraters are soooo silly sometimes, don't cha know it?)

Grin     especially them oldie ones

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #129 - 11/20/13 at 13:48:13

If I make it, it'll be 45 round ball and #11 caps.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #130 - 11/20/13 at 17:45:51

OK.....anybody got an extra #12 cap?  I loaded up an old muzzle loader I had as a kid...then found out my #11 caps don't fit, and they no longer make #12 caps anymore.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #131 - 11/20/13 at 18:47:29

Can you change the nipple over to a current size in the bolster?

IE,  buy a emplacement current style nipple?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #132 - 11/20/13 at 20:52:59

I use those little red ones from the dollar store unless I'm hunting.  they are a lot smaller than #11's.  
But they press onto a #11 nipple  with a little help !  Wink
Heck !   it a muzzle loader , There made to be played with ! Grin

Dave ,
What kinda front loader ya got ?

Versy
I do cap and ball too,  sometimes with bullets instead of balls.!
mine will take any .451 projectile you want to send down-range , including jacketed ones.

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #133 - 11/21/13 at 03:16:04

MM.....My rifle is a small caliber gun that my dad gave me when I was a kid.  It was built in the 1800's and I shot it a lot when I was young.  I used an M1 30 caliber shell as the powder measure.

I guess I will have to take the nipple off and get one that is #11 size.  My dad hat a lot of #12 primers.....and until a few weeks ago I didn't know that I could not get primers for it.  My wife's school was taking a field trip to Metamor Indiana, and the teachers always get to shoot the muzzle loaders and the best shot gets a prize.  I loaded up my gun so she could practicde and get used to the double triggers and the weight - but then I discovered I didn't hvae any primers that worked.....and that no one has an #12 primer caps anymore.

Dave

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #134 - 11/26/13 at 09:29:56

Dave
That sounds like a 32 cal.  I had one , but wore the rifles out using 10 grs. powder and 45 gr round balls.   So I cylinder bored it out to a 410 shotgun size. (still got it).  Accuality the 10yr old boy I used to baby sit for helped a lot.  

He loved to shoot , so I'd turn him loose with the little 32.   Well he shot so much I made the nipple hole a little bigger and tappered the nipple top a little so those little red platic (dollar store) caps would fit.  I was molding .31 round balls but they were a little small so I  bought two 5# boxes of buck-shot (00 ?)   He loved it and so did I . Cheesy  

I forget is #12 bigger or smaller than #11 ?   A revolver trick is to "PINCH" the sides of a #11 in a little so the recoil woin't "BOUNCE" them off.

I'm saving 2LT. bottle for us to use as water jugs and we allways can use water baloones too.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:31:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run, Summer, 2014...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.